• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future Scaremazes - Ideas

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
After being slightly underwhelmed by the mazes at Alton Towers this year and then also experiencing Chessington's 'Vampire: The Haunting in the Hollows' and Warwick's Dungeon, I realised just how much of a difference actor interaction with some kind of tale has on the overall experience. As much as the Sanctuary had a clever tale and the fantastic Dr kelman, I still feel like it could have been so much better for a couple of different reasons.

Besides the fact that the finale felt like a rehashed TotT ending, but with less actors, and the effects taking it in turns to not work (leg tickers on one run-through failed to do anything and then the fireball didn't go off until we'd passed it on another occasion), if The Sanctuary had been more than just a hospital full of weirdos, I think it could have been much better.

A lot of this is down to my personal opinion, but simply walking though some dark rooms waiting for the odd actor to pop out and say hello does nothing for me. Obviously there has to be some kind of balance between being too scary and boring so that a wider range of guests can enjoy the attraction, but to me, it's much better when you're concentrating on an actor telling you a story and then something suddenly happening. A maze should do more than just rely on staff jumping out at you and an odd air blast or sound effect. If there could be more of a narrative with future mazes it'd be great.

So I'll get to the whole point of this topic now. If you were in charge of creating the mazes, what would you do? I'll post one of my own ideas and a more basic one and I hope that helps.

The Catacombs:

Something for press releases or posters, etc...
This maze is about the discovery of a network of tunnels which lead to an ancient crypt beneath Alton whose walls are lined with the skeletons of a slain convent. Preparation for the annual Scarefest mazes resulted in the disturbance of a secret entrance from the Towers down to the tombs. Now, the same Historians that helped to unlock the secrets of the Chained Oak and the hex placed upon the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury return to find out what truly lies at the end of these mysterious passageways. Will you volunteer to go with them?

Here's what I'd get an actor to say to set the scene for the maze:

Good day to you all. I am Professor [insert name which emanates intelligence, privilege and a sense of wisdom here], and this is my base of operations for the exploration into the Alton Catacombs. I gather that you’re all here to help us find what is at the end of this passageway ahead? Well before I tell you about the mission at hand, let me tell you about how my team ended up here again in the first place. As some of you may know, we played a part in unlocking the truth of behind the vault inside the Towers which holds a single branch from the Old Chained Oak Tree not far from the park. You all know about the curse placed upon Charles Talbot, 15th Earl of Shrewsbury, but that is not the only bizarre secret that this corner of Staffordshire has tried to hide from us.

It was about a month ago when I received a phone call from the Alton Towers Resort’s Archivist and the Restoration Site Manager. We’d been informed that preparation for the Scarefest mazes inside the Towers had unearthed a passageway which lead far, far below the ruins and possibly out, away from the park towards the village of Alton. Before we arrived at the park to investigate further, we carried out some research and uncovered the legend of the catacombs that I’ve just told you all.

At first we thought nothing of it as Staffordshire is known for the many mine shafts which are located throughout the County, and we knew from previous work at the Towers that there were hidden corridors and rooms not only here, but elsewhere in other nearby landmarks. It was only as we were making our way to the park that we received another call. This time it was regarding an employee who’d gone into the passageway by themselves to investigate and hadn’t returned. Not only that, but that part of the entrance to passageway had fallen-in and had blocking the way out.

Upon carrying out some brief research into this tunnel and enquiring with locals about what had been uncovered, we came across something rather extraordinary.
It is said that many centuries ago, here in the very heart of the Staffordshire Moorlands, a tale of religion, persecution, fear and murder unfolded; casting a great shadow across all of Alton. It was a time when Protestants were at war with the Catholic Church, and not far from this spot lies the remains of Monks and Nuns that were hunted down and slain for their beliefs.

Some say that the brothers and sisters of the victims buried their remains in these Catacombs. Here, their souls relive their horrific ordeal over and over; waiting in the shadows to gain revenge for having been left to defend themselves whilst others turned a blind-eye.

