• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2014

I've never had any complaints about FF&C other than the diabolically slow service. The addition of Burger Kitchen however makes the service in there these days look as quick as your average EP dispatch time.

If anything nowadays, I have to thank AT for bringing in such crappy food outlets because I eat and spend a lot less on food now compared to years gone by. When McD was there it would be a bacon and egg muffin to start in the morning, followed by a meal at lunchtime, and probably a burger in the afternoon. When Pizza and pasta was a sensible price, I used to stuff my face in there as well.

Now I just usually have one meal at lunchtime, and thats it. Cant really afford much more given the prices, which, dont warrant the quality of the food. I was shocked over scarefest to see a hot dog meal is now over £7 !!!

It's the one thing Merlin are consistent with, price rises. Multiple times per season across multiple areas usually coinciding with a drop in quality.

They're expensive now and I just don't think the quality remotely justifies the price anymore.

It's nowhere near 'good value' but do/will people keep paying it? Of course. Just like service stations, cinema's and airports. (Personally, with a MAP discount, it's one of the cheapest pints I ever buy at AT!)

As much as price increases are 'bad,' 95% of visitors won't even know there has been one and just stump up the cash without a second thought. You will find that people take x amount, and it all gets spent, if you get a lot, or a little, the same amount is being spent. From a business sense, which let's not forget, M£rlin are, if people are paying more for less, then why on earth would you not implement the rises? Unless people stop spending, this trend will continue indefinitely. I'm not defending M£rlin for a second here, many of their business decisions are terrible, rushed and go against what should be everyone in the industry's mission statement. Do I blame them? No; I blame us, as a consumer, letting these giants walk over us where we should be voting with our feet & our wallets. I say all this, but I love AT, personally, I would never carry a packed lunch round with me all day, walk back to the car-park at lunch, or deprive myself of a beer when I fancy one, so as much as my post is hypocritical, they have me by the knacker sack with regards to spending on resort. Do I really care? Not at all, if I enjoy my day, isn't that what money is for?

See the irony is when prices where cheaper I used to spend more than since they have increased. People see the individual transactions, not their whole spend and are more easily turned off with excessive prices.

Absolutely agree Dave, although my point is that, for example, if a family had a cheap meal at AT they would likely ALSO spend on merch or an ice cream etc etc, whereas with the higher price food, as much as a leave's a bitter taste in your mouth (no pun intended,) it means they spend a similar amount, but get less. Good for M£rlin, bad for the consumer.

Of course there is individuality though and we are all different at the end of the day. The thing is, people need to eat, drink & sleep. As long as that remains the case, any business would capitalize on that, not just M£rlin. Even this forums beloved EP will do it, just maybe not the same extent, granted.

I see a lot of people walking round with their own food now, and people do notice the prices in the park without doubt, yes people still spend but are they happy? Probably not. Quality or lack of it is noticeable against price and sometimes, this is where Merlin don't have a clue, it takes a while for that impact to filter down, so whilst they keep increasing prices and smashing the quality, they will be getting less and less good will from customers - you hear a lot of people moaning on park about a lot of things lately. Unfortunately unless people go to GS or type something in on a screen, they don't think the problems exist, it's crazy.

My managers at previous employ, would personally go round to tables/visitors to make sure people were enjoying it, quality was of PRIME importance and it cost a bit more, but it really was high quality. He was a stickler for it, and guess what, the place was always rammed. Why? Everyone knew it.

Guess what, the place was smaller, but it took more than bigger places because it was premium price (not hugely expensive, but it was VALUE for the service), premium quality - Merlin charge a fortune now for real crap food. This will bite back eventually.

People are more savvy than they're given credit for, I don't not spend money on food at Towers because I'm an enthusiast or tight lol, I don't spend it because it's CRAP FOOD :D

Really, bugger all to do with knowing about Merlin, because I'll always be happy to spend on something nice and of perceived value.

Least Merlin's food tends to be better than Disney's (unless you go to one of the proper restaurants of course, but that's at the expense of 2 hours of your visit)...

... yes people still spend but are they happy? Probably not.
I beg to differ, and attendance figures would back up the reasoning.

