• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum app

Kurtis Rogers

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Booster Maxx the only ride that still gets me
Just thought how would I make a forum app I've got the design for the homepage an that's is what would i have to do to make one

Re: fourm app

Done one for you. :)

Qmoou.png

Oh dear Sam :p

Coastermaster said:
Just thought how would I make a forum app I've got the design for the homepage an that's is what would i have to do to make one

In terms of forum apps, we don't have our own as such due to the complexities involved. There is however, support for Tapatalk on TST. It is a paid for app but is extremely handy for browsing the forums on mobiles and tablets :).

Tapatalk is great for browsing the forum. As for the main site, there isn't much yet that justifies an app. I know on TT, back in the day, there was a mobile meetup site which had a small shoutbox for posting group locations, etc. Maybe in the future an app might be made, but in all honesty, there just isn't any need for it yet.

BigDave said:
Tapatalk is great for browsing the forum. As for the main site, there isn't much yet that justifies an app.

I probably sound like a broken record, the amount of times I've mentioned this here, but:

There's nothing on the main site that justifies an app - at all. The site can be made to work great on mobile just by making the right tweaks to the styling to make it responsive to smaller screen sizes.

Big name sites like BBC News and The Guardian are working on completely responsive sites, in part to avoid the cost and burden of maintaining apps across an ever-growing range of devices and platforms.

Sure, there would still be hurdles along the way, but a single source for your content across all platforms is far easier to maintain and develop than a suite of apps, a website, and all the additional layers you'd have to create inbetween. :)

Unfortunately for me, University of Worcester heavily teaches RWD as part of its core computing modules. Booooo. :(

So there definitely won't be an app for the site any more, even though one was never planned :)

What possible advantage would an app bring? This whole "everything must have an app otherwise it's not cool!!1!111!!" fad is starting to get tiresome. Like the (probably fake) SW7 one... a ride does not need an "appvert" and neither do you.
I'd be amazed if even 1% of apps out there actually serve a purpose.

[/rant]

Blasphemous,

Theres lots of things TST could use an app for.

Obviously creating a custom way for people to log in/use/post on the forum without the need for a Tapatalk app. Not an easy task but an option. Then sharing a mobile version of the main site useful for people visiting the park and with an interactive map a la what the guys at Towers Nerd created. Added to that it could have mobile notifications for keeping people in the conversation on forums and within chat. Not only that it would allow TST to bring breaking news and pictures as thats something that no other site does at the moment and would be useful for many.

Mobile notify people of meets and allow them to see if they are attending and perhaps share the location of members during meets? Allow people to share pictures of meets and create conversation links and custom hashtags for meet ups #StaffsSandwich springs to mind then let people create a conversation. Perhaps something the team could do, give every Meet its own hashtag?

An app could bring a whole new group of people into TST and shouldnt be frowned upon. Theres lots of features a mobile app could bring but the majority are far more trouble than their worth. As others have said utilising tapatalk, twitter, youtube and facebook better and perhaps considering a mobile site further down the line should be realistic goals for now.