• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

According to Pierre from CoasterForce, Velocity recently reopened from an extended period of maintenance… and for reasons unknown, they have upped the minimum height restriction to a bafflingly high 5ft/1.52m: https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...eme-park-industry.42689/page-176#post-1177720

I’m a bit flummoxed by what could possibly have brought this on. Even though it has odd, uncomfortable restraints, Velocity isn’t even a particularly intense or rough ride.

5ft must easily be the highest height restriction I’ve ever heard of on a coaster… a number of shorter adults will be shut out of that!
That's very interesting. I'm assuming that the maintenance revealed something unforeseen, leading to the increased height restriction, because 5ft as a minimum height restriction would normally be considered absurd.

I not been on Tron at Disney yet or Velocity.
But with Tron reaching 60mph has only a 48 inch minimum height but Velocity only going 54mph but got a nearly 60 inch minimum height.
I can’t understand why the same manufacturer got such a big difference in height.
As even my 12 year old Daughter ain’t even tall enough for Velocity.

Having ridden TRON and other motorbike coaster, the train and restraint system is different on TRON compared to a normal Booster Bike.

Most notably, the legs are pinned in from behind the knee/calf as opposed to the cuff that comes down over the thighs with the handlebars that you will find in Velocity.

Aside from the riding positing, the trains are very different, which undoubtedly contributes to different restrictions.

The Booster Bike at Toverland is still listing 1.4 metres:

It might be that Flamingo Land were simply quicker to update their height requirement, or that other parks aren't following a technical bulletin. Or for some reason Velocity has a different design issue to other similar rides. My hunch is that it's an internal decision rather than a manufacturer decision, but we'll see what happens with other similar rides over time. It is a very high requirement.

There is also insurance company insistence...maybe going for the old "cheaper premium" with a "safer" limit?
The thing is though that 152cm really isn’t a ride height restriction that we see on coasters, it must be an extremely rare one. That makes me think that this is to do with something related physically or mechanically to the restraints and how they operate, especially if this change to the height restriction has been introduced mid season rather than at the start of the season (if that is indeed the case) rather than an insurance premium issue?

Insurance doesn't always start with the season.
Issues (many) at other, similar independent parks have brought in new procedures due to insurance company insistence... new brakes, new safety belts, additional cameras to prove rider fault etc.
All to keep a ride in use, and fully insured.

The Booster Bike at Toverland is still listing 1.4 metres:

It might be that Flamingo Land were simply quicker to update their height requirement, or that other parks aren't following a technical bulletin. Or for some reason Velocity has a different design issue to other similar rides. My hunch is that it's an internal decision rather than a manufacturer decision, but we'll see what happens with other similar rides over time. It is a very high requirement.
100% sounds like a Flamingo Land decision rather than a Vekoma decision.

It is a rather high height requirement and only other coaster with a similar height requirement was Airbender at Camel Creek.

It brings me back to the days when Lightwater Valley had their pirate ship at 1.4m 😱

It is a rather high height requirement and only other coaster with a similar height requirement was Airbender at Camel Creek.

It brings me back to the days when Lightwater Valley had their pirate ship at 1.4m 😱
That’s surprising to hear that Airbender had such a high height requirement seeing as it’s now at Lightwater Valley as a 1.2m attraction.

That’s surprising to hear that Airbender had such a high height requirement seeing as it’s now at Lightwater Valley as a 1.2m attraction.
I've just looked it up for clarity, that was the unaccompanied height restriction, the accompanied one was still high at 1.3m 😱

Definitely knew it had a bonkers height requirement at the time.

Certainly contrasts what other Zyklons have their requirements at.