• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Let's just hope it isn't a repeat of last time we played the USA in a World Cup, where Rob Green fumbled the ball into his own net

I still don't get VAR.

Ref decides not to give a clear red card, VAR says get on with the game.

Ref allows a winning goal, VAR examines in minute detail, finds a foul and instructs the ref to disallow the goal because it was such a clear and obvious error and the defender definitely was not making the most of it.

Oh yes, I remember, I do get VAR. It's another way for the refs to help the so called big 6.

I think with VAR, If the decision can't be over turned within 60 seconds, the on field decision sticks

I also think slow motion replays should be banned when it comes to VAR. They distort reality.

The problem with VAR is that most decisions still require the referee to interpret what they are seeing, was the player's actions accidental or deliberate? Does the player's arm make his body 'unnaturally bigger'? And that is before we get into arguments about how strictly the rules should be followed, do we put the flag up if a player is a millimetre offside? If not then where is the cut-off?
Despite this, there are cases where technology can be very helpful, Goal line technology was implemented in the Premier League in 2015 and that is quite reliable as whether the ball has crossed the goal line is not up to interpretation.

"clear and obvious error" is the problem with VAR. If there is an error, no matter how small, just give the on-field ref the opportunity to go and look at it on the monitor. Maybe they should do what Cricket does and allow the teams three chances to appeal to use VAR and if its successful they keep it? Although I do dislike this as it makes it a mini game in itself.

Its consistency you want, it was right the goal was checked, it was not right that the possible red card was not checked.

Its easy to focus on the negatives, VAR has done some good stuff as well, but you do feel like every time something goes against a top six team, you waiting for VAR to spot something that they don't like.

I also wish there was some notification on the screen when a VAR check was taking place.

Arsenal dropping points is what I needed as a Chelsea fan, I think our top 4 is looking good but need to be beating teams

Hopefully the take over will be done and dusted by May and we can focus on keeping talent and moving forward

On the way back from watching an absolutely belting Cobblers performance, 4-1 up before half time, and with other results going our way promotion is in our hands.

Really exciting game today and such a good advert for lower league football. Fingers crossed we don't bottle it and are back in the league where we (probably) belong, playing Derby and Peterborough, next season.

Sad day for Oldham Athletic. They become the first former Premier League club to drop out of the football league entirely.

On another note... who's going down from the Premier League then? Presumably we've certainly got Watford & Norwich. But otherwise...?

Burnley? Everton? Leeds?

Sad day for Oldham Athletic. They become the first former Premier League club to drop out of the football league entirely.

On another note... who's going down from the Premier League then? Presumably we've certainly got Watford & Norwich. But otherwise...?

Burnley? Everton? Leeds?
Well I have a feeling that Everton could go down if they're not careful. Burnley are playing Watford next week and the latter lost 5-1 to City yesterday. The Everton have Chelsea next week, so it'll be interesting.

Everton currently have the worst form of the three however I think Leeds have the hardest remaining fixture list with Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea coming up.
Then for promotion, Fulham is confirmed and Bournemouth should get 2nd if they don't mess up their games in hand. Play offs are looking to be Huddersfield, Forest, Luton and Sheffield United with Millwall just behind and I don't think I could separate a winner out of them!
Luton promotion would be massive news as we were in the conference eight years ago and we have a fraction of the other team's budgets.

Everton currently have the worst form of the three however I think Leeds have the hardest remaining fixture list with Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea coming up.
Then for promotion, Fulham is confirmed and Bournemouth should get 2nd if they don't mess up their games in hand. Play offs are looking to be Huddersfield, Forest, Luton and Sheffield United with Millwall just behind and I don't think I could separate a winner out of them!
Luton promotion would be massive news as we were in the conference eight years ago and we have a fraction of the other team's budgets.
Sheff Wed lost against Wycombe yesterday so auto-promotion to the Championship is impossible. We need to win both of our remaining matches against Fleetwood (Tues) and Portsmouth (Sat) respectively to make the playoffs.

I think the League 1 playoffs can only be described as insane!
Sunderland, Plymouth and Wycombe tied on 80 points with Wednesday only a point behind. I hope one of those teams wins the playoffs as I do not want to see MK Dons in the Championship.

I actually fancy Luton for the play offs

Obviously the play offs are a lottery but I would be very surprised if Forest don't win them.

Saw them play a few weeks ago and they were a class apart. Really looking like a Premier League side. Only recent game they failed to win was vs Luton in a game with a few questionable refereeing decisions.

I hope Burnley go down after the way they treated Sean Dyche, although Leeds also sacked Bielsa under harsh circumstances. Neither would be a great loss to top flight football.

Hoping that Everton go down, but suspect it will be Burnley.

I thought Burnley were out of their minds sacking Dyche however their results show it was the right decision. I've not seen much of their games but perhaps they are playing less hoof ball with Dyche gone?

I thought Burnley were out of their minds sacking Dyche however their results show it was the right decision. I've not seen much of their games but perhaps they are playing less hoof ball with Dyche gone?

I was the same Rob, I said that Burnley would not win another game after sacking Dyche, and they have now won two on the bounce. I think Burnley have an easier end to the season, playing Aston Villa twice in May. If Burnley beat Watford, it puts them in a much stronger position of staying up.

Leeds also have a difficult end to the season as well, if they lose tonight against Palace, they could easily find themselves in trouble.

As for the Championship, I think that Forest are the favourites, but the Play Offs are a lottery and anything can happen in them. If Sheff Utd make it to the final, I would be tempted to go with them, only because this is the first time Lisa wont be able to make it to Wembley to watch them play, and all the times she has made it, they have lost.