• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

The record is impressive.

Hamilton's luck is quite bad, but still nothing compared to Schumacher's this season.

It's part of racing and always will be!

Indeed it is, Alonso seems to be having a run of good luck.

Vettel had some amazing luck when he won the championship. Nothing went against him!

Its amazing that will all that skill and hard work luck still plays a large part of racing.

But you also make your own luck. You've got nothing to pick up a puncture from if you stick it on the front of the grid and stay there!

pluk said:
But you also make your own luck. You've got nothing to pick up a puncture from if you stick it on the front of the grid and stay there!

The debris left on the track on the next lap?

You can counter any argument about making your own luck. IE) Not being able to start at the front because of hitting traffic in qualifying, ruining your fast lap.

Well yes, I'm not suggesting luck does not exist as a concept, people will broadly have runs of it. But it could be why SV appeared so lucky when he won the championship by starting at the front every race.

Tom said:
You can counter any argument about making your own luck. IE) Not being able to start at the front because of hitting traffic in qualifying, ruining your fast lap.

The cars don't appear on the track at random, the team choosing when to deploy their driver to minimise this risk (ie, making their own luck!) is a skill some teams master. Same for engine reliability, tyre management, pit stop speed etc etc etc ....

Whatever.

pluk said:
Well yes, I'm not suggesting luck does not exist as a concept, people will broadly have runs of it. But it could be why SV appeared so lucky when he won the championship by starting at the front every race.

Tom said:

The cars don't appear on the track at random, the team choosing when to deploy their driver to minimise this risk (ie, making their own luck!) is a skill some teams master. Same for engine reliability, tyre management, pit stop speed etc etc etc ....

Whatever.

You still cannot account for someone making a mistake/having a problem/slowing down etc.

The fact of the matter is, the driver (that is his ability and skill) is probably 20% of the influence of Grand Prix results.

Tom said:
You still cannot account for someone making a mistake/having a problem/slowing down etc.

You're mistaking luck for skill/engineering/build quality etc. Yes, a lot of this stuff isn't directly influenced by the driver themselves, but then it isn't random who they drive for either. The drivers end up at teams by choice or circumstance broadly because of their skill level, the clever and deserving ones will put themselves at the strong reliable team at the right time.

Anyway, I think the decision on Vettels penalty is spot on. That overtake was completely off the track, he knew that and should have given the place back. Losing a further couple of places should give him a bit of encouragement to play fair next time.

That on board reply of the crash from Alonso's car looked scary, I bet seeing a car flying in front of him made him jump. :p

Just got in to find my Sky+ box has decided for me I did not want to watch F1 any more and hasn't bothered to record it, even though it has been series linked all season.

Balls.

It was a good win for Jenson. Have not seen a start to a race like that for a long time. It was rather exciting, glad everyone got out ok. Not sure if a one race ban is the right amount of punishment. It was a bad accident and could easily have killed Alonso.

Still looking forward to the next race.

I would argue that it is too much punishment. The incident that caused the crash wasn't all that bad compared to some of the stunts that Maldonado has pulled this season. It wasn't intentional, it was just down to lack of awareness and it happened to result in a large start crash that took out a lot of title contenders. I think that a race ban is harsh and it should be a grid drop max.

If penalties are dished out based on the outcome of an incident rather than the driving infringement that caused it, then that suggests that dangerous maneuvers that don't end in a crash are a less serious offence. I think there's been a lot of driving this season that has had the potential to be much more dangerous than what we saw yesterday but none of these have been given more than a grid drop.

I don't normally follow Formula One and so don't know all the detailed rules and punishments but I think what was serious about this event was the timing. Lack of awareness on the starting grid is a fairly big issue because technically he should have known exactly where Hamilton was as there was only one place he could have been. Imagine if someone cut into your lane on a motorway without spotting you because that's effectively what Grosjean did. Sure it's probably not the most dangerous manoeuvre but as there were so many cars around the chance of a multi-vehicle crash was almost certain, which was unfortunately what happened.

I think the penalty for Grosjean is absolutely fair and is fitting for the poor driving, regardless of the crash outcome.

I agree though that it is not consistent when compared to what Maldonado has received in the past. Maldonado has twice deliberately driven into other drivers, out of frustration or anger he has used his car as a weapon and deliberately endangered the lives of other drivers, stewards, spectators and himself. For me that is in a whole other league of wrong than simple bad driving, he should have had his super licence revoked by now.

The problem is with the penalty not given to Maldonado, no the one that was given to Grosjean.

I think Maldonado's jump start wold of unnerved everyone, maybe actually the indirect cause of the collision.

I do think the penalty is fair though for Grosjean, for reasons stated below.

Does anyone know how many points you can get on a Grade A race license? Surely Maldonado is nearing his limit?

Fake Jake Humphrey is leaving the BBC at the end of the F1 season.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, he is biased and bitchy.

I think it's a great shame, I like him. You want to see fake and clueless watch that grinning buffoon of an anchor on Sky F1. Jake knows his stuff, is slick and calm and seems to have great rapport with a lot of the drivers and team principles. As for bias, when exactly? The coverage is always going to slightly British driver orientated as it is made by British people for British people by the British Broadcasting Corporation. What on earth is the problem with that?

If this means we have Louise Goodman as anchor to look forward to I may give up on the whole thing. No one will be producing coverage I can tolerate.