• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future improvements for Charlie

M1ke

TS Member
List the amount of things that are wrong with Charlie and the chocolate factory at Alton towers

[edit: Topic title changed]

Re: Things that are WRONG with Charlie

I wouldn't say that anything is wrong with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 'Wrong' is too strong a word to use because no ride or (Or any art form) can ever be truly wrong. In this case of what's 'wrong' with the ride, it merely boils down to the Toyland Tours budget exchange by the park and not down to the effort of the people who did the best to make the ride at least exist.

The question that should asked really is 'What needs realistically improving with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?' rather than one that outright asks to pick on a ride that doesn't deserve the brute of the enthusiast community.

I think the lift is a brilliant finale - and after going behind the scenes and seeing the tech needed to run it I cant criticise it.

The main issue seems to be that the story and book are so famous and well loved that expectations were high and it just failed to meet what people expected.

Side note: Please try to make posts/topics as discussions, not just 'list...' etc.

Well... Personally Charlie for me is the most frustrating ride at the park. To be honest the theming is poor but I do agree that the lift is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Although I probably shouldnt complain about it because almost every time I go to AT I end up going on it but surely I'm not alone in thinking that it's not a good ride I know at least that Balhatchet agrees with me on this topic.

The future of Charlie is an interesting one.

My own personal view is that a boat ride through a chocolate factory is a good concept, and it's Towers' poor implementation of this that is the issue.

I would start by improving the queueline - a meandering maze queue (especially outside), which could so easily be spruced up by a bit of theming and a few interactive chocolate-themed bits to pass the time for kids (which, after all, is who this ride's primary target audience is).

The ride itself needs more of a chocolate-y scent - a powerful one at that - and the scenes on the actual ride need to be completely overhauled. I've been working on some concepts for how these might be improved for what would be relatively little investment, which I will share if/when complete :) (but it revolves around the idea of animatronics, in a similar concept idea to some of the Europa Park rides)

Im personally a fan of the lift section, and think that needs little adjustment (it's the only real thing in the ride which works for me in the way it is implemented as it stands), just needs to be working and well maintained all the time, which it isnt all too often at the moment!

Just a few thoughts from me anyway :)

Probably the best moment of the backstage tour at TT@10 was seeing that Charlie has actually formed an oxbow lake in its transformation from Toyland Tours.

Sam said:
Probably the best moment of the backstage tour at TT@10 was seeing that Charlie has actually formed an oxbow lake in its transformation from Toyland Tours.

Blonde momment.. What does that mean? :eek: ::)

Zak said:
Sam said:

c01981.jpg

Essentially they cut a new section of channel towards the end of Charlie in terms of boat ride (Removing the section that originally would've featured Bath Time and Sonic) where I believe the squirrel and boat stop scenes are. The section that originally featured the Finale is now used as a blank space for boats to travel through to back where the old Showboat sits.

One of my biggest bug bears with the ride is the mirror scene. It just seems so very bare and empty. I'd like to see some oompa loompas, dancing. In fact that is exactly what the ride needs, more oompa loompas being silly and mischievous.

A shop either before or after the ride would probably be the only upselling opportunity ever supported by an Alton Towers community, but it would bring in so much money for Merlin I'm surprised we haven't seen one. The only reason I can think we won't see one would be a rule in the contract with the Dahl foundation.

One of the things which I'd like to see much much more at Alton Towers, Merlin and on Charlie is the cheeky pun sense of humour which is lacking at the moment. I'd like to see more puns, more Dahl words such as scrumptious or flazwazzler.

I just think it needs more personality. It's very bland. I like the ride, don't think I'm being critical of it, because I'm not, I just don't feel any emotional attachment to it like you do other rides. Perhaps it's because I'm too old for it, but that shouldn't be the case, a dark ride needs to be for mardy teenagers, young children and grannies.

What I don't get about this ride is that the theming is supposed to be a magical factory recreating that amazing moment of the boat ride along a chocolate river, however due to Alton Towers poor implementation of the theming of the ride, what we have is a ride which is basically a slow and frustrating boat ride around some not very magical or aesthetically pleasing scenes in Dahl's book. Currently this part of the ride I would describe as worse than Alice in Wonderland at PBB.

