• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

What's boring is seeing great drivers in cars that simply can't match their talent. Hamilton being the prime example. Vettel is as good, but not better than Hamilton - he's simply been racing in a much more reliable and faster car.

Danza91 said:
Tom said:
It was the same last year

No, it wasn't.

The sport is in a mess, it seems like 80% of the analysis and chat is about tyres, not about drivers. Bored of this season completely.

Certain people spoke out about the tyres last year but they were rudely ignored because bosses had their beloved 7 different winners in the same numbe rof races etc. If you want Formula One to be an 'exciting' lottery of unpredictability where anything can happen - IE Maldonado winning a race then dfailing to score a point again - then it's fine. However some people like to see the best drivers and best teams acheive the success they deserve.

Tom said:
However some people like to see the best drivers and best teams achieve the success they deserve.

I think the driver is only as good as the team around him, and the team is only as good as the person driving.

F1 is a team game, and although the driver is in the spotlight, without the rest of the team, they would be going no where fast.

The tires are the same for everyone, what makes it difficult, is teams designing their car based on the result of testing at the start of the season, only for the tires to change through out the season. IMO, the 6 different compounds should be made available at the start of the season, and they do not change after the initial test.

The other thing about F1 and any sport is there is a element of luck involved. You can be the best driver, with the best team, but if you have bad luck, you can find yourself out of the race through no fault of your own.

Ian

I thought he was a good bloke, but I suppose it's the same as all other business

Involves CVC Partners, aren't they shareholders in another dodgy business called Merlin Entertainments?

josht said:
I thought he was a good bloke
Are we talking about the same poisonous dwarf?!
I'm still blaming him for the fact that I now have to pay £40 a month to keep up with Formula 1 - not to mention the other catchpennies. He's probably done the sport a lot of good along the way, but I won't miss him if this is his goodbye to it...

I was at Alton all day, and only just got in and watched the F1 on Sky plus.
I'm a Force India fan.
And I'm inconsolable :(

Even with F1 in its current poor state of slow cars and tame engines, Spa makes for an amazing spectacle.

WillG said:
I was at Alton all day, and only just got in and watched the F1 on Sky plus.
I'm a Force India fan.
And I'm inconsolable :(
Hamilton is on pole mate ;)

Well, Michelin rumoured to be in talks with the heads of F1 for next year tyre supply.

Interrresting....

It won't make any difference, if a tyre company is contractually bound to make high-degradation tyres in the interest of creating a random lottery of winners, they will be.

Michelin are providing the tyres for the new Formula E class next year, where I hope there will be no such silly demands.

I really don't think Michelin will be the tyre provider again, Well not for at long time. They lost lots of money last time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mexican Grand Prix set for 2014 Formula 1 calendar slot

Mexico is poised to make a surprise return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2014, after high level sources revealed that it is to be awarded a provisional slot in next year's schedule.

Although teams have not yet been given a draft calendar, AUTOSPORT understands that Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is intending to pencil in a race in Mexico City.

Sources suggest that the race, which is likely to take place as a back-to-back with Austin, is most likely to be given a provisional slot pending the completion of a commercial contract and work on the Mexico City track.

With recent plans for a race in Cancun having been dropped, Mexican businessman Carlos Slim Domit has been working hard on the Mexico City plan.

Sources with good knowledge of the situation are adamant that the Mexico City track, which last hosted a race in 1992 (pictured), can be readied in time for a return in 2014.

Speaking earlier this year, Slim said that Mexico was closing in on an F1 return.

"I believe there is potential to do more races in the Americas and I believe that Mexico is in the right spot to do it," said Slim in an interview with AUTO, the journal of the FIA.

"It's a stable country by and large, our economy is doing quite well and we have drivers people can identify with.

"All of the pieces are coming together and I believe the potential promoters are doing a good job in trying to secure something."

Mexico's addition to the calendar comes with Austria also returning, and Russia hosting its first race.

India will be dropped, while there are also doubts about Korea and New Jersey.

If this actually happens, then I suspect that quite a few people will be happy. The first visit to Mexico since 1992, and with the rise of Sergio Pérez, this does seem as though it may well happen. A refurb of the circuit previously used in Mexico City will be needed, but with Carlos Slim - one of the richest men in the world - backing it, I have a feeling that it may happen. Plus, with Austria set to return next year as well, we could be seeing racing on two 'classic' circuits once again! (Although the Red Bull Ring in Austria was basically butchered from when it was the Österreichring back in the 1970s and 1980s.)

Inversic said:
So what are people's opinions of the penalties given to Webber and Alonso for the infamous lift at Singapore?

I think they're just alienating the few remaining people that actually enjoy watching F1. It's gotten to the point where they might as well just cancel all the races and hand Vettel the title for the next 2 or 3 years - at least it'd save him being booed.

Next season's calendar has been provisionally confirmed by the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC). 22 races, with three of those - New Jersey, Korea and Mexico - being provisional. The link gives the dates, as well as those for other categories, and the F1 dates are also here.

16th March - Australia
30th March - Malaysia
6th April - Bahrain
20th April - China
27th April - Korea (provisional)
11th May - Spain {note 1}
25th May - Monaco
1st June - America (provisional) {note 2}
8th June - Canada
22nd June - Austria {note 3}
6th July - Great Britain
20th July - Germany {note 4}
27th July - Hungary
24th August - Belgium
7th September - Italy
21st September - Singapore
5th October - Russia {note 5}
12th October - Japan
26th October - Abu Dhabi
9th November - USA {note 6}
16th November - Mexico (provisional) {note 7}
30th November - Brazil

Additional notes
1 - To be held at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, after the race-sharing agreement between Catalunya and Valencia fell through, and Valencia's track & buildings are reported to be in poor condition.
2 - To be held at the Port Imperial Street Circuit in New Jersey, subject to confirmation.
3 - To be held at the Red Bull Ring, previously known as the Österreichring and the A1- Ring. Last used for Formula 1 in 2003 as the A1- Ring.
4 - To be held at the Hockenheimring as per the race-sharing agreement with the Nürburgring.
5 - To be held at the Sochi International Street Circuit, around the Olympic Park used for next year's Winter Olympics.
6 - To be held at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, subject to confirmation. Last used for Formula 1 in 1992.
7 - To be held at the Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas.

I'm quite happy to see the return of Austria and Mexico, if I'm honest. Mexico's track seems interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing cars racing around it again, despite the fact that the last F1 race there was a few months before I was even born. :p I'd like to see New Jersey get on the calendar, but it all depends on whether or not they can pull it off and get it ready on time. Russia could be interesting, but given recent events in the country, I'm not as enthusiastic towards it as I was. Should still be a good season, though.

Alastair said:
I think they're just alienating the few remaining people that actually enjoy watching F1. It's gotten to the point where they might as well just cancel all the races and hand Vettel the title for the next 2 or 3 years - at least it'd save him being booed.
No, I think that's a little pessimistic - sure, it's almost sealed in stone that Vettel will win his 4th title this season, but next year, with a whole host of regulation changes etc. I think we'll start to see a shift in power - Vettel's domination won't last forever, and I certainly wouldn't count out a Mercedes/McLaren resurgence in 2014.