• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

AIUI the offers on the table for 2019 were Renault and McLaren, and he went with the money.

I can safely say there were more offers on the table…

An old school friend of mine works for Mercedes on the pit crew. I here a lot of rumours through him - and I’m pretty confident in what he has to say.

Another one that is already circling is Vettel to Haas next season…. I can only assume it’s due to Schumacher being there

This is how I see Danny Rics career

B3A48E56-1E96-4630-B7DC-C006FA019444.jpeg

Last edited:
Sainz really needs to get his act together, otherwise he is going to be a clear number 2 driver this season.

The Mercedes really looked terrible today, really concerning.

Not sure why we have a sprint race at a track where it’s difficult to overtake. Surely if we must have them they should be at overtaking circuits!?

Sainz really needs to get his act together, otherwise he is going to be a clear number 2 driver this season.
You weren't already clear on that?

Ferrari aren't known for being a team that operates any other way - 2009 and 2019 were pretty much the only seasons in recent times where I think there has been any doubt as to who their number 1 truly was.

Things can mean their support shifts due to circumstances - Schumacher being taken out in 1999 and a terrible run for Raikonnen in 2008 - but throwing their support behind a single driver is very much their modus operandi.

Last edited:
Hopefully a great show between Verstappen and Leclerc tomorrow, subject to RB's reliability. Also hoping to see KMag on the podium, great recovery from his trip to the gravel trap.

Sprint races in the current format ruin the race weekend for me. There was overtaking, a pass for the lead, but it just feels like all it has done is allow those who had a bad qual on Friday to recover (Perez and Sainz) and those who had a great qualifying to lose out (Alonso). The first third of the main race is going to be less interesting as all the qual quirks have been sorted out. DRS was also to powerful, Perez and Sainz were ahead when overtaking well before the corner. Even Max on Leclerc was not really a battle.

But, was that more fun than watching another free practice session. I guess it was. The simple fix for me, is to stop the result from determining the grid for Sundays race. Just let the Qualifying on Friday determine the grid for the Sprint and Main race. I know that means the back of the grid have nothing to play for, but maybe make the race optional for the back of the grid. Teams who don't ruin can save engine and car mileage which might allow them to run the engine at a higher level for the main race, compared to the cars in front who don't.

Parc Ferme rules need changing as well. Maybe only have the cars locked in after the sprint race? Allow the teams to play with a Qual setup for Qual, and then a race setup for the race? P1 allows teams to focus on Qual setup, P2 allows teams to focus on race setup.

Also, very pleased to find this waiting for me when I got home, 100% free as well :)

1650789722826.png

For me the sprint races are too short. Yesterday needed another 10 laps.

If they don’t change race length the. I also think it should be a top 10 only race - with points cutting down to the top 5 only.

Those teams outside the top 10 can change their setup - those in it can’t. The top 10 places decided by the sprint race position.

I enjoy having an extra race during the weekend, but I don't think they should have the result determine the grid for the race on Sunday. Qualifying should still set the Sunday grid, then have the sprint race on Saturday as a totally separate thing just for a bit of extra excitement.

The grid for the sprint should be in reverse-championship order, then it gives the teams lower down in the championship an opportunity to score some valuable points, and should be exciting watching the much faster drivers/teams fight their way through the pack.

Happy to see a McLaren podium yesterday after the shock at the start of the season. The Merc power unit is clearly lacking in comparison to Ferrari and Red Bull, so an unexpected podium but gives the team a mighty push and morale boost. Its a shame Riccardo just seems to have no luck

Good race. I thought it was notable that RBR held back on gloating ala Merc in Monza 2018.

Some interesting narratives coming through. Vettel seemed like Vettel out there compared to Australia. Gap between the Haas cars is shrinking. Where the hell is Hamilton? How long does he continue failing against his teammate? Feels like a Ricciardo/Vettel at RBR situation to me; multiple world champion used to driving the best car paired with someone used to extracting most out of a backmarker - suddenly doesn't look so hot when both driving a 'best of the rest' level car.

Worst race of the season so far I thought, and weekend in general. Qualifying was a waste of time. The race was dull until Leclerc made his error.

The parc ferme rules seemed bizarre to me. Friday was a wash out with FP1 being pretty meaningless and then cars locked in for the rest of the weekend. I know the weather can't be helped but it limited what the teams could do.

I do think there's been an overreaction with Lewis's position. Lewis got unlucky with the safety car in Jeddah, again in Australia and then yesterday a poor pit stop and Ocon's unsafe release seriously damaged his hopes of getting any clean air with the DRS train. I think Russell has acknowledged he's had some good fortune. I'm not saying Lewis had a particularly great weekend, some of it is on him - I also did think he would take more risks and go super late on the brakes against Gasly - but it's too early to say he's finished. Still another 19 races to go and at some point Mercedes will be back, it'll probably just be too late for the 2022 season.