Just to clarify, I agree with most of your post @TheMan - I just think comparing a theme park to a restaurant is mute. People go to a restaurant to eat, people most certainly go the a theme park for the same reason.

I beg to differ, and attendance figures would back up the reasoning.

Just to clarify, I agree with most of your post @TheMan - I just think comparing a theme park to a restaurant is mute. People go to a restaurant to eat, people most certainly go the a theme park for the same reason.

I agree with that entirely by the way, they are totally different in some regards, but a quality place will always be full, regardless of the economy. You either do cheap and cheerful, or premium - both of those survive any economic climate.

They've pitched all theirs now in the dicey middle ground of pretty expensive for what they are, without the quality to match.

It's a very dodgy market. You are better off having a load of cheap throw food out no one expects too much establishments and some higher quality sit down treat type places, that a glut of mid market tripe.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out, that because of the poor quality of the establishments I have tried, I will not spend more in a different place as I don't trust the value. I am not the only savvy customer around.

I don't know if anyone on here remembers or has ever bought the mozzarella sticks side order from Fried Chicken Co. at Towers, however my group did on Saturday. I believe the side price was around the £2, and they gave us 3 2 inch sticks. How can they be that cheeky?! Just wanted to put this into perspective.

Anyway, I don't see the issue with carrying a pack up round with me all day. I've been known to do that on all my visits bar 1 or 2 this year and it's no pain. Sandwich, bag of crisps, chocolate bar. Sorted. Done.

I think a lot of it is opportunistic, like motorway services and their petrol prices. They know most people with common sense won't pay it and will prepare before setting off, but they also know that some people just wing it and don't care.

Towers know that people will come with pack up, but they also know that some people will forget it at home, or leave it in the car and then not be bothered enough to go back and get it. I also don't think people that are staying in the hotels will be too keen to take 2 days worth of pack up and a dinner with them. These are the people they prey on. The fact that some people have more money than sense, and will just pay anything, is just gravy to them.

I think food prices are about right at Towers tbh. It's expensive, but then every theme park is expensive when it comes to food.

I find one big meal at Pizza Pasta or Woodcutters works well. Then some chips or something at Eastern Express (which is cheap compared to the rest of the park) in the evening.

Alton Towers pretty works the way other theme parks do though. They know you're in the middle of nowhere, they know you have no where outside to grab food, so they make use of this and charge high prices for food that most guests are forced to pay for because they need to eat.

Perhaps if I ran a theme park, it would fail.

Or maybe, if I ran one, it would be more Europa Park like?

Because I just don't believe in those principles of give as little as possible for as much gain.

Indeed, EP is expensive just like any theme park. It is just that they have a lot of high quality food (as well as your standard theme park crap if you want it). EP just have a way of parting you with your Euros with little thought!

:)

And apparently, they have a restaurant with 2 Michelin stars now...

What was that I was saying about ends of the market?

And apparently, they have a restaurant with 2 Michelin stars now...

What was that I was saying about ends of the market?

That is at Hotel Bell Rock, and costs over €100 for a meal. I don't think it's fair to bring that up in any form of comparison!

:)

I totally and unequivocally disagree that Europa-Park is expensive for food and drink in the theme park.

It is very easy to find a quick service meal for well under €10 and a plated self service meal for under €12, both including drinks.

Soft drinks at Europa-Park (theme park) cost between €2.30 and €3.10 (£1.80 and £2.50). A price very comparable with Alton Towers.

Small items are available from 35c (28p) such as the marshmallows, candy floss is €1 (80p) and the bakery offers baked goods for around €1.50 (£1.20). Meanwhile, a hotdog is €3 (£2.40) and a baguette sandwich around €3.50 (£2.80). These prices are not expensive. A pint of beer is around €4 (£3.40). Less than here.

The food and drink at the hotels may be more than the UK park resorts, although the Colosseo buffet is €30 (£24) - only £4.05 more than Flambo's for significantly better)...

Go to PortAventura or Disneyland Paris and still maintain the claim EP is expensive. If anything, the German parks are more comparable with standard prices!!!