This legend would not have come about if it weren’t for reports from a small group of locals who had witnessed something very disturbing in the village, some 50 years ago. It became apparent that a network of ancient tunnels runs deep beneath this area. These had been uncovered after a group of boys from the local Church had volunteered to clear the paths around Churnet Valley. Progression was made and access across the valley became possible once again, but work suddenly stopped before all areas could be cleared completely. It was because an entrance into these catacombs had been discovered by one of the boys, and the Nuns ordered all work clearing the paths to come to an end. These tunnels could once be accessed with great ease via an assortment of old buildings throughout the area, including the Convent, Castle, and these very Towers, but for half a century, the only known access had been covered-up; an attempt to erase the tale from history and bring peace to the Valley once and for all.

And so we find ourselves here. It has only been a few moments since we cleared this passageway and now we’re faced with going down and into whatever is at the end of it. We invite you all to join us in our exploration into the unknown. We’re aware of the potential spirits which may very well lurk below and I must warn you, that if you attempt to go near them, touch them or interact with them in anyway, you may suffer the same fate as the member of staff who has gone before you. So for that reason, stay in a line, place your hand on the person in front of you and follow me closely. If you can’t abide by the rules then we will have to bring you out of. There can be no room for error now. Who knows what... or who... you and my colleagues might find down there?

This idea came about from last year's speculation over what 2012's new ride would be. Back over on TTF, I'd done a little researching after I'd seen people mention Catacombs and discovered something that may have made for a decent attraction.

Basically, there's supposed to be some catacombs located somewhere around Alton Towers (possibly closer to the village and Castle) which contains the remains of Nuns and / or Monks who were killed for their beliefs and were buried deep inside a chamber which is supposedly linked to a tunnel which then links all (or at least most) of the major buildings in the area.

Here's a little information that I came across:

Taken from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2006/03/03/chained_oak_legend_messageboard_archive_feature.shtml
“I went to Alton Castle school which had a ghost called the Grey Lady. She was regularly seen by the pupils. We went to the Chained Oak at least once a term. It was a good walk. The tree was a friendly old tree and the boys loved it. It had a presence about it. We also used to go to the Rock , Cromwell's Rock where Cromwell knocked down the old Norman castle. The Norman castle was built ontop a Saxon Castle. The Convent was VERY haunted. There are catacombs under it that the bones of old nuns were laid in after death. The Roman Road and the Battlefield on the outskirts of Alton was another good place to visit.”

And here's a two-part documentary detailing legends of Alton, including the Old Oak, King Ina's rock and the catacombs (1:26 in part 2)...

Part 1:
Ghosts , Myths and Legends of Alton Staffordshire : Part One

Part 2:
Ghosts , Myths and Legends of Alton Staffordshire : Part Two

So as you can see, I've taken this info and a few other comments and pages and used it for a Scaremaze idea.

I'll now explain what I'd want the maze to consist of...

Scene 1: Base of operations for archaeologists, where the professor talks to the group about the passage and the tale of the catacombs. A few howling sound effects and maybe a curtain being blown or an object being moved may work well here to interrupt the talk and keep people engaged. The professor then allows his trainee to guide you down into the unblocked passage.

This could be located in a tent before the entrance into the Towers which was used as the entrance for the Terror of the Towers this year as it would give the effect of going down beneath the Towers into a secret tunnel. There could be two separate tents and professors as this would allow for more than one group to enter the attraction and listen to the story before going into the maze.

Scene 2: The trainee guides the group down into the tunnel. It would look something like this:

creepy_cave_400.jpg

This tunnel would be wider though, and no scare actors would be present. Instead, this tunnel is designed to unnerve guests and trick them into thinking that there's something following them. It would be very dark, water could occasionally drip onto the heads of guests, it would be cold and an odd brick in the wall could move as guests pass. The room could smell damp too add to the creepy atmosphere.

