• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Did anyone else see the game between Canada and England in the Women's world cup last night? Very enjoyable! They're actually a good side and I would love to see them go on and win it.

I hope Roy Hodgson was watching the game last night - it was brilliant. For England to hold out for a 2-1 win in a stadium full of Canadian supporters must've been so difficult, but they managed it, and all credit to them for that! It's been great to watch them play in this tournament, and I do hope they go all the way. It's going to raise the profile of women's football in this country, too, which can only be a good thing!

I am totally gutted. :(

Nigel Pearson, you are a legend. We will miss him badly.

when will tom ince learn to stay at 1 club for more then 6 months. Stop listening to your dad, go to a club in championship. Stay their

So glad they won that, after the awful disappointment of the semi-final the other night. Like you said Ted, such an achievement.

Oh my!

CJicD7BVEAAG9br.jpg:large

Reports are also strong that we'll be signing Matteo Darmian from Torino. We're in need of a decent right-back, and it looks like Darmian is going to fit the bill quite nicely. Of course, it means that Rafael will probably be going, but that's not really going to be much of a loss.

And Schweinsteiger being rumoured to have signed for United? Yay! :D

EDIT: It's been announced within the past 30 minutes that United WILL be signing Schweinsteiger, subject to a medical and personal terms. Fantastic! :D

Last edited:
I'm a bit puzzled as to why we're signing two midfielders - personally, I would've thought that by signing Schweinsteiger, we wouldn't need Schneiderlin as well. I guess the most important thing is LVG's trying to make signings a lot earlier than he did last year in order to get them all to work together as a team more cohesively, meaning that (in theory at least) we should be able to mount more of a title challenge. Still a couple more signings we could do with making, though. A new striker if RVP goes (which is looking likely), a new centre-back - but Darmian could possibly fill this role for a while - and if David de Gea does move to Real Madrid, possibly a new goalkeeper.

Schweinsteiger has had a lot of injuries in the past year so I think he'll be used with Carrick rotating. I think Schneiderlin will start more games.

RVP is as good as gone but there just aren't many options in terms of strikers. Kane is the obvious one but I'm not really sure as Spurs will want £40m or so. De Gea I would say is certain to go and I just hope we squeeze Madrid for as much as possible. I've heard they want to do Ramos + cash for De Gea and I think we'd be getting a bad deal there.

In the end I think we'll sign a centre back, though I'm not sure who and sell De Gea and stick with Valdes for next season.

Schweinsteiger rotating with Carrick? Yeah, that'll probably be what ends up happening.

I've seen a couple of things mentioning Kane as a long-term replacement for Rooney, who was undoubtedly one of Sir Alex Ferguson's best buys in the transfer market, but rather expensive at the quoted £40m. I can see us starting the first couple of games with just Rooney up front unless we do sign a striker (my first preference being Edinson Cavani). As for De Gea and Ramos? I'm still not sure as to what's going to happen with either of those, but De Gea's departure is looking all the more certain now.

£49 million for Sterling. Wonder how this will unfold in future years. Everyone knows, he is a £20 million player at best. He has done nothing in his short career to warrant the price tag. Once again, a young English player has been hyped up and is about to fall flat on his arse.

As a Liverpool supporter, the news is very welcome. One less ego. £49 million to spend on a couple of players that will be useful. We already have Sterling's replacement in Jordan Ibe.

Along with Cabaye, with have also signed Patrick Bamford on loan!

CKczXpaXAAAFw3y.jpg:large

He was really good at Boro last season, so I'm excited to see him play!

Along with Cabaye, with have also signed Patrick Bamford on loan!

CKczXpaXAAAFw3y.jpg:large

He was really good at Boro last season, so I'm excited to see him play!
Ah good, he can lose to a Norwich team again on the 1st day of the season ;)

Oi! We'll see about that ;) I've jinxed it now and we'll probably lose =P
Haha! In all honesty he ran rings around us at times during the season - just fortunately at Wembley we kept him penned down! Good player though.

Reactions: Ted