• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum Quick Questions

This isn’t so much an issue as it is a question.

I’d simply be intrigued to know; what is the team’s rationale behind keeping the Courtyard Tavern blocked off from non-members these days? Does the team feel that an 18+ warning on that forum is still warranted?

I can definitely understand why that forum was blocked off and designated 18+ in the earlier years of the site, as some of the content posted in the early days of the Tavern seemed to be… not family-friendly, to say the least. However, I’d argue that the Tavern has definitely mellowed over the years, and I’d argue that the sort of threads that are front and centre in the Tavern these days aren’t really any less family-friendly than those in the likes of Corner Coffee or Box Office. They’re simply more “fun” rather than discussing serious topics like those in Corner Coffee, in my view.

I’m certainly not criticising, by the way. I’d simply be interested to know why the team feels this is still warranted.

I’d simply be intrigued to know; what is the team’s rationale behind keeping the Courtyard Tavern blocked off from non-members these days? Does the team feel that an 18+ warning on that forum is still warranted?

I can definitely understand why that forum was blocked off and designated 18+ in the earlier years of the site, as some of the content posted in the early days of the Tavern seemed to be… not family-friendly, to say the least. However, I’d argue that the Tavern has definitely mellowed over the years, and I’d argue that the sort of threads that are front and centre in the Tavern these days aren’t really any less family-friendly than those in the likes of Corner Coffee or Box Office. They’re simply more “fun” rather than discussing serious topics like those in Corner Coffee, in my view.

I’m certainly not criticising, by the way. I’d simply be interested to know why the team feels this is still warranted.
So the Tavern isn't really "blocked off", so not sure what you mean by that? It's a recommendation is all, and it's important for adult content to not show for unregistered users. But, it's a place to allow people to have more adult oriented conversations that may not be suitable for those who are younger, or for those who are at work browsing the forum.

Sure, some things may be fine to read and less adult oriented - and it's true that has changed as time has gone on. Like every forum on here, the content is community led so will change over time - but I'd still say a separate "let loose" board is required, especially since we've had to politely remind people about swearing outside of it in recent weeks.

Edit: I've noticed a couple of threads that shouldn't be in there, so have jigged those around to the relevant forums :)

So the Tavern isn't really "blocked off", so not sure what you mean by that? It's a recommendation is all, and it's important for adult content to not show for unregistered users. But, it's a place to allow people to have more adult oriented conversations that may not be suitable for those who are younger, or for those who are at work browsing the forum.

Sure, some things may be fine to read and less adult oriented - and it's true that has changed as time has gone on. Like every forum on here, the content is community led so will change over time - but I'd still say a separate "let loose" board is required, especially since we've had to politely remind people about swearing outside of it in recent weeks.

Edit: I've noticed a couple of threads that shouldn't be in there, so have jigged those around to the relevant forums :)
Sorry, I think I phrased that badly. What I meant by “blocked off” is that non-members can’t access it.

I appreciate the response, and I fully understand your reasoning. Perhaps being a registered member for over 6 years has desensitised me to the Tavern a bit!

You are correct that the Tavern has definitely mellowed, but there are still many active topics which are unsuitable for family viewing.

Generally if you’re viewing a forum without a membership/no intention of signing up, you’re likely simply browsing for advice on something, or interested in opinions of a certain subject.

The Tavern is an anything goes place to talk nonsense, it’s highly unlikely non-members would find those topics of any value.

Apologies if I've missed prior communication, but are we not having Member Awards this year? Looking at last year's thread one would have been started now if you were. Again, apologies if I'm just being ignorant, but just wondering.

Apologies if I've missed prior communication, but are we not having Member Awards this year? Looking at last year's thread one would have been started now if you were. Again, apologies if I'm just being ignorant, but just wondering.
I had a chat with @Craig about this and we decided not to do them this year. It’s good to give these things a rest from time to time, to avoid them getting too stale (and to assess the popularity of them in general), and we also have the TS community survey going on this month which we didn’t really want to draw too much attention from. Besides, we’re all busy people with full time jobs, and this is the busiest I’ve ever been at this time of year, so even if I’d started it the quality wouldn’t have likely been quite as high as I like these things to be.

Surprised it took this long for anyone to say anything tbh!

I had a chat with @Craig about this and we decided not to do them this year. It’s good to give these things a rest from time to time, to avoid them getting too stale (and to assess the popularity of them in general), and we also have the TS community survey going on this month which we didn’t really want to draw too much attention from. Besides, we’re all busy people with full time jobs, and this is the busiest I’ve ever been at this time of year, so even if I’d started it the quality wouldn’t have likely been quite as high as I like these things to be.

I'd wondered the same thing, but didn't feel comfortable asking. Seems a bit of a shame, but I hope your busyness has been enjoyable, at least!

Having said that, a lot of awards shows start their process in the New Year, if you have a change of heart. 🪿

That's fair and completely understandable. Bit of a shame though as I did two big trip reports lol.

Is there a reason FB links are showing up in German?

1708465536768.png

I'm seeing this on desktop and mobile so it's not just my computer being weird
This one will be down to where the server is based. We'll be looking for a possible fix soon though :)

It's the most pedantic of relatively self centred requests that I could make, but please do take it at least a little seriously.

Are you able, pretty please, to increase the width (on the forum's theme stylesheet) of ".message-cell.message-cell--user" from 156px to 179px? It would allow my username to fit all on one line, without being that noticeable of a change otherwise.

Before:
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 17.35.45.png

After! 😁 ^
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 17.34.18.png