Scene 3: A wider room than the previous tunnel. Some old shelves and stands littered with dusty artefacts could be in here (think along the lines of the scene from National Treasure where they find the shelves covered in dust which have scrolls on them before they stumble upon the oil that they light to reveal the whole room full of treasure and whatnot).

Behind these, one solitary scare actor could be stood at the very back of the room who would sink back into the shadows without saying or doing anything other than watching the guests and the Professor move through the room. They may look something like this:

2228_RE5_Concept_Art_Hooded_Figure_normal.jpg

Scene 4: A round, domed room with a crack in the top which allows a slit of light to cut through the room. This is where guests come into contact with the lost member of staff that I previously mentioned. The actor could be slumped against the wall with blood over their hands and a ripped uniform, cackling to themselves with a menacing grin. When the trainee asks them what they're doing, how they are and where the blood is from, the crazed actor could tell them that they heard the voices calling them down into the catacombs to help them. They could go on to say that the blood isn't their's and then run up to each guest, move past them, pointing to each one and say that "they're coming for you, and you and you... and you... ALL OF YOU". They could then proceed to grab the trainee and pull them away into the darkness, kicking and screaming.

Once the group is alone in the room, a stone passage way could open up and the sound of monks chanting could slowly get louder until a single pale figure lurches out from the opened room. They circle the group before stopping and telling everyone that if they want to get out of the room alive, they'll move quickly into the next scene (obviously not in those exact words :p ).

Scene 5: A rectangular shaped room with various passageways leading off from it. This is where all of the surrounding landmarks join before entering deeper to the catacombs.

3856853781_a059e94831_z.jpg

Here, the group would stand and wait for the correct door to be revealed so that the maze can continue. However, at random, a scare actor appears at each doorway and screams or roars and shakes the door blocking them from the group of guests until each door has an actor and the guests are surrounded. It is here that the one door in front of the group is unlocked by a ghostly Nun who tells the group to follow her quickly before the other angrier spirits are able to break down the doors and get to them.

Scene 6: This scene is decorated to look like a kind of safe house, with a few broken beds around the sides. Part of the ceiling would also have caved in to give the effect that the ancient tunnel is so deep underground and old that it has given to the immense weight of the ground above. The room is dark and a single candle light in the centre of the room is the only source of light. It could also be filled with mist / dry ice to make the candle light look more affective in the darkness.

DSC00780.JPG

The Nun explains that not all of her brothers and sisters down in the catacombs want to hurt the group and that they need to hurry before the other angrier spirits get them. But then she is interrupted as the actors in the previous room have broken through and are now hammering and snarling at the wooden door between them and the room that the guests are currently in. Suddenly a single blast of air blows the candle out and the guests are stood in a pitch black room for a few moments as the Nun who was with them disappears, leaving the guests vulnerable.

Then the door behind them creaks open slowly (allowing some light into the room). Now various actors jump out from the shadows at the guests and shout at them to go and find out what their surprise in the following room is.

Scene 7: The Finale - Part 1 The guests are moved quickly into a narrow tunnel and get locked-in. Here, they must walk forward to the end of the passage and make a turn into the catacombs which is lined with skeletons of dead Nuns and Monks. Lightning can be heard striking above their heads and a grate or two on the ceiling will occasionally flash with light (will also help to disguise the camera flash in a moment).

Warning, this next image is of the Capuchin Catacombs and contains real skeletons! I'll put it in a 'spoiler' section so that anyone who doesn't want to see them doesn't have to.

crypt-capuchin-catacombs_2944_600x450.jpg

This room starts of quite, but as the group moves through, a skeleton or two starts to rattle, move slightly or lean forward off the wall. Then, towards the end of this section of the finale, two of the corpses which stand against the wall jump forward at the guests and a camera takes their picture whilst they're chased away into the next section of the finale (disguised by a thunder/lightning sound effect).

