• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

The Psychoaster said:
Moley said:
As the English media ask where their Pirlo is, the decision to force Paul Scholes wide to accommodate the ever-failing Gerrard and Lampard partnership somehow gets funnier with every tournament.

He wasn't "forced wide" - he retired from international football and has made it clear on numerous occasions that he has no desire to ever play it again, even despite being asked several times.

He was played wide left to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard long before he retired. I'd like to think the 50th anniversary of Munich silence at Wembley being booed and stopped after 26 seconds was enough to make sure he never put the shirt on again but it was more having summers off to be with his family.

Moley said:
The Psychoaster said:
Moley said:
As the English media ask where their Pirlo is, the decision to force Paul Scholes wide to accommodate the ever-failing Gerrard and Lampard partnership somehow gets funnier with every tournament.

He wasn't "forced wide" - he retired from international football and has made it clear on numerous occasions that he has no desire to ever play it again, even despite being asked several times.

He was played wide left to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard long before he retired. I'd like to think the 50th anniversary of Munich silence at Wembley being booed and stopped after 26 seconds was enough to make sure he never put the shirt on again but it was more having summers off to be with his family.

Sometimes you have to endure being played out of position - Lampard has been for a good 5 years now and hasn't complained. It doesn't give him any more dignity having retired - it just makes him look spoilt. If I were a central midfielder, playing for my country in any position would be enough. I wouldn't care where - it's incredibly ungrateful to retire out of spite.

Not when you're one of the best midfielders of your generation and an integral part of one of the most dominant teams sports has ever seen you don't.

His total inability to tackle might also have something to do with it.

Anyway, glad it's over. If I saw the classic "there's lower expectations this year so England will do better" one more time I think I'd lose it.

Now tell me again how we treated Hodgson badly and didn't give him a chance. We warned you, England fans. Enjoy the next couple years of boring, defensive football! :)

Blaze said:

Where as of course Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi and Iniesta are/were all revered world wide for their tackling abilities.

Moley said:
Blaze said:

Where as of course Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi and Iniesta are/were all revered world wide for their tackling abilities.

You know, I certainly aren't a fan of Man United, but in my opinion Scholes is the best English midfielder since maybe Gazza or Chris Waddle. He's got amazing technical ability and skill, and I don't blame for retiring for international football after being forced out wide by Sven.

On the Scholes issue, he would easily walk into the current England side even at his age. He is a class above. In all the games I watched that he played in for United last season he made endless top class passes and I could count the ones that didn't reach a team mate on one hand. You can't blame him for retiring when he did, Sven is a rather clueless manager regarding some thing (I should know this well after his time at Leicester) and not playing your best midfielder by a mile in his best position just so two inferior players can play together is ridiculous.

Onto the England match. I though for a good period of time in the first half we played very well indeed, the best we had played all tournament. However overall Italy were much better and deserved to go through. They were better going forward and looked a lot more comfortable on the ball. However I still think we as a team did very well to get to where we did. We may not have been the best footballing team but you could not fault the majority of the players spirit and determination. We were never in a million years going to win the tournament. The players did well and I think that they can be proud to leave the tournament undefeated.

:)

Early predictions for Spain vs Portugal anyone? I reckon 2-2, with Spain clinching it 3-2 in extra time.

If Ronaldo is on form, then Portugal to narrowly win.

However if he isn't, then Spain to win it, 2-0.

Spain 3 - 1 Portugal

Spain are a much better team and the Portugal defense won't be able to cope with Spain's constant passing.

Well, my prediction was completely wrong and frankly I don't believe Spain deserved the victory last night. I do, however, want to see them smashed by Germany in the final - who I think will win 3-1 against Italy tonight.

I get the feeling the confusion over Portugal's 3rd and 4th penalties could have cost them the match. If Nani hadn't intervened and left Bruno Alves to take the 3rd he'd have been in a much better state of mind and might not have missed.

Spain were probably worthy winners in the end, they were poor in the first half but dominated the latter stages.

I think a Spain - Germany final is what everyone wanted all along. It'll be very interesting because Spain haven't been great this tournament and Germany have. If Germany win, they'll be the new Spain, if Spain win, they'll continue to dominate, but hopefully they'll sort out they're style, because they've taken tiki-taka too far and it's not really working any more, they need to become more direct again, as they're suffering the same thing that let Barcelona down last season; they're too clever for their own good.

Germany 2-1 Italy AET Germany forced to bring on a striker after a poor display when Italy dig at the solid Germany with Chilleni back on the wings.

Spain Vs Italy could well be on though.

I hadn't been watching the match, then as soon as I turn on the live stream there's a goal.

Balotelli is proving just how dangerous he really can be! The England match would have been over way before penalties were he on form during it!

I daren't even predict the outcome of the final after my previous attempts. :p Great performance by Italy, although to be honest it was more poor by Germany. Gomez was dire and they didn't have the clinical nature of Italy in the first half. They also got caught out numerous times in the second half in defence, Italy should definitely have capitalised. All in all, a great game although I still think Spain will win the tournament.