• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Does again show how flawed the play offs are in their current form. Sheffield Wednesday nearly get automatically promoted, so they get rewarded with an away game just days after the season ends.
But playing at home second means should it go all the way to penalties you will have an advantage.

If you can take the lead, or keep it as a draw, having the second round game at home is an advantage,

I am sure most managers would prefer the second leg of a game to be at home, rather than away?

Certainly shows how two promotion places are completely insufficient. Notts County have the second highest points tally in English Football (107) yet they still aren't guaranteed promotion.
For reference, the lowest points tally a team has been promoted on so far this season is Northampton Town on 83 points since League 2 has three automatic promotion spots.

It used to be one team and even then the FA had to decide if you were fit to join the league.

I think it's getting to the point that the EFL should have 4 smaller leagues.

Last edited:
Or even a third division north and south, to save the smaller teams having to cross the whole country all the time.
This would be progress...
Or turning the clock back sixty years.

I agree with this, Gateshead and Torquay were in the same division this season despite an 8+ hour coach trip between them.
This seems like a good idea, but how would it work if the all the teams getting relegated from the league above are southern?

I used the southern example because I can't imagine 3 northern teams would ever finish bottom of the league.

This seems like a good idea, but how would it work if the all the teams getting relegated from the league above are southern?

I used the southern example because I can't imagine 3 northern teams would ever finish bottom of the league.
They would transfer the northernmost southern teams to the northern league.

One south and midland, one north and midland, then slowly balance the boundaries.
It makes sense but practical example. If the bottom 4 are distributed 2 north and 2 south how would you distribute that if Carlisle, Newcastle, Gateshead and Blackpool are the bottom 4?

There is already a north, south relegation situation, I'm just too lazy to look up how that works.

But playing at home second means should it go all the way to penalties you will have an advantage.

If you can take the lead, or keep it as a draw, having the second round game at home is an advantage,

I am sure most managers would prefer the second leg of a game to be at home, rather than away?
There shouldn't be a 2nd leg. One game at the home of the side that finished higher in the league.
And if its tied after 90 minutes in the semi final the side that finished higher wins automatically.

Great to see Notts County win today, they certainly made hard work of it. Even the shoot out when the guy decided to take a panenka with a potential winning penalty and hit the bar.

Thought Notts were going to biff it at times. Pleased they won and what a game too, I watched Wrexham crumble to Newport County in the final and fail to get up with 98 points. I'd spare any fan those feelings.

Somehow worse than any of our relegations as you knew those were coming.

Congratulations Notts, We'll have a part II rivalry next year 😉

The northern/southern league works for part time teams but the "professional" leagues should be national.

What's killing the game in the northern league is that all the decent players around the M25 just bounce around London and it's easier to attract players to the big smoke on bigger wages they'd be getting at Torquay/Yeovil. Teams in the northern league are struggling to attract players unless they've got funding or links for loans.

The conference bottle neck is hosting some crazily big ex league teams, who are now struggling to get out and more will keep dropping. Also for the part-timers and franchises like Hashtag United or greats stories like Dorking the league is potentially a ceiling whilst it's clogged up.

I'd make the conference EFL league 3, get 3 up and down then start the vanarama league as regional, again with 3 up/down.

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah the national league needs 3 going up ASAP. I'm sure 2 currently is down to self preservation of efl clubs but surely now they must realise if they get relegated now getting back up quickly is nigh on impossible.

Probably a worry now with Wrexham and Notts County getting promoted is the demands for 3 up 3 down will quieten down.

Non league keepers, nearly as bad as the refs 😂

Surprised Notts stuck with Slocombe when he got injured. Mair seemed decent and only lost his place when called up to Ireland u21s (I think).

They've been relentless all season, somehow dodgy at the back but always able to outscore their opponents.

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah the national league needs 3 going up ASAP. I'm sure 2 currently is down to self preservation of efl clubs but surely now they must realise if they get relegated now getting back up quickly is nigh on impossible.

Probably a worry now with Wrexham and Notts County getting promoted is the demands for 3 up 3 down will quieten down.

Quite the opposite from Wrexham, Ryan Reynolds has been very vocal on the more promotion places. Even after Wrexham won the league.

I believe they were at Wembley today as well, again pledging to speak to all the chairman involved to push the EFL for more places.

I think they've seen our 15 year exile as something no club should endure.

As a side note too I hope Southend get rid of their owner - People like Ron Martin should be forced out ownership and jailed for not paying HMRC bills to asset strip the club

On the topic mentioning about the pyramid system and how it can improve, I have a lot to say about the Scottish pyramid system which honestly you'll be shocked to hear that the SPFL (formally the SFL) was a closed shop up until 2013, ten years ago, which when you consider that the system remained unchanged for over a century is quite shocking for a nation that takes pride in its game and I'm so glad it has come into effect as it has saw teams who with all respect were nothing but bottom feeders who did nothing for the league other than wheezing along until hoping for a lucky cup run. Several sides have gone down and replaced with newer teams who all harbour ambition far greater than the teams who have gone down and it's all for the best, who knows how different the teams we'd have had the system been put into place a decade earlier.

That said, it's far from perfect and I could go into detail how I'd reform the league system but I'm not sure anyone would be interested to hear that. Anyway, to get promoted into the SPFL, pretty much the Football League if this was down south, the winners of the Highland and Lowland league don't get automatic promotion as you'd might think with the bottom two from Scottish League 2 going down; instead the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues have to play in a two legged play-off in which the winner of that then must play in another play-off with the bottom team from League 2.

It sounds grossly unfair that seems to benefit the side in the SPFL more, not to say that this has happened all the time, but you can see how this could be unfair for the Highland and Lowland leagues, who knows if they got automatic promotion spots then half of the bottom half of the SPFL would have looked different and many of the teams, mostly from the much wealthy Highland league, would have almost turned the Scottish game on its side a bit trying to challenge the 'established' powers in Scottish football.

So TLDR, say what you can say about the English pyramid but it's still more fairer than the Scottish league system overall and have I have a lot to say about the league system in the SPFL in how it needs to be shaken up a bit.

Shame about Southampton going down but that what happens when u sell your best players and replace them with championship players.
Shame Forest couldn’t find the win today as they got Arsenal next and palace on the final day.

After Leicesters loss tonight I'm feeling a touch more confident in us staying up and even getting something against Arsenal now

Forest will be fine. I suspect Leicester and Everton will join Saints

Shows bad management at the top does make a difference. No matter whabut t anyone says the Foxes Mey have invested well in infrstructure but player purchases have been average at beat since their chairman passed away. Shame really.

Barring a miracle, we're doomed. These players have no confidence, no fight and are not a team. The club has unfortunately been mismanaged for the past couple of years, and we are paying the ultimate price. Selling Kasper Schmeichel last summer, our one true leader, was the final nail in the coffin.

Still, I'd rather 8 years in the Premier League where we win the damn thing, along with the FA Cup and 3 European adventures including an epic Champions League run than 10 years of mid-table mediocrity. It's still the thing of dreams for most football fans, but I went and experienced it all!

Forest will be fine. I suspect Leicester and Everton will join Saints

Shows bad management at the top does make a difference. No matter whabut t anyone says the Foxes Mey have invested well in infrstructure but player purchases have been average at beat since their chairman passed away. Shame really.
Sorry, I seemed to lose my hearing aid in the middle of that post...then again, you might have been sleeptyping!!!