• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

Drayton’s did not have any water effects or waves whatsoever when I rode it last year (as I said, I stepped off it bone dry), but I concede that things could have just not been working the day I rode it.

Granted, Thorpe Park’s rapids still has a waterfall and the one wave machine, but Rumba has always felt a bit more neutered than something like Congo for me anyway (the waterfall, for instance, is not nearly as forceful as Alton’s was, and it’s always felt like there aren’t nearly as many strong waves) and I believe there used to be quite a few water spray effects on Rumba that have not operated since the incident. Besides, I gather that Rumba Rapids needs the waterfall and the wave machine for safe operation.

I haven’t ridden Legoland’s, but I gather that it also used to have effects that were turned off or removed post-Splash Canyon, and I’ve heard it described in very similar terms to modern day Congo.

Most of the water effects were actually switched on this year.

Like I said earlier, HSE now have no restrictions in place for things that could make people move seat, aslong as the risks are managed properly. The HSE document posted a few pages back makes that absolutely clear.

I still hold a glimmer of hope for Congo River Rapids. The fact they have tried to get the waterfalls working is a clear sign that the restrictions placed a few years ago are now gone. The ball is very much in the hands of Alton Towers. I suspect most of the equipment, such as wave machines and whatnot are in a state of disrepair, like the waterfalls. Old mechanical pieces of equipment, sitting dormant for half a decade, was never going to end well.

I also echo the fact that I much preferred CRR over The Flume when it was at it's best, and found it to be the better ride.
See I preferred The Flume, to me it was much more of an adventure and I thought the drops packed a punch. Well, 2 of them did anyway. Controversially I actually really enjoyed the wooded section. It felt so secluded; almost as if you had left the park and were exploring the woods in tranquility. Maybe this is because I know CRR can be so much more than it is.

If CRR is on the chopping block in years to come, the area it would open up would be massive and could easily fit another headliner and a supporting flat or two.

Most of the water effects were actually switched on this year.

Like I said earlier, HSE now have no restrictions in place for things that could make people move seat, aslong as the risks are managed properly. The HSE document posted a few pages back makes that absolutely clear.

I still hold a glimmer of hope for Congo River Rapids. The fact they have tried to get the waterfalls working is a clear sign that the restrictions placed a few years ago are now gone. The ball is very much in the hands of Alton Towers. I suspect most of the equipment, such as wave machines and whatnot are in a state of disrepair, like the waterfalls. Old mechanical pieces of equipment, sitting dormant for half a decade, was never going to end well.

The issue you have is “risks are managed properly” I run risk assessments all the time and there isn’t really a risk that exists that doesn’t have the caveat of “ok if managed properly”. Trouble is sometimes you can’t find a management approach that will mitigate the risk.

It’s clear Towers intend to bring the waterfall back with the announcement prior to the falls, I doubt the wave machines will return though.

One thing I do think Merlin ended up shooting themselves in the foot with was buying the new rafts with the lower back rests, makes it far easier to fall out of than the high backed origional rafts.

The issue you have is “risks are managed properly” I run risk assessments all the time and there isn’t really a risk that exists that doesn’t have the caveat of “ok if managed properly”. Trouble is sometimes you can’t find a management approach that will mitigate the risk. I get that it's not "ok" so to speak. As the risk still exists. Just there is more things in place to mitigate the risk being risky..if that makes sense??

It’s clear Towers intend to bring the waterfall back with the announcement prior to the falls, I doubt the wave machines will return though.

One thing I do think Merlin ended up shooting themselves in the foot with was buying the new rafts with the lower back rests, makes it far easier to fall out of than the high backed origional rafts.

I agree with that. But, would you not say for example, take the waterfalls. Putting a spotter by them, placing cameras near them and installing speakers there. 3 things they have done. Is managing that specific risk of the waterfalls. If you did not do all of, or any one of those three things, it could be argued that the risk is not being managed properly. No? To me that is what managing a risk is, putting the processes and procedures in place to deal with the risk once it arises. If you chose to ignore the risk outright, you are completely not managing that risk to any extent.

I think they should absolutely look at buying new boats now if they plan on keeping the ride. The current boats have outlived the original. I'm sure it was 2003 that the yellow boats came in. It may have been 2004, but it was one of the two. So the new boats have been on the ride for atleast two years more than the older ones. Time for a change.

I don't think Congo will go. Huge area, and a capacity eater. Can't see Merlin wanting to redevelop that area in a hurry.

They need to make a decision. Get effects working again or give it a retheme to focus more on the themeing than effects.

I would say Thorpe Park Rapids are better now. At least you get some kind of waterfall in the bin bag tunnel and waves at the end.

Last edited:
If Sub Terra can come back from the dead after 8 years, the waterfalls on here can, right?
Perhaps wishful thinking after one side was turned on for about 10 minutes, but who knows. I keep hearing that the ride is a little bit better this year though, quite a few people in vlogs say it’s a little bit more choppy. I didn’t ride in April, but will perhaps be looking to on Sunday.

People are still willing to queue for it, it remains a popular family attraction, there is no need to make any decision whatsoever...
It can keep plodding on in the same fashion for years.
Whilst there is no other water ride at the park, people will continue to queue for it, especially on warmer days. Rapids rides remain popular in any theme park you find them, it is just a great pity that the HSE make it so difficult to operate them how they should be.

I must admit I am surprised that the waterfalls have not been turned back on yet.

Whilst there is no other water ride at the park, people will continue to queue for it, especially on warmer days. Rapids rides remain popular in any theme park you find them, it is just a great pity that the HSE make it so difficult to operate them how they should be.

I must admit I am surprised that the waterfalls have not been turned back on yet.

Battle Galleons would like a word, they surely hold the title as prime ride to cool off with on a hot day even if you have to work for it..

I wish the rapids were like Popeye at Universal Studios, but that’s never going to happen really is it sadly..

I wish the rapids were like Popeye at Universal Studios, but that’s never going to happen really is it sadly..
It won't ever be that, more importantly - it never was ! Even if the Alton Rapids were brought back to their peak condition, there would be quite a delta between that and something like Popeye.

There are times you can still get a good splash, but it’s a shame it’s mostly restricted to the section around the pizza and pasta. Kind of feel a bore fest apart from that, it’s a real missed opportunity, as I’m in the rapids over flume camp! They are a lot more fun when you get on a good one with a full group, it really seems to bring guests from other groups together.

For me, the best bit of the ride is the interaction with the Runaway Mine Train if you're lucky enough to be going through the tunnrl at the same time.
Not sure how bothered am I about the waterfalls returning. On one hand it would be nice but it's not exactly a huge game changer - a bit like the red water fall on Nemesis.

I've never really understood how people can say CRR is naff - possibly when comparing it to other rapids rides in other countries, but when comparing it to Thorpe's rapids, it's genuinely 100x better. You get a decent amount of speed, there are quite a few sections where you've got the potential to get wet, the interaction with Runaway Mine Train in the tunnel, and it's got an awesomely long layout!

I do remember days of it being more enjoyable when I was a kid, with the waterfalls switched on etc, but these days it's definitely not a bad ride. Anything switched back on or added would be an incredible bonus, though.