Scene 8: The Finale - Part 2 This section of the catacombs is more similar to those found in Paris.

Warning, this next image is of the Parisian Catacombs and contains real skeletons! I'll put it in a 'spoiler' section so that anyone who doesn't want to see them doesn't have to.

Paris-Catacombs-path-through-the-bones.JPG

The walls are piled high with skulls and bones and the room is long and smells horrible (similar smell pots used to the ones in the mazes and Dungeons). As guests move forward, a sudden Th13teen style air blast (so, quite big and loud) and a flash of light from all around them attacks their senses and once that is over, hands start to reach out at them from the bones that line the walls. Here, guests would naturally pick-up their pace towards the end of the room.

The tunnel seems to be a dead-end. The lights go out and Sanctuary style leg-ticklers and water jets out from the sides of the walls hit the guests and roaring from behind gives the effect that they're trapped.

However, some skulls move away from the side to reveal a stone passageway out from the catacombs and into the open. A final actor (dressed as an archaeologist) says they heard you all screaming and got help to open the section of wall to help you escape from the demons inside. You all then get chased out into the open (where the photo booth is) by a wraith-looking actor and the archaeologist actor tells you to run as he/she will fend them off to let you all get to safety. Once everyone is out in the open, you hear a final scream from the archaeologist being taken by the demons to be sealed in the catacombs and you're finally free to pick up your photo and carry on as if nothing had happened!

:p

I have no idea how much that would cost to do and whether or not anyone would actually fin it scary or not, but that's just one idea for a maze with more actors interacting with guests with a bit more of a scary story behind it.

So does anyone else have any ideas for a future scaremaze? One other idea I thought of might be to make a more family friendly maze themed to the return of Doom & Sons. I'm sure that would be of interest to some of the older guests! :p

Right then, mine is nearing completion........

It may put you off your food, FOREVER.......

I shall edit this post later on with my completed plan and see what you think....

**EDIT**
First Draft.....Here goes

''Chicken''

ROOM 1: The guests walk into a room (Shown as where battery chickens are farmed and made to look like a HUGE shed ) and get forced to watch the chickens get caught and then they ARE told they are the chickens and are going through the process. They are let in on being chickens and they are going to get sent into the ‘process’ by scare actors wearing overalls covered in chicken entrails and blood.

ROOM 2: The people are now herded into another room with a giant cage in it (Which is suspended above them, out of sight) we can continue the process by showing other chickens being caged infront of them on GIANT screens – Projected normally or Charlie esque screens or TV’s can be used to show the cage from the eyes of a chicken. The giant cage will have lowered at this point so no need for bars to be projected on. The cage is then picked up in the eyes of the chicken and transported in a back of a lorry with hundreds of other cages.The noise should be deafening. It can then arrive at the slaughterhouse. The Cage room will have a Charlie floor in it to convey the feelings of the floor moving as the cage moves and the Chickens continue the process

ROOM 3: The guests move into another room, the slaughter house…….. They are then restrained by the ankles by the Actors, dressed in more gore splattered overalls and ‘suspended’ from a running system up above (Think Hex or Duel Trommel style illusion of movement/being upside down)… and the journey continues on……

ROOM 4…The system carries them into another room which is labelled, clearly to guests as the room in which the chickens get their throats slit….A illusion of a blade is spinning and there is screens in front which show other chickens to be getting cut at the neck. The guests will be spaced as such that they cannot see another guest in front of them, to not ruin the illusion

The guests ‘Luckily’ or ‘Unluckily’ depends on your thinking, miss the blade and continue to (ROOM 5) the room where the 'boiling' water (Used to strip chickens of feathers) is sprayed and then the system turns them ‘back’ to the correct way up and frees the binds on their legs. They are then directed by a sign to walk out and under the sign is a message which reads ‘’ Leave whilst you can, Chicken’’ and exit to the maze.

First draft....... :D

Poison Tom 96 said:
Right then, mine is nearing completion........

