• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Florida 2015 including Carowinds and Six Flags over Georgia: My thoughts

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
I will be writing a paragraph or two on each of the parks visited, giving my thoughts and impressions on them. I don't intend to go into too much detail but hopefully it may be of interest to some people!

Parks will be reviewed in the following order and when completed, will be made bold.

Busch Gardens Tamps
Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdon
Disney's Hollywood Studios

Universal Studios
Islands of Adventure
Epcot
Carowinds
Six Flags over Georgia
LEGOLAND Florida
Funspot Orlando

Busch Gardens Tampa

We visited BGT twice during the holiday. Overall, I wasn't as impressed as I was in 2010 - but saying that, Kumba and Montu still blow my mind. Truly exceptional coasters and worth the admission alone. Perhaps it is visiting Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2013 that has reduced my view on this park - but it feels somewhat lacking. I don't know whether it's the fact that beyond the rollercoasters, there is practically nothing of note (drop tower aside) or whether it's the fairly poor operations. The park itself is quite pleasant for the most part - with animal encounters all over the place, creating a sort of 'high thrill' version of Chessington but without dark rides.

The park close rides far too easily when it rains. On our first day, there was a full 4 hour outage. We were told it's a 15 mile lightning strike policy - whereas in Orlando it is only 5 at Disney and Universal... And, with BGT having no indoor rides - there's practically NOTHING to do. There are some reasonable shows, but these are only on twice or three times so you can't just go whenever, obviously.

Cheetah Hunt was new since my 2010 visit and I found it wholly average. It is long and has some fun moments, but ultimately is neither as full on as the likes of Maverick nor as family/thrill balanced as Helix or Blue Fire. It's just... very average. Falcon's Fury was also new and most of the group seemed to like it - although it does brake from around 70% up the tower - making quite a controlled experience.

Operations were poor. SheiKra had a 25 minute queue with only 1/2 loading... the Mack mouse only 1/2 loaded in the rain due to failing brakes. Montu, which was running 3 trains on our first visit, was constantly double stacked...

Overall, BGT is worthy of your time as it does have some standout coasters - but ultimately it doesn't have the charm of Williamsburg, the dark rides of Universal nor the operations of Disney.

:)

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom

Probably the main park people associate with Orlando - and for good reason. It's a great place and definitely my favourite of all the Florida theme parks. Of course, there are bigger rides elsewhere, but the Magic Kingdom is a place where you can definitely relax and indulge in your inner child.

Being my second time at MK, I knew what to expect - but there were new attractions, including both The Little Mermaid and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I am a big fan of Space Mountain at both Orlando and Paris - but the track style and layout of Orlando makes it into such a fun experience. I doubt it travels more than 25mph but it feels like such a lot more given the exposed design of the very comfy ride vehicles. It is probably my favourite indoor coaster, but it's in good company as I really like a lot of indoor rides! The airtime and jarring nature of some of the drops is so exciting. On front row it is genuinely quite a hair raising experience. Big Thunder Mountain in Frontierland was better than I remembered also, some fast helixes and nice pops here and there. The last section of track though is laughable... shockingly bland!

The new attractions were overall good, with Little Mermaid being very good and Seven Dwarfs being a little worse than my expectation. With it being the newest coaster at WDW - you would expect much more but, like Expedition Everest, I feel it never truly gets going. With a modest height, it was never going to be anything particularly exciting - but it doesn't deliver in many ways. There are some nice animatronics in the dark ride, but the dark ride itself is only 45 seconds long. The highlight is singing along to the music on the 2nd lifthill, but overall - not what it could have been. The Mermaid dark ride on the other hand - bang on. Absolutely great, super design, wonderful animatronics and a sing-a-long festival if ever there was one.

One thing I did notice on this visit was where Paris tried to get one over them. As much as the reputation of Paris has been mixed over the years - not least the upkeep, I can see what the imagineers tried to do better than MK. For example, on the railroad at MK - on several occasions you pass roads and cars - and see things outside of the park. The berm isn't effective or there isn't one at all. Similarly, on Splash Mountain, on certain outdoor sections, you can see the roofs of buildings - complete with air conditioning units, fire escapes and more! Also, some show buildings are clear to see - which might be OK at Universal - but at Disney, you don't expect that. I know it is hair-splitting, but with Disney it is the little things that matter and, whilst MK is better overall, I now have a little more appreciation for the beauty of Parc Disneyland in Paris - the Adventurelands in both parks don't begin to compare. Another example is the way that areas are less discrete than Paris - the Tea Cups of Fantasyland, for example, are next door to the Tomorrowland Speedway... ouch!

It also frustrates me the lack of beer. The other parks serve it and there aren't drunken louts anywhere so get over yourself MK, and start serving!

Overall though, despite the above criticism, MK is a quality park and one which I just love going back to - from the open spaces of Fantasyland, to the great queue and ride at Haunted Mansion - it's Florida down to a tee and a brilliant park which is fully recommended. If it is your first ever visit, my advice? Park up by 8.00am. Take the boat across, and stand outside the railroad station by 8.40am (just inside the turnstiles) - the opening ceremony just makes that Disney experience complete!

Tip: If it is your second day at MK, having seen Wishes from the proper viewing point on the first night - try standing outside Peter Pan - or somewhere just behind the castle - on night 2. Trust me - it is SCARY!