For the future I would suggest that Alton towers gave the ride some more character with the introduction of actors or more complex animatronics because all the current oompa lumpas do in the ride is wave creepily. Although it isn't all bad the ride does have the basics of this story there. It does already include most of the enchanted scenes in the story I just feel that the ride needs drastic character improvement because currently the ride tends to bore even some enthusiasts who would quite commonly refer to a ride as an EXPERIENCE if they felt as of it were below par.

I highly doubt that Alton would consider adding extra effects into a ride that is many years old now, and instead, will concentrate on other, new attractions.

If, in the unlikely situation that they do, however, I would like to see the following changes:

• Added theming- This is a bit of a no-brainer really. The level of theming in Charlie is not the best, and could be improved to match the quirkiness of the books, and to the films. The current theming is average at its best, and most of the effects are usually broken, so this brings me on to my next point.
  • More reliable/fixed effects- Whilst some of the effects may be a good idea, they are not executed well, and are not the most reliable of things. If the current effects were worked on, the ride would be improved substantially, and it would make the ride a whole lot better!
  • Extended story line- In my opinion, the story throughout Charlie is not close enough the the book or the films, but if this was improved, then the ride would be better. A few added videos around the ride, explaining the factory and such more clearly would work well, and keep people interested.

Of course, these are only wishes and it is highly unlikely that they will ever happen...

Does anyone actually know when the contract ends on Charlie? 6 years of service surly the contract is ending soon?

Depending how long the park keep the Ice Age IP they could potentially turn Charlie into a Ice Age dark ride. It just depends how popular the brand will be whenever the Charlie contract does run out. Preferably I'd like them to make a unique Cloud Cukoo Land one along the lines off Adventures In Cloud Cukoo Land or somthing along those lines and bring Snorlix back!!!

Would like to see Towers retheme it to a CCL based ride... Keeping the layout and lifts but incorporating a heavier amount of well themed animatronics, lighting and sound...

The boat ride portion is just dull, especially when NONE of the characters are visible... Such a poorly designed ride, but unsurprising considering the other additions at the time...

The main concerns i have with this ride are:

1: The Umpa Loompas, i really don't like that they are just stationary statues, stood there watching you constantly. with the exception of the last one that waves in a very questionable way. A few animatronic Umpas would add somehtign to the scenes i think.

2: The fact the Singing was turned off after about 2 days. an important part of the story is the Umpa Loompas singing, it helps get the story across. its been 6 years now since they were last used on the ride, id like o see towers create some new audio for them that the Dahl Foundation approves of.

3. Mirror Maze: the last scene of the boat ride is just a mess. most people dont even seem to notice the main part of the story going on, in the form of Verruca getting dumped in the trash. instead they are distracted by the squirrels that were added later on.

Rowe said:
Zak said:
Sam said:

c01981.jpg

Essentially they cut a new section of channel towards the end of Charlie in terms of boat ride (Removing the section that originally would've featured Bath Time and Sonic) where I believe the squirrel and boat stop scenes are. The section that originally featured the Finale is now used as a blank space for boats to travel through to back where the old Showboat sits.
Ah brings back many good memories of GCSE geography

The boat ride feels exceptionally rushed. Before its even finished telling one story, its already moved onto the next area. Also, and I'm sorry both Falcons treehouse and Bose, but the audio quality is absolutely shocking. Its hard to make out what's being said, its not properly synced with the ride and the idea of having various speakers located around the rooms to get a more immersive environment, just doesn't work!

So how can it be fixed, from the behind the scenes tour, they could EASILY make a station further round the boat ride. They could then space each section out better and have a passage way leading back to the TV room. The audio system needs properly sorting out and taking back to basics. Make it clear and crisp so you can hear it. Get all the effects working and add more effects and theming to the boat ride.

Also, and I know it won't ever ever ever happen, I love to put a rapids section in the boat ride a bit like this....
http://youtu.be/SwI6ArRMqGk

As for the lifts, they work great as they are. Just try and stop that lift (cannot remember which one) from squeeking like mad!

Sorry guys, it's all about Toyland Tours II;

You could easily scrap or reintegrate Charlie theming once the IP dies. Toys are always going to be popular; they just need updating. Merlin own Legoland, there must be some agreement that they could have a lego room, or whatever it is that's popular these days... Children would continue to be as enchanted now as they were 20 years ago, and nobody can really doubt that it'd prove more popular than Charlie...

And if they say no, I'll sneak in to the park, set it on fire and blame the Skyride.