• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2014

Trouble with Flambo's is that it is so hit and miss.

Last season I was really put off by it and had a crap experience with sub standard food.

This year however (back in April) I had a great experience! Very good food, great variety and all tasting good too. The ribs were a particular highlight.

Unfortunately it depends entirely on the menu selection when you eat there...

When I visited on Thursday afternoon, I was introduced to the wonder that is courtyard tavern BBQ, I had a piri-piri chicken burger and a bottle of Stella Cidre and the quality and service was great, It certainly made a difference from Burger kitchen we had been considering 10 minutes before.

I'm not sure I'd call the Tavern BBQ a wonder! :p

I really hope Towers/Merlin invest in F&B improvements for next year. Three or four years ago the offerings across the park were good and varied. Today menus are smaller, quality is down and prices are up. I don't mind too much about the prices (many theme parks overprice their F&B offerings) however I would like to see bigger and better menus return.

:)

I usually eat in the Courtyard Tavern - food is pretty good as are the lattice fries. Would be good if they put some sides on the tent though (except the corner facing the show) it can be like a wind tunnel in there some days.

Courtyard has improved a lot this year, purely because they have replaced the horrible Merlin buns! It is however very over priced as they don't do a meal deal option with a drink.

I also noticed the other week in fresh fish and chips you no longer get a side in the meal deals (eg beans, peas, gravy, etc). It could have been like this all season as I haven't eaten there this year until the other day.

How "Fresh" is the "Fresh fish"? I tried a singular chip from there last season and have not considered it since.

Also.

Chipsaw
NemeChips

Am I the only one that finds the names totally uncreative?

The names are completely un creative but that's because of the branding across Merlin parks. Like it or hate it, it's not likely to change for major outlets.

The names are completely un creative but that's because of the branding across Merlin parks. Like it or hate it, it's not likely to change for major outlets.

WHY NOT! ;)

Seriously though, does no one else look at Pizza Pasta, Fresh Fish and Chips etc and think... really? That's the best you can do?

Mexican Cantina isn't a bad name, it's pretty obvious and it at least isn't totally generic. Shame the food is utter PANTS in there now.

Here's a daft thing I'd do.

I'd have a stall outside, with some free quality tasters, and a dude playing a guitar singing with a Mehihco accent:

You could put a little sunshine in your day,
If you wanted lovely food, then you'd come this way,
We used to have great stuff for you to try,
But we took if off our menu, and we don't know why?

Don't despair today though all hope's not lost
You can go to crappy kitchen where we cut our costs
"The food it tastes so bland" though we hear you say?
Be quiet, pay your cash, now be on your way!

Last edited:
.... and therein lies the flaw to your master plan....

Merlin don't have the word "free" in their vocabulary

.... and therein lies the flaw to your master plan....

Merlin don't have the word "free" in their vocabulary
I'm surprised they haven't been charging for park maps yet. £49.20, or pay £55.67 and get a FREE park map! I'm sure maps are printed off at a PURE loss.

I'm surprised they haven't been charging for park maps yet. £49.20, or pay £55.67 and get a FREE park map! I'm sure maps are printed off at a PURE loss.
Someone wasn't around in the tussauds yeeeaaarrrssss.

Actually I dunno if Towers did it. But Thorpe and Chessie charged for maps for a season and a bit. 2007, best season ever.

I don't have a problem with charging for park guides with lots of information in, but a map is just a tool to navigate the park.

Anyway, we're off topic! :p

Yeah I'm sure it was 50p or something for a map at Chessie and/or Thorpe a few years back. Mad really!

I remember Thorpe and Chessie charging for maps. Don't think Towers ever tried that stunt. Bit of a silly idea really.

I dont even think they need maps thesedays - the majority of people now have smartphones, and with free wifi in the park, surely the park app could have a map on it which uses GPS to pinpoint where someone is....

I dont even think they need maps thesedays - the majority of people now have smartphones, and with free wifi in the park, surely the park app could have a map on it which uses GPS to pinpoint where someone is....

There is always a need for a map, smart phone or no smart phone. It would be naive for a park to assume that all its guests would have a smart phone to download the app to. Yes most do but there will always be people that don't. For example, groups of younger school children. Also not everyone may want to take they're nice glossy smart phone to a theme park environment and may take an older phone instead.

Then there is the issue of battery life. On long days phone batteries just die, especially when you have had the phone for a while. Not ideal if the map is on the dead phone!

Plus they make nice collectors items! :p

How "Fresh" is the "Fresh fish"? I tried a singular chip from there last season and have not considered it since.

Also.

Chipsaw
NemeChips

Am I the only one that finds the names totally uncreative?

The fish and chips were actually very nice. I hadn't eaten there all year as they were not great last time I went, but I had no complaints about the meal.