:D

Animal Kingdom

Definitely the most beautiful park in 2010, when I last visited - and still today, AK is one of the most beautiful theme parks in the world. Around every corner, authentic details have been added and it is immersion at its finest.

There's some excellent food and beverage options - with Harambe Market offering 5 or 6 different African specialities (the ribs are superb) and Yak & Yeti serving one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

Unfortunately, rides is where AK is let down and still, for now at least, there is a lack. During my visit, the Dinoland USA area was redundant, with Primeval Whirl down for work. Of course, Primeval Whirl is rubbish so it doesn't really matter. Dinosaur remained a cracking dark ride, probably my favourite Disney dark ride in Orlando. Really atmospheric, dark and loud!

Kali River Rapids remains beautiful - but painfully unexciting. Compared to many other rapids, not a lot actually happens. The logging scene is a delight, well themed and thought through - but with just one drop/wave section (which is impressive on its own of course) - the rest is just casual floating about. It is also short.

Expedition Everest really impressed in 2010, but sadly this time I wasn't so fond of it. I don't know whether it is the lack of a big scene on the ride, or whether it's the fact that it feels short (even though, in theory it isn't) - a lot of hanging about. The first pre-lift section just feels pointless, and the high speed sections are pretty much entirely left handed banked curves. The main drop at the back does provide some sensation. However, I am afraid that the ride just isn't as good as I remembered and is over before it really gets started. Of course the theming/queue are exceptional - but it's just a bit... bland, as a ride. Give me an amazing dark ride scene or some animatronics, Disney!

Kilimanjaro Safari is excellent - a very long and interesting ride, which is recommended before 11am otherwise it's too hot for the animals. It lasts around 20 minutes and really does show off some amazing wildlife. If you think it is Zufari+, think again - it's far, far better in every way.

The Bugs Life 4D remains good, but beyond that - there isn't another ride. Avatar is under construction and so is the new show, Rivers of Life. This means a good amount of boarding and fencing is up around the park, which isn't ideal for guests. Some of the vistas are currently not vistas due to construction, so it is not really the best time to visit AK.

Unlike in 2010, this time I experienced both treks - including the Maharajah Jungle Trek. Both are well recommended, take 15-20 minutes and allow you closer animal encounters. There are plenty of helpful staff around and it is genuinely interesting - and beautiful.

With AK, it's always been form over function as a theme park, namely as there just is not enough to do - hopefully by 2010, with two new rides and a major new evening show - it will finally be able to justify its rightful place as a Walt Disney World theme park.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Another park that is currently going through something of a transformation. Although - DHS is just at the start of what should be a very exciting few years.

With only 5 bona-fide rides to its name, DHS is rather like Animal Kingdom in that it lacks rides - badly. The new additions planned should somewhat address this, and a 3rd track for Midway Mania will at least loosen up the gargantuan queue that seems to snake outside of the building on a daily basis.

Tower of Terror remains first class although, contrary to popular opinion, Paris' is largely better with exception to the wonderful forward motion section and queue line. The exterior of the building to the front, entrance lobby, boiler room and physical drop sensation are all better in Paris. That said, the Florida version is exceptional and is one of the best rides in Orlando. Rock n Rollercoaster is much the same ride, but without the lights. The story in fact makes much better sense than what is on the table in Paris - and the façade of the building is much much better. That said, once it's launched - I do prefer Paris because of the amazing lights.

Toy Story Midway Mania, the ride which gets 1 to 2 hour queues (even on a quieter day, the queue will be up to an hour) - is fun - but not amazing. It's the same ride system as Maus au Chocolat, which is great but - nothing really special.

Star Tours has been reworked into "the adventure continues" since my last visit and, whilst it's slicker, it's pretty much the same thing - just with a range of different stories so there's more re-rideability. Still a great, classic feeling attraction. The only other ride in DHS is The Great Movie Ride, which I find largely a bit old hat. Saying that, some of it is good fun.

The atmosphere in DHS is second to none - and always is there something going on. A range of good shows - including Indiana Jones - take place daily, and are essential to any visitor. Food and beverage is good, too - we took the Fantasmic Dining Package and a lovely lunch at Mama Melrose's Italian. The steak was to die for.

As with all WDW parks, Starbucks have taken up residence on the main entrance street - which is great news. Quality hot and cold beverages, reasonably priced.

I finally got to see Fantasmic this time - and I was glad I did. The show is absolutely phenomenal and features a massive arrangement of special effects, fireworks, pyro, music, lights and more. It's around 25 minutes in length too, so you get a good value for your visit. The dragon is just amazing! Well worth it. I saw it twice.

During the summer, DHS also hosted Frozen Summer Fireworks (these have now ended). Definitely one of the best short fireworks displays I have seen. The DJ playing tunes followed by the fireworks going off all over the park to Frozen music was amazing. They were so loud and come highly recommended. The fireworks were also synced with live action on the stage. Wow!

With DHS, I don't know where the time goes - but our day passed and we had a good one. We returned again for a repeat of Fantasmic, and some more on Star Tours, ToT and Rock n Roller. I can't wait to see this park get some love in the next 5 years - because once it does, it will be absolutely top drawer.