Fuji-Q Highland: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Rob, 11th Nov 2016.

1. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

oops sorry typo capacity.
    Yes Fuji Q is known for there bad operations aren't they. However aren't these two rides per car of something like that? If they are and that combined with bad operations will make this awful to queue for.

2. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

Capacity means nothing at Fuji Q, they could build a B&M and still manage to get only get 400 ppl and hour through it somehow.

I'd imagine that the scale of this investment is somewhat lower than what we've seen in the past due to the lingering uncertainty of covid. Japanese people also have a more cautious attitude towards re-opening with over 50% of the population wanting to avoid crowds unless necessary until the pandemic is over according to a recent survey.

I'm sure Maurer's reputation for outstanding capacity and Fuji Q's for incredible throughput will be a match made in heaven, as long as it takes queues away from Dodonpa, I don't really care about what it is they build :p

3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    This isn’t a smaller-scale investment; it’s costing the same as Eejanaika did and more than Dodonpa and Takabisha. I also believe it was signed off on prior to COVID happening.

I’ll admit I’m surprised that a Maurer Spike Dragster could cost that much, but given this is Fuji-Q, I’m guessing it could be a large-scale one, or have something really special up its sleeves!

Besides, the park lacked a middle-ground family coaster anyway, so this is a good way to fill that void, in my eyes!

JAperson likes this.
  4. MaxPower

In that case, they've had their pants pulled down. :laughing:

JAperson and Matt N like this.
  5. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    Maurer must have the best salesperson in the world if they've managed to sell another one of these! I cant think of a less appealing coaster type out there right now.

JAperson and MaxPower like this.
  6. JAperson

I really hope this is the case otherwise this
    is absolutely true. To me it seems like something designed for small parks not massive headliner parks like this. I really hope they have got something special in store with it otherwise this really is a ridiculous price for a below average family coaster with a bit of a cheap (expensive in this case) gimmick.

MaxPower and Matt N like this.
  7. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    Remember that it has been 20 years since they bought Dodonpa and 15 since Eejanaika (well, opened. Planning and development lead time accounted for, it’s probably another year or two before that where at least some money started exchanging hands). Things will have increased in price since then with inflation, we’ve seen a global economic downturn in that time, a global pandemic more recently, and you’ve also got continually fluctuating economies that will be having an impact. A quick and dirty check on an inflation calculator suggests that Eejanaika would cost around £1.5M more today than it did in 2006 and that’s without any global factors like currency exchange.

Eejanaika was also subbed out to a Japanese manufacturer, which will no doubt have saved a fortune on manufacturing and shipping costs. If this is being manufactured in Munich, as I believe most of Maurer’s rides are, it won’t be cheap shipping and importing it to Japan, I would think.

They may well be overpaying for what this ride is, but it’s not as simply as drawing a direct comparison between a ride build so many years ago. Takabisha would probably be a much fairer comparison, in terms of time and global factors, but even that was a decade ago now. Christ I feel old.

Matt N and JAperson like this.
  8. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    This could be a larger-scale project than many expect; Desmo Race at Mirabilandia is actually 72ft tall and reaches 50mph, as it turns out, and Maurer have said that the model is capable of “very high speeds”!

JAperson likes this.
  9. JAperson

To be fair this video does make it look like a lot of fun:

Maurer have done lots of trick tracks and other cool elements on there spinning coaster so I'm sure they could implement something like that on these. If they did that it would make this ride really good actually.
    For Fuji Q I suppose its something very different to anything else the have got so could fill a gap in there line-up. The capacity is the main issue but like others have said they have high capacity rides and don't operate them like that anyway so I suppose it won't make much difference.

Matt N likes this.
  10. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

MaxPower and Matt N like this.
  11. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I mean, it does feel like that thing is pushing your body to the limits of what is safe and fun ... I honestly thought my face was going to be torn off.

MaxPower likes this.
  12. MaxPower

The only coaster where I've been genuinely worried about having a heart attack half way around.

Lets hope it reopens with no modifications to tame it in any way.

Rick likes this.
  13. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Do-Dodonpa is still closed, and it would appear that more injuries have been discovered: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20211124/p2a/00m/0na/007000c

The total believed to have broken bones on Do-Dodonpa now sits at 12, and there are also 2 other people who may have gained injuries from the park’s other rides; a woman in her 20s discovered she had broken a rib shortly after visiting the park, while a woman in her 40s discovered a compressed lumbar fracture upon visiting the doctor shortly after going to the park.

MaxPower, JAperson and Skyscraper like this.
  14. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Genuinely want to ride this coaster more than ever. Can they do a swap with BPB for Icon?

Skyscraper likes this.