• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2014

It's Towers usual attitude that if you come to the park off peak you don't deserve the same service as on peak. Yet you pay the same amount.

GaryH said:
Falmbo's had a sticker saying "closed" over the lunchtime sign at the entrance and the gates were closed. The pizza "cove" didnt open.

Email and complain. I did when Extraordinary Golf didn't open as advertised and got it for free next time. As they advertise on the website that a pizza lunch is served and then it didn't open then it is best to email and tell them of your disappointment.

GaryH said:
Falmbo's had a sticker saying "closed" over the lunchtime sign at the entrance and the gates were closed. The pizza "cove" didnt open.
The thing I've noticed about the Pizza place is that they don't make it look very open - the staff share with bar staff so you'd have to go up to the little area and stand there for them to be like "..oh? You want pizza? That's cool".

Not saying that was the case on your visit, it may well have been shut, just saying that even when it's open it looks closed.

If anything, I'd speak to staff there and enquire - pretty sure it's meant to be open every lunchtime regardless of busyness.

As posted on TowersStreet earlier today (for one it wasn't me on park :p)

10632648_736539799749800_8553358243565147047_n.jpg

Apparently all food outlets have gone up in price this week between a few pence to a pound like at Pizza Pasta. Drinks have gone up from £1.20 to £1.50 and chocolate bars are now £1. It must have happened this weekend as earlier this week when I went nothing had gone up.
------

In other news, I was just looking at the food hygiene ratings (that was posted a few posts up). It seems most food outlets at towers have got 5/5 with a few 4/5. Well Except for Alton Towers latest food outlet: http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/668348/Towers-Street-Bar-And-Grill-Farley
fhrs_3_en-GB.JPG

Last edited:
That rating for Towers Street Bar and Grill was given only a few days after it opened, so I'm not too surprised that it's only got 3/5. I should hope it'll improve in future inspections.

A 3 is ok, I'd imagine they'll be working to get it up to a 4 or a 5 for the next inspection. They'll have been given an action sheet of things to do and a place like Towers will do them.

:)

Apparently guest spend per head is down at the moment, therefore prices have been put up.

The problem is, a hot dog meal in Dark Forest is now £7.25 whereas before it was £6.95. Psychologically, paying over £7 for a hot dog, chips and drink is going to put more people off... I remember when Starbucks put their Panini prices up to £4.10 a few years ago... they quickly went back down to £3.95. Also, Pizza Pasta, whilst still reasonable value is now over £10 - charging £9.95 makes it seem much, much better value.

Drinks cans have gone up over 20% to £1.50 a can... they were only £1.20 last month. A small bar of chocolate is now £1!!!!!

A can at £1.50 is a blistering, recognisable rip off, and a chocolate bar at £1 is almost as ridiculous. I really hope the GP take notice of this and deliver the appalling feedback required to remotely amend the situation.

Merlin seem to have been pushing the annual pass heavily over the last few years, particularly with the January sales and I've seen staff in-park with badges about AP. Maybe if there is a lot of new annual passholders they have put all the prices up by 20% so that the AP discount brings things down to normal price!

This does mean that most things are now too expensive even with an AP. I used to think the burger means at £7 were expensive but £5.60 with AP discount is OK. Now even with AP discount many items will be too expensive. Pizza Pasta is now more expenses that Pizza Hut on the high street (£7.50 buffet and £2.50 drink).

There's a reason why guest spend per head is down... guest experience. If guests are not as happy with their experience as they may have been in the past then they will be less willing to part with their money. Chances are people are just buying one meal for the day now rather than a meal and lots of other little things along the way. It's another vicious cycle as putting prices up won't help.

:)

Think i will start taking a few choccy bars to get me through the day, will stop off at spoons on the way home, like i always do.

Hmm guest spend is down? I wonder why..... lets see.... Wages havent kept up with inflation and many have found their wages have gone down in real terms, not up.

Towers admission price is now close to £50
Then there is he £6 parking charge
Fast track tickets are more expensive (a neccessity on busy days to get on everything)
And food and drink prices continue to rise.

No wonder people are now taking their own food and drink. I remember back in the 90's when the park had nothing but company owned eateries. Poor quality food at high prices and no competition. Nearly everyone took their own food and drink.

Then around 2000 they introduced McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut amongst their own outlets, and more people ate on park as choice was better, and prices became reasonable.

Now, we see the park returning back to the 90's with no independant outlets, all Merlin owned food outlets, and of course, with no alternative and no competition, of course, the prices will go up.

When I now visit the park, I am seeing a LOT more people with their own food, and walking around with cooler boxes etc.

Putting up prices yet again is hardly going to get more people to eat in their outlets. I used to love Pizza Pasta, but no way am I paying £10.95 now, or even £8.95 with my AP discount.

Reactions: jmc
I used to love Pizza Pasta, but no way am I paying £10.95 now, or even £8.95 with my AP discount.

I agree with most of your post apart from the above.

I still think that's a pretty decent price for as much as you can eay pizza/pasta. Have you ever purchased a large pizza from pizza hut before? If not then you're looking at the best part of £20! Pizza's are a rip off so pizza/pasta (inc drink) for a shade over a tenner isn't too bad IMO.

I agree with most of your post apart from the above.

I still think that's a pretty decent price for as much as you can eay pizza/pasta. Have you ever purchased a large pizza from pizza hut before? If not then you're looking at the best part of £20! Pizza's are a rip off so pizza/pasta (inc drink) for a shade over a tenner isn't too bad IMO.

Yes but the buffet at Pizza Hut is only £10 per person including the drink (that London pricing, I think other cities are cheaper). A large pizza is around £17, plus 2 drinks makes£22 so about the same price as well. I do agree that the buffet is one of the best values at Alton Towers. and Burger Kitchen one of the worst!

and yes when they opened the franchise outlets in 1998 it did bring some competitive pricing, but KFC was still a lot more expensive than KFC on the high street.