It may put you off your food, FOREVER.......

I shall edit this post later on with my completed plan and see what you think....

**EDIT**
First Draft.....Here goes

''Chicken''

ROOM 1: The guests walk into a room (Shown as where battery chickens are farmed and made to look like a HUGE shed ) and get forced to watch the chickens get caught and then they ARE told they are the chickens and are going through the process. They are let in on being chickens and they are going to get sent into the ‘process’ by scare actors wearing overalls covered in chicken entrails and blood.

ROOM 2: The people are now herded into another room with a giant cage in it (Which is suspended above them, out of sight) we can continue the process by showing other chickens being caged infront of them on GIANT screens – Projected normally or Charlie esque screens or TV’s can be used to show the cage from the eyes of a chicken. The giant cage will have lowered at this point so no need for bars to be projected on. The cage is then picked up in the eyes of the chicken and transported in a back of a lorry with hundreds of other cages.The noise should be deafening. It can then arrive at the slaughterhouse. The Cage room will have a Charlie floor in it to convey the feelings of the floor moving as the cage moves and the Chickens continue the process

ROOM 3: The guests move into another room, the slaughter house…….. They are then restrained by the ankles by the Actors, dressed in more gore splattered overalls and ‘suspended’ from a running system up above (Think Hex or Duel Trommel style illusion of movement/being upside down)… and the journey continues on……

ROOM 4…The system carries them into another room which is labelled, clearly to guests as the room in which the chickens get their throats slit….A illusion of a blade is spinning and there is screens in front which show other chickens to be getting cut at the neck. The guests will be spaced as such that they cannot see another guest in front of them, to not ruin the illusion

The guests ‘Luckily’ or ‘Unluckily’ depends on your thinking, miss the blade and continue to (ROOM 5) the room where the 'boiling' water (Used to strip chickens of feathers) is sprayed and then the system turns them ‘back’ to the correct way up and frees the binds on their legs. They are then directed by a sign to walk out and under the sign is a message which reads ‘’ Leave whilst you can, Chicken’’ and exit to the maze.

First draft....... :D

I think the only people who would find this scary are PETA members :p

Just been talking to some friends and we would add fans to make peoples hair go up (which in the illusion would be down) and air blasts every time the 'blade' spins past.....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Haha, Tom, you're mental! :p

Oh, and I think Danny said he had an idea for a maze as well.

:)

BigAl, when I buy my huge theme park with the millions I make from selling erotic literature, you are so hired. ;)

How many detailed plans and ideas do you have? :)

Erotic literatu... never mind. :p

Haha, thanks! My plans are in my head and whatever you can find on here or in the remains of old TTF. :p

Do you have any ideas for mazes, NastyPasty?

:)

302782222781e0658af.jpg

My maze is inspired (loosely) by a novel by Franz Kafka, 'The Trial', but it should make sense without having read the book. :)

The Trial
An evolution of the scaremaze

Scene 1
Before you enter the maze, you meet the author of the novel, Kafka. He is at his desk when you enter the pre-show, and he is writing the novel. He explains that the audience themselves (i.e. you) are him visualising the plot from his desk, you are conjured up by his imagination as a construct to help him write. You experience the maze through the eyes of the novel's main character, Josef K.

Kafka talks about some of the themes without giving away any of the plot, talking as if he is conversing with his conscience. He also tells you about his personal life, and his tortured relationship with his father. He asks you not to be scared, and to excuse any mistakes or inconsistencies in the current draft that you're about to experience in person. He reminds you that as they are merely fantasy, you should not touch the actors, or the entire experience will dissolve.

Scene 2
You enter a Bavarian bedroom around the turn of the century. It's extremely sparse, with just a bed, a wooden desk, a chair and a small bookshelf. Kafka closes the door behind you, leaving the group stranded in the centre of the room. You stand for a minute, as absolutely nothing happens. Then you hear a horrible sound, a synthesised screaming, a wailing drone quietly from far away. It becomes louder and louder, like a chainsaw with the pitch constantly increasing. As it just about becomes unbearable, it dies suddenly, and the lights switch off, plunging the room into absolute darkness. After a few moments of silence, the two doors to the room are violently smashed down, and four shouting riot police with torches surround the group. They lead you through the second door.

