• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

With regards to Chelsea sacking Potter this evening…

This is the sort of thing sacking that makes me raise an eyebrow and think “Really?!”. Chelsea are sitting in 11th place. They’re not used to being this low down the table. And they go and sack their manager. I’m a West Ham supporter, we’ve dipped in and out of the relegation zone this season more times than a sherbet dip - do you see West Ham’s board sacking their manager? No. They stick with one man who they believe in and can trust. It’s time teams like Chelsea and Manchester United got over the fact they won’t always be top of the table each season. The sparkle has gone, the glory days are over. Right now I’m glad to see someone like Arsenal keeping City off the top. There needs to be some different results to the olden days otherwise the Prem would just be so boring season after season.

I appreciate that many of the top teams like Chelsea spend an eye watering amount of money on players, but it’s been proven time and time again that even for those big teams, it doesn’t pay off.

On a more positive note I’m happy West Ham won today and leapt up to 14th place. 👏🏻

This is the sort of thing sacking that makes me raise an eyebrow and think “Really?!”. Chelsea are sitting in 11th place. They’re not used to being this low down the table. And they go and sack their manager. I’m a West Ham supporter, we’ve dipped in and out of the relegation zone this season more times than a sherbet dip - do you see West Ham’s board sacking their manager? No. They stick with one man who they believe in and can trust. It’s time teams like Chelsea and Manchester United got over the fact they won’t always be top of the table each season. The sparkle has gone, the glory days are over. Right now I’m glad to see someone like Arsenal keeping City off the top. There needs to be some different results to the olden days otherwise the Prem would just be so boring season after season.

I appreciate that many of the top teams like Chelsea spend an eye watering amount of money on players, but it’s been proven time and time again that even for those big teams, it doesn’t pay off.

On a more positive note I’m happy West Ham won today and leapt up to 14th place. 👏🏻

Chelsea are a mess and the approach will again prove Americans cannot run football clubs. United, Chelsea and Liverpool all a mess.

Arsenal proving to be the exception this season, but it won't last.

chelsea are the most successful english team of the last 20 years in terms of trophies with five more than the teams below them; so hard to agree with your assessment that buying big hasn't paid off. same could be said with man city and their league wins. i assume you're guaging the barometer of success/trophies? if it's a question of morality, then you have an argument, otherwise it's clearly worked for them. as to whether it will continue to, we will see. if boehly can make the club a 'brand' overseas and doesn't bail out and cut his losses, then perhaps.

the glory days are over? they literally won the champion's league the season before last annd europa league before that. even man utd reached the final a year or two ago if memory serves. chelsea then consequently won the club world cup and then lost in the quarter finals of the champion's league marginally to the eventual winners. they're also still currently in the competition this year. although you'd be hard pressed to find a supporter who is happy with the league position so i'll give you that but that leads me on to potter's sacking.

personally potter was never a great fit for a team who thrives on chaos, instability and demands success. he was a poor appointment but i assume the hope was he'd return champs league qualification at minimum and build in pre-season. the performances and tactics have been woeful so instability and recklessness aside i think it was time he went. the payoff and hiring of a new manager finance wise will be absurd but the owners seem to have bottomless pockets, so?

as to the premiership being boring season after season, i don't really get that. european qualification is wide open, relegation is wide open, newcastle and arsenal handing it to the perceived 'big boys', chelsea 11th, liverpool imploding, brentford and brighton legitimate forces, seems pretty exciting to me!

chelsea are the most successful english team of the last 20 years in terms of trophies with five more than the teams below them; so hard to agree with your assessment that buying big hasn't paid off. same could be said with man city and their league wins. i assume you're guaging the barometer of success/trophies? if it's a question of morality, then you have an argument, otherwise it's clearly worked for them. as to whether it will continue to, we will see. if boehly can make the club a 'brand' overseas and doesn't bail out and cut his losses, then perhaps.
They may be that successful but I stand by my comment with buying big hasn’t paid off. They're now looking for the 3rd manager in 7 months, and sit in 11th place short on points - something clearly isn’t going in their favour this season. And no, I’m not “gauging the barometer of success/ trophies”. Forget that side of it.

When I say the glory days are over, I’m mainly referring to when Man Utd would win the Prem season after season under Alex Ferguson. I’m going back over 10 years, not just recent ones.

Head's sore and just about thinking about food. But Wrexham is back in the EFL baby 🍾

Seriously insane that we had to get a record points total just to keep Notts Country at bay, who'll now unfairly battle it out in the playoffs with teams 25+ points behind. Hope they get through as they deserve it.

Just need to ensure we don't embarrass Chelsea in the summer 😉

Hands of Mullin guys! You can have McAlinden and McFadzean for free 😁

Almost a perfect weekend of football, a shame Brighton couldn't do a job on Manchester United. Maguire being suspended was a huge blow to Brighton!

Nice to finally win a game after so long, I'd forgotten what that felt like. Then watching Newcastle destroy Spurs yesterday was comedy gold!

Went to Wembley for the first time this weekend to watch the Man City Vs Sheff Utd match.

Even though Sheff Utd lost (Which I think most people were expecting), we all had a great time, and enjoyed the experience.

Wembley is a fantastic stadium, and I liked the fact you could walk all around once inside, so it meant Annabelle could still meetup with a few of her friends even though we were on opposite sides.

I found it interesting that there was talk about hosting the semi-finals at a northern neutral ground as a way of increasing attendance, and I dont think the distance to travel was the issue, but the cost. I think the fact that most Man City fans knew they were going to win the game, meant they would save their money for the final, and most Sheff Utd fans knew they were going to lose, and they have seen their team lose more often than not at Wembley, choose not to go. If this match had been at any other stadium, We would not of gone. The appeal of going to Old Trafford, Villa Park, or any other stadium (Apart from your home teams) is not the same as Wembley. Wembley is special for the fans, and special for the players.

I think people want semifinals at neutral grounds
a. Because this was the case through until the new Wembley opened in 2007.
b. It makes the prize of a trip to Wembley more special.
That said, I would consider the FA Cup Semi-Finals more special than the Papa John's Trophy Final.

Went to Wembley for the first time this weekend to watch the Man City Vs Sheff Utd match.

Even though Sheff Utd lost (Which I think most people were expecting), we all had a great time, and enjoyed the experience.

Wembley is a fantastic stadium, and I liked the fact you could walk all around once inside, so it meant Annabelle could still meetup with a few of her friends even though we were on opposite sides.

I found it interesting that there was talk about hosting the semi-finals at a northern neutral ground as a way of increasing attendance, and I dont think the distance to travel was the issue, but the cost. I think the fact that most Man City fans knew they were going to win the game, meant they would save their money for the final, and most Sheff Utd fans knew they were going to lose, and they have seen their team lose more often than not at Wembley, choose not to go. If this match had been at any other stadium, We would not of gone. The appeal of going to Old Trafford, Villa Park, or any other stadium (Apart from your home teams) is not the same as Wembley. Wembley is special for the fans, and special for the players.
If Sheff Wed miss the automatic spots and and up in the playoffs, I might finally get a chance to go to wembley. Would prefer us to get automatics though but I don't think that's going to happen.

If Sheff Wed miss the automatic spots and and up in the playoffs, I might finally get a chance to go to wembley. Would prefer us to get automatics though but I don't think that's going to happen.
The way they are playing they will be lucky to get past the playoff semi finals.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Derby last game will probably stop Wednesday getting automatics, then probably beat you in the final. Thats how lucky that club are