Reactions: Rob
Lewis is far from finished

But the car is piss poor - and he won’t be here next season IF things don’t change.

I think he’s had some bad luck this season to be fair. But even then he should only be fighting for 5th and 6th at best.

I can see him having a crack elsewhere next season. Maybe Ferrari? If Sainz continues to through away the best chance he has had in his career

Lewis is far from finished

But the car is piss poor - and he won’t be here next season IF things don’t change.

I think he’s had some bad luck this season to be fair. But even then he should only be fighting for 5th and 6th at best.

I can see him having a crack elsewhere next season. Maybe Ferrari? If Sainz continues to through away the best chance he has had in his career
Wont be Ferrari: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61174774

Aston Martin might be an option.

I can not see Lewis leaving Mercedes now. If he was going to leave, McLaren would seem like the most likely choice (Replacing Ricardo), but I suspect by the end of the season the Mercedes will be ahead of McLaren on pace, and would McLaren want to pair Lando who signed a long term deal with Lewis?

Ferrari have got Leclerc and Sainz signed up on a long term deal.

Alpine as the other engine manufacture might be an option, but the Renault engine is not competitive, and Lewis wants to be winning races.

RedBull have Max signed up long term, and Perez and Max appear to have a great relationship with Perez understanding he is the No.2 driver. It would be very exciting to see Lewis and Max in the same team, with no team orders.

The Teams which own the engines, tend to have the best car with that engine, so I think its unlikely he would opt to join Aston Martin or Haas.

Lewis is going through a rough patch with some bad luck, but he is a great driver, and once Mercedes figure out the car, he will be back.

The Imola race was not a classic, but still enjoyable. Vettel, Yuki, and Albon all had a great race. Yuki pulling off some nice passes. Albon holding on to 11th, despite pressure from Gasly and Lewis behind him. RedBull 1-2 is always good to see as well, and it was an almost perfect weekend from Max.

A bad weekend to be a Spanish F1 fan, with Sainz being having contact with Ricarado, and Alonso getting race ending damage from Schumacher.

Charles needs to learn from this weekend, that he can not afford to make mistakes like he did this weekend, he was very lucky to get back to 6th place. I guess if Charles had pulled it off, and got past Perez, we would of all being calling it a fantastic strategy. The margins are so thin in F1.

Miami is going to be an interesting race, and I am not sure what to expect.

The Teams which own the engines, tend to have the best car with that engine, so I think its unlikely he would opt to join Aston Martin or Haas.

Much is made of this but I don't think it's true, it just seems that way because Merc have dominated so much recently.

Prior to Merc you had 4 years of RBR double championship wins as a customer, 2009 where Brawn double win as a customer, 2007/8 evenly matched between Ferrari works and McLaren customer. Prior to that you have the Renault and Ferrari eras but then in the 90s it was a right mix of mostly customer teams winning.

Either way if he feels the tide has turned against him at Merc I very much doubt a works team deal is possible in 2022 at least, unless Alonso decides he's had enough again.

We're 4 races in to a very long season. If Mercedes get their act together and begin to understand their car then there is no reason why they cannot be back at the top in 2023.

We're 4 races in to a very long season. If Mercedes get their act together and begin to understand their car then there is no reason why they cannot be back at the top in 2023.
The question isn't whether Merc will have the strongest car available to Hamilton... I can't imagine Alpine or any of the Merc customers having a better package all around than Merc, so that's almost irrelevant. It's about how the team will support Russell and/or what Hamilton perceives that means for his chances of being WDC again.

Unless Merc are truly dominant 2014-2017 style they won't be in a position to allow their drivers to race for more than the very first few races of the season; otherwise even with a car that's a tenth quicker they'll still lose the WDC to a team who have nominated a #1 driver. On present form it'd be Russell getting that support, not Hamilton.

Worth remembering too that the engines are going to be homologated over the course of this season and it doesn't seem like Merc have got an advantage there (which did a lot of the heavy lifting in their dominant years, remember how strong Williams were even back then!).

Unless Merc are truly dominant 2014-2017 style they won't be in a position to allow their drivers to race for more than the very first few races of the season; otherwise even with a car that's a tenth quicker they'll still lose the WDC to a team who have nominated a #1 driver. On present form it'd be Russell getting that support, not Hamilton.
I have no doubts that if ther Mercedes was at the front of the field we would be seeing a different Lewis Hamilton to the one we are seeing right now.

Russell currently has a point to prove, he needs to show he is worthy of being promoted from Williams to Mercedes (which I think he is). Meanwhile Hamilton must be feeling so demoralised by not having a car that can compete. That, coupled with some bad luck in a couple of race, has an impact on form. It is the same across many sports.

Hamilton has already conceded that his championship is over.
Not so much the points situation, but the fact that his car is not catching up development wise.
Getting blue flagged and lapped by Verstappen must have hurt.