• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Lots of transfer action in the past 24 hours.

Paul Pogba has officially returned to Man United for a record fee of £89m. The fee is a lot however United have the money so spend it. When he left United he wasn't the player he is today. Would he have developed like he has under Moyes and LVG? I'm not so sure. Getting Zlatan on a free was a great move as the merchandise sales from that alone will have already helped pay for this.

John Stones has moved to Man City for £47.5m which makes him the second most expensive defender in history. I've always said with Stones he needs the right coaching. It is well known with Martinez that he can't set up a defence so Stones wasn't going to develop. At City I think he will and will become a top defender, however for nearly £50m he should already be that so Everton have done well there.

And finally, Ashley Williams has joined Everton (or is about to) as a direct replacement for Stones for around £12m. Short-term that is great business by Everton as Williams has proved himself in the EPL and at the Euros. However, they'll need to look further ahead as Williams is already 31.

I think Barnsley fans will be happier than City fans after the Stones transfer, they're getting either 15%-20% because of a sell on clause, which is £6.6-£9.2 million.

I actually think that Williams is a better player than Stones at the moment and will probably be for the next 2-3 seasons, Man City have massively overpaid.

Great start for MUFC. Dominant performance and hopefully a lot more to come.

Did not see Arsenal 3-4 Liverpool coming on the opening day of the season. Thought it'd be a cagey 1-1! :eek:

Champions League draw tonight, excited is an understatement! I still rather like looking at the top seeds for the group stage:
  • Real Madrid (Spain)
  • Barcelona (Spain)
  • Leicester City (England)
  • Bayern Munich (Germany)
  • Juventus (Italy)
  • Benfica (Portugal)
  • Paris Saint-Germain (France)
  • CSKA Moscow (Russia)
:p

It would be nice to get a group where we have a chance of getting some decent results but I will be happy so long as there are one or two away games I can make! I don't think the reality of it all will hit until I hear the Champions League anthem playing at our first game!

:)

It would be nice to get a group where we have a chance of getting some decent results but I will be happy so long as there are one or two away games I can make!

Or both, thanks UEFA! Dilly ding dilly dong, time for a European tour. Already got Copenhagen sorted, hoping to make it to Brugge and Porto also.

:D

It's a good draw Leicester have gotten. Cheeky little trip to Tivoli and Bakken when you go to Copenhagen Rob? :p

Shan't be bothering with Bakken but it would be terribly rude not to pay Tivoli a visit! :p

Reactions: Ted
You can do both parks in a day. Bakken is a bit crap but it has the bat shit crazy coaster Tornado

Well I think it is fair to say that our Champions League debut went rather well, a very comfortable win away at Brugge. What an experience it was as well!

I think Leicester will get through their group. Their group is not easy, but it's not hard either. Being seeded in pot 1 has done them a lot of favours!

Our first experience of a proper European game last night. Technically strong opposition who play good football, an awful whistle happy referee who gives out yellows for petty incidents but not for bad tackles and players who throw themselves to the ground just when we look at them! Still, a 1-0 victory! The first English side to win their first two games in the Champions League.

Penaltypool is back, baby!

Another win for Big Stand FC, even better that we caused fume in the process. Last season in games like that we'd have given up at half time and accepted defeat. Feels like we're going places this season. Up the handsome Reds.