• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Dreadful substitutions from Hodgson, especially taking off Rooney (who was having a good game) when you need experience on the pitch and to see the game out for someone who's not exactly match fit. I've always said with Roy in charge England won't win anything.

Should have had them buried by half time. Such an England thing to do conceding late like that. Huge pressure on Thursday now.

Northern Ireland...put up such a brave performance but alas was just a bit too much.:(

Adopting them as my team for the tournament.

4 goals in his last 5 England games, Roy might actually start with Vardy against Slovakia. Sterling was awful again today, there are far better players than him who didn't come close to making the squad.

:)

Got permission to watch the game at work this afternoon. One of the best decisions I've made. Great second half! Yes, I had to work for an hour past my scheduled time today, but I don't even care. :p

Great bottle from England today for a change. I've been a big critic of Roy but have to give him credit for his subs today, big calls at half time, and bringing on Rashford later. Kane clearly needs a rest, and arguably Alli so I think a couple of changes for the Slovakia game will be necessary.

So far I think I've been impressed most by Italy, who you can never write off at tournaments, but France I'm still backing to go on and win it.

Credit for the subs but he now needs to make the correct decisions from the start. Be proactive and not reactive. It's clear that a couple of the Spurs players are still suffering from the end of their season (Kane and Alli) and we just cannot afford that at this level. I'm not a Sturridge fan but I would start him and Vardy in the next game and look at bringing Wilshire into the starting 11 too.

I've also been very impressed with Italy, they were outstanding against a Belgium team that optimise that you need more than good players in football to succeed. I'm tipping Italy, France and Germany to be three of the four semi-finalists.

Oh I completely agree. Wasn't everyone saying how Kane looked tired against Russia? So starting him yesterday was odd. I don't understand why he was played so much in the friendlies, he'd barely been rested at Spurs and he's not a player Hodgson needed to have a look at. Against Slovakia maybe we will see Kane and Sterling for Vardy and Sturridge, Alli for Wilshere with Rooney being in Alli's position and Wilshere in Rooney's.

Of the big teams I've probably been least impressed with Germany, though they will probably do enough to get to the semis at least. Spain I don't think can be written off, I don't think they will win it, but when you've got Iniesta...

Sad to see Ireland lose like that. At least this will of helped boost the Belgium's confidence as I am sure they didn't feel very good after the Italy game.

When one of your centre backs is from Aston Villa you can't go expecting too much...! I thought Ireland were poor today, there didn't really offer much going forward at all. Saying that they should have had a penalty at 0-0.

Thanks to Hodgson tinkering too much and England's failure to top the group we are now in the side of the draw with Spain, France, Italy and Germany. Wales currently have Switzerland, Poland, Croatia and probably Belgium. Not topping our group was a lot more than embarrassing.

Thanks to Hodgson tinkering too much and England's failure to top the group we are now in the side of the draw with Spain, France, Italy and Germany. Wales currently have Switzerland, Poland, Croatia and probably Belgium. Not topping our group was a lot more than embarrassing.
Our only hope is that Albania qualify and get put in our side of the draw!

Still can't believe Northern Ireland have gotten into the last 16 along with Iceland.

Regardless of how far those two go, it would've been nothing sort of remarkable.

I was surprised that Northern Ireland got in as I'd written them off before a ball was kicked so fair play to them.

Not surprised about Iceland at all, they did very well in qualifying and work well as a unit. It will not be an easy game for England.

I'm please he is to be honest, he's a good fit there.

I think he'd only be sat on the bench at Arsenal as it is.