• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Cabaye at Palace is a good move but don't be under any illusion. I don't think he will want to stay at CP - he was quick to leave NUFC for a 'bigger club' and 'glory' when he had the chance. With all due respect to CP, it's quite a step back from the scale of PSG (and even NUFC) and I can't see him sticking around for one. Lack of loyalty from that guy. I can see him doing really well for CP for a season or so, then hoping one of the big English clubs come in for him...

As for NUFC, Ashley has actually signed players with promise and talent. We have spent £27m in the last week - more than Ashley has ever spent before. And both players look GOOD.

:D

He's joined Palace to get into the French national team for the 2016 Championships...

As long as he does the business when he's playing, whatever he does with his future is up to him... He's probably only got one more pay-day in him mind, and only lost out at PSG because of the form of their midfield 3...

Even then, perhaps he has learnt from his journey to PSG that the grass is not always greener on the other side... Who knows what these players think when they move? Certainly more loyalty in Cabaye than there is in say, Fabian Delph...

England join Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta and Lithuania in Group F for World Cup 2018 qualifying.

It's an easy group, only the matches against Scotland will have any real bite to them.

England v Scotland. No complaints about that fixture whatsoever. :D

Same here from a Scottish perspective...it is the best for both teams as England have a challenge for once in qualification while we surely have a good chance this time round to qualify. We'll be coming down the road...;)

Jonathan, I too would like to see Di Maria turn it around but I think if someone like PSG came in with an offer he'd be off.

Well it's happened. Snake Di Maria is joining PSG after claiming he wanted to stay at MUFC and prove himself. He'll definitely be remembered at Man United, but only as a failure and bottler. Good riddance. I think with the £44m fee and merchandise sales from last season we probably haven't lost too much on him - and I doubt we ever paid the full £59m as I'd imagine some of that was performance based.

And what with the £44m we'll probably get for him, we could invest that into a couple of new players who'll probably do more for United than Di María did. There's no doubt that he started off well for us, but seemed to start giving up around Christmas. It's a shame that he's gone and won't have another season to try and turn things around for the club, but there's no point in him staying if he doesn't want to play for United any longer.

I agree, selling him (which is confirmed now), was the right move for everyone involved. Just think he's spineless to have actually given up on the EPL after one season. He'll do well in Ligue 1, but because he's gone from probably the second best league in the world to probably the 6th...

I'm really peeved that he just gave up and left. His attitude - plus the fact he went AWOL when he should've joined the squad in the States for part of the tour - probably sealed his fate. He wasn't worthy of wearing the number 7 shirt for us, but on the bright side, it does free it up for Memphis Depay to use now. :p

Shawcross out for at least two months after back operation, will be interesting to see how the rest of our defense steps up without him.

165e88.gif

The new season begins today so it seems appropriate to post my predicted final table. These may change once the transfer window is closed...

1. Chelsea (others have strengthened, but I think they'll still be too strong)
2. Man United
3. Arsenal (lots of talk about them being serious contenders but think they'll come up short)
4. Man City (defensively they haven't addressed their issues, albeit yet)
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Southampton
8. Newcastle
9. Swansea
10. Stoke
11. Everton
12. Aston Villa
13. Crystal Palace
14. West Ham
15. West Brom
16. Sunderland
17. Norwich
18. Leicester
19. Watford
20. Bournemouth

I think Bournemouth might stay up, they've got that tight knit group I think, which is always the best method to go with... Their signings have been decent too...

I don't know why, but I think all 3 promoted teams have a chance of staying up. Bournemouth might have that momentum from last season and there's a strong bond between Eddie Howe and the players. Watford have that chance because if their signings might turn out to be good. Norwich have a chance because they still have much of their squad from last time out and a debatably a better manager.

Even if Bournemouth do go down, then they won't finish bottom.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I think all 3 promoted teams have a chance of staying up. Bournemouth might have that momentum from last season and there's a strong bond between Eddie Howe and the players. Watford have that chance because if their signings might turn out to be good. Norwich have a chance because they still have much of their squad from last time out and a delectably a better manager.

Even if Bournemouth do go down, then they won't finish bottom.
Nice to know you think Alex Neil is delectable ;)

Nice to know you think Alex Neil is delectable ;)

Well I meant debatably but the spell check doesn't recognise the word :p Although to be fair it's my fault really for not knowing how it's spelt :p

Well I meant debatably but the spell check doesn't recognise the word :p Although to be fair it's my fault really for not knowing how it's spelt :p
I'll let you off... ;P

He's not debatably better though... He is better. Far more ambition and passion than Hughton ever had.

I'll let you off... ;P

Good :p

He's not debatably better though... He is better. Far more ambition and passion than Hughton ever had.

That's a good point actually. I think the reason you struggled last time was because of him. When you appointed Neil you were just outside the play offs and he made you late contenders for automatic promotion, although settling for the play offs in campaign I'm sure you enjoyed.

That's a good point actually. I think the reason you struggled last time was because of him. When you appointed Neil you were just outside the play offs and he made you late contenders for automatic promotion, although settling for the play offs in campaign I'm sure you enjoyed.
Agreed. He completely turned the players from a decent squad playing averagely to a decent squad playing as good as or better than expected of them.

The transformation in 6 months was massive - and to finish the season going up was the icing on the cake. All the so called 'pundits' have relegated us already so that will hopefully push them even more.

My worry is that we'll have a good season - then he'll be poached by a bigger club!

Well well well, top of the league! I suppose it's to be expected, no-one has picked up more points in the Premier League since the start of April than Leicester! :p