• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

I do wonder how Galactica will cope without Nemesis in operation next year. Galactica often has the bigger queue than Nemesis, but I wonder how it’ll go next year, as in, I wonder how much worse it will be. The Blade will hopefully still be around, and I’d imagine Funk’n’Fly will be as well

They have certainly built some headaches, but inherited a number of them too. In the UK, Vampire and Colossus are high on the list, Nemesis is obviously the first to 'come of age', although you can certainly argue they have had 15 years service out of it in their ownership.

Slammer was a money pit which they eventually gave up on. Enterprise at Alton is in a similar bucket, albeit on a slightly smaller and more mainstream scale.

Further afield, Sequoia, Colossos, Magic Mountain etc have also had their challenges and to their credit, they have responded on a case by case basis as appropriate.

Merlin don't deserve credit on a number of fronts, but if you look across the portfolio, I think rides are generally looked after to a good standard from an engineering perspective, I've never felt unsafe. However, cosmetically that is patchy, to be polite.

Take Vampire, it might look like something from an urbexing location, but they have been over every inch of that structure for NDT and the like. It's just a shame they didn't take a brush to it whilst they were at it.

Personally for me it would make sense to close Galatica, retheme it to the plans, expand that area a little with one or two flats, shops, game stalls etc
I get what you’re saying, but I really don’t think they can afford to have 2 major coasters down and out for a season

They have certainly built some headaches, but inherited a number of them too. In the UK, Vampire and Colossus are high on the list, Nemesis is obviously the first to 'come of age', although you can certainly argue they have had 15 years service out of it in their ownership.

Slammer was a money pit which they eventually gave up on. Enterprise at Alton is in a similar bucket, albeit on a slightly smaller and more mainstream scale.

Further afield, Sequoia, Colossos, Magic Mountain etc have also had their challenges and to their credit, they have responded on a case by case basis as appropriate.

Merlin don't deserve credit on a number of fronts, but if you look across the portfolio, I think rides are generally looked after to a good standard from an engineering perspective, I've never felt unsafe. However, cosmetically that is patchy, to be polite.

Diplomatically put

In fairness the rides are safe. The Smiler was a clear freak one off.

It's always 'that'll do' with Merlin

Im sure rebrandibg it back to air would be fairly easy and still very marketable. Remember how well Airs Shop sold off from Airs Merchandise? That alone proves that Air as a theme is still a very marketable attraction.

I did a few concept arts earlier on this forum if air was to come back, but have the shop redone and have some additional theming around the ride. Not all of them are done yet, but when they are, I'll upload them.

Im sure rebrandibg it back to air would be fairly easy and still very marketable. Remember how well Airs Shop sold off from Airs Merchandise? That alone proves that Air as a theme is still a very marketable attraction.

I did a few concept arts earlier on this forum if air was to come back, but have the shop redone and have some additional theming around the ride. Not all of them are done yet, but when they are, I'll upload them.
It is, it’s a very strong brand as I’ve said before in this thread, but Merlin’s view is if it hasn’t got a marketable aspect of the ride to boost gate numbers or a hefty sponsorship then there’s no way it will get sign off.

Spinball was only reverted because SEGA sponsorship was up and it was cheaper to revert to Spinball Whizzer than the other options.

Remember how well Airs Shop sold off from Airs Merchandise? That alone proves that Air as a theme is still a very marketable attraction.

That'll also be because it was all going, and fans wanted whatever Air related material they could get their hands on.

In the concious of those who aren't in the know, it's probably still Air - heck, in my mind it still is. The thing is - changing it back would be Merlin admitting a mistake, which isn't something they'd enjoy doing.

That'll also be because it was all going, and fans wanted whatever Air related material they could get their hands on.

In the concious of those who aren't in the know, it's probably still Air - heck, in my mind it still is. The thing is - changing it back would be Merlin admitting a mistake, which isn't something they'd enjoy doing.
Sonic Spinball?

Nemesis Sub Terra?

Could Cookoo Land?

I get next to no enjoyment from Air. I think the whole concept of it has aged worse than any of the SW's. But then looking at it's popularity I don't think my views on it are shared by the general populace. Going back to it's old theme would be a complete waste of money and thus pointless. Like HH, the ship has sailed. I'd like to see them do something new with it to spice it up, a new theme with some near misses and effects and stuff. I just find it so boring, especially after riding FLY which (although I don't like the leg restraints) doesn't have a dull moment throughout.

FLY really does date Galactica but it is an enjoyable ride in a different way, if clunky. It's worth keeping for now.
Galacticair is old and dated though

It was a prototype to a model that hasn't really hit the heights expected in my opinion.

Air was never going to be a thriller but would have been made by the themeing experience, which never happened.

Its a good ride still, ruined by the galactica retheme but I wouldn't be sad if it went now , unlike Oblivion and Nemesis. If they removed it for a huge RMC thriller or a large scale intamin blitz I'd take it.

Ripped out for an RMC, followed a few years later by installing a Vekoma flying coaster would be interesting

Being significantly less forceful than the other b&ms, I'm going to guess it still has a lot of working life in it.

Going back to it's old theme would be a complete waste of money and thus pointless. Like HH, the ship has sailed.

I think 'reverting' to the Air theme would be worth while, if they actually themed it when they did. The old theme was nothing much more than a name, a soundtrack and a style anyway. Calling it Air and giving it something along the lines of the original plans could add a lot of value and not actually be a step backwards. I'd agree that just calling it Air again with a lick of paint would be pretty pointless.

Being significantly less forceful than the other b&ms, I'm going to guess it still has a lot of working life in it.

I think 'reverting' to the Air theme would be worth while, if they actually themed it when they did. The old theme was nothing much more than a name, a soundtrack and a style anyway. Calling it Air and giving it something along the lines of the original plans could add a lot of value and not actually be a step backwards. I'd agree that just calling it Air again with a lick of paint would be pretty pointless.
I think the Documentry I showed earlier on here also Shows some indeed concept art and models they made for it. There was supposed to be a lake over the final turn that can be seen by the car park. I'd love to finish off my concept art and try and illustrate those unused concepts, try and flesh them out more than Foam Scultps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-170158_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-170158_YouTube.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220806-170219_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-170219_YouTube.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220806-170225_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-170225_YouTube.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220806-171330_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-171330_YouTube.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 38
I remember those models weren't they in Towers Street trading

Yes the model was on display in Towers Trading during the construction period in 2001. I believe it featured some mini soldiers that were removed after 9/11 leading to lots of speculation that the theme had been altered last minute. But in the end they were just supposed to represent ‘mini hero’s’ to tie in with the fact Air was to be a ‘hero’ versus Nemesis and Oblivion as ‘villains’.