Kafka001.jpg

Scene 3
The police lead you into an interrogation room. It's pitch black, except for a single lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. You cannot see the walls. Each member of the group (5) is sat on one side of a desk, with a grotesque looking police constable sat on the other. His features are not entirely human, animalistic almost. He aggressively questions the group about a supposed 'crime' that has been committed, though it's not clear exactly what you are charged with. He uses various 'stressing' techniques, pacing around the room and screaming in people's ears. His speech becomes more and more surreal and nonsensical, and he starts to laugh like a pig, snorting. Each member of the group is hooded one-by-one as their answers are deemed unacceptable, and led out of the room.

Scene 4
You are unhooded, and a door is slammed shut behind you. The group finds themselves in a dark alleyway at night, somewhere in a German town. As you walk down the alleyway, various shadowy figures emerge from the darkness, cackling or snarling, in a traditional scaremaze fashion. An old woman dressed in a shoal approaches you with a pram. She asks you to look inside the pram, and in it is a dead calf. At the end of the alleyway, you approach a doorway with the word "COURT" written above it, and knock on the door, as instructed by a sign.

orson-welles-the-trial-kafka-14.jpg

Scene 5
You enter the court building. You begin down another long corridor, with the lights flickering, and the walls covered in minuscule writing. Sitting against the wall on the floor are half a dozen actors, spaced out down the corridor. Each one looks progressively closer to death, sicker, and older. Each of them is progressively more deranged. The first simply mutters gibberish as you pass. But more so, they begin to accuse you of being conspirators with the court that has persecuted them. They beg you to help them with their case. They become angry at your response calling you a thief, a murderer. They become more hysterical, picking out individual members of the group and reeling off a list of the crimes that the lunatic suspects they've committed - they call you a serial killer, a paedophile, a war criminal, a child killer. They accuse you of being a traitor to the people and call for your execution in increasingly grizzly ways - hanging, electrocution, starvation... even scaphism.

Scene 6
You enter the court room (imagine the courtroom scene in the Dungeons). You find yourself in the defendants dock, with a judge high above you. There are a couple of barristers in the prosecution area. You endure a short show-trial, during which the judge and the barristers describe all your moral ills, and denounce your contempt for the proceedings. Again, the speech of all characters becomes increasingly bizarre, and they each impersonate noises made by different animals. Music is playing, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto. The barristers become less and less professional, and start hurling abuse at the guests. The judge sentences you to death.

Scene 7
You're led out of the small courtroom by the barristers, and into a stone chamber, like a dungeon. It's empty, and there doesn't seem to be any escape route. Suddenly, the lights die completely again as you stand in the middle of the room. When the lights begin to rise again, you realise you are surrounded by four men in surgical masks, with rifles pointed straight at your head at point-blank range. One for each guest. You scream in terror, and the lights plunge you into darkness again. You hear a loud click. A few seconds later is the absolute climax of the maze. A gunshot played at deafening volume, at the same time as a massive explosion from air cannons positioned around the room. The biggest scare in any maze, ever.

You leave, dazed, upset and confused.

Hahaha, that sounds epic! The hoods might not go down so well with the majority of guests at Alton but I love the sound of the rifle finale! Very surreal and twisted! How would you be guided out of the maze? Would the walls around the guests change whilst it was all dark to make it look like they've not moved or would the lights go back on as if nothing had happened in that scene?

How many actors would your mazes require? I think I count between 15 and 20 for mine, depending on how big Scene 5 would be and whether the actors from that could move down to scene 8 to reach out through the walls to reduce costs of having twice the amount of actors for those two scenes.