• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

Earlier over in the Nemesis thread, I had an interesting thought about Galactica that I thought might be worthy of discussion: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threa...osed-for-retracking.5260/page-157#post-394227

My thought was that with Galactica’s VR (the pivotal reason for the space retheme) now being a thing of the past and the ride being shown to look somewhat worse for wear towards the end of 2022, I did wonder whether Galactica might receive a retheme or any kind of work to go alongside the Nemesis retrack.

Forbidden Valley will be in the limelight again in 2024 with Nemesis reopening, and based on their past form, I’d be surprised if Merlin didn’t take the opportunity to do some work to the rest of Forbidden Valley. I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised if this did include some form of Galactica retheme to fit in with the new story of Nemesis. Merlin has form for retheming existing rides to fit in with new attractions (for instance, Rita did receive a light retheme to fit into Dark Forest), and if the work was thrown in alongside the Nemesis retrack project, it would negate the issue of a Galactica retheme not being marketable (which would be an issue if the project were standalone).

What do you guys think? I moved my tangent over here to try and keep the Nemesis thread on-topic.
I believe that it will not, although I feel like that they should theme it with the Nemesis story. There is so far no evidence to suggest anything is going on with Galactica.

I can't see them re theming Galactica to tie in with Nemesis 2.0. My guess is it will be left as it is. I personally don't see an issue with it staying as it is, it ties in quite nice with the RCC in that it's not in your face. What I would like is some extra seating and a pop up bar in the Plaza for when it's rammed and you fancy a cold pint without queuing to get in RCC.

If they were to retheme Galactica, it would likely be painted in yet more black or grey colours which while it would likely blend in better with FV, it would mean nearly all the major coasters are painted in dull colours so I don't know if this would be a good or bad thing for the ride.

I've said this many times before and I know this'll never happen but I'd rather wish that they split FV in two to have Galactica have its own themed area which has it restored back to Air and the original Oasis theme finally put into place. Add a new area near the helix and use half of the car park behind for the new area with a flat ride to go into the area and thus you have a new land the park can market which can be a mirror image of FV in being a more gentle and relaxing theme, a theme that for the park would be very welcome to balance out all the dark themes.

I think, if Galactica were to be rethemed, perhaps the track colour could become white to represent the smoke trail being left behind by the 'aircraft' if we are going with the Phalanx attack on Nemesis theme?

Last edited:
Tying one ride into the Phalanx is bad enough, never mind three. Talk about lack of imagination 😂

I suspect the only thing they'll do to Galactica is jet wash the track, but even that's not a given.

Make it the Phalanx attack plane against Nemesis, paint the track black to match.

So with Nemesis being shut this year, how do we think Galactica will hold up with the crowd demand? The only major ride in FV so is it likely to be a difficult year for Galactica. I'm personally expecting it to struggle with queues more than normal

So with Nemesis being shut this year, how do we think Galactica will hold up with the crowd demand? The only major ride in FV so is it likely to be a difficult year for Galactica. I'm personally expecting it to struggle with queues more than normal
Alternatively, there might be less traffic in FV in general. It’s at the back of the park, so it’s an area where, for the most part, people who are there are there to ride a particular attraction or group of attractions. It’s not an area where you’ll get much passing traffic.

With Nemesis being closed, the area may have less of a draw in general. Galactica will undeniably still draw people down there, but one coaster is arguably less of a compelling case to go down there than two.

Large numbers of punters will first discover nemesis' closure when they get to the new fence.
Large numbers of punters are not thoosies!
Galactica will struggle this year, it struggles most years!

Large numbers of punters will first discover nemesis' closure when they get to the new fence.
Large numbers of punters are not thoosies!
Galactica will struggle this year, it struggles most years!
Surely Nemesis won’t be on the map (or app), though? So wouldn’t people first discover it when they look either at the map or on their phone, thus meaning that they wouldn’t go down there in the first place unless they wanted to ride Galactica, The Blade or Funk’n’Fly?

There is no map anymore, and many people simply turn up and wander clockwise or anticlockwise, especially early in the day.
I thought they still did paper maps? Or did I imagine that?

It’s a shame if not, if only because I personally quite enjoy collecting theme park maps…

Come to think of it, I’m not sure if I’ve had a new Alton Towers map since before COVID, so maybe they aren’t doing them anymore… I’ll have to check when I go at the end of the month.

I thought they still did paper maps? Or did I imagine that?

It’s a shame if not, if only because I personally quite enjoy collecting theme park maps…

Come to think of it, I’m not sure if I’ve had a new Alton Towers map since before COVID, so maybe they aren’t doing them anymore… I’ll have to check when I go at the end of the month.
They do have a map on their website. Not sure if you can get it on park. Most people will use the map on the app now anyway its more realistic than the paper ones

They do have a map on their website. Not sure if you can get it on park. Most people will use the map on the app now anyway its more realistic than the paper ones
Its a bit of a shame they don't have paper maps at the park, the app only has 500k downloads, compare that to the millions of visitors they get annually. I used to get lost really easily on my first couple of visits, and I wasn't aware that the app wasn even a thing then.

When I went to Towers back in July after being away for so long, the lack of paper maps was a bit of culture shock to be fair...mind you going to Towers is always a bit of culture shock in general.

The App I do like regarding times and that but it would be nice to have a paper map.

Never been a map user. Obviously not for UK park as I know my way around anyway but when visiting new parks on the continent I like the idea of being a bit lost and finding some things I usually wouldn’t head to. It adds to the fun! But I do have a couple maps that I took for souvenirs. As far as galactica goes though, I can’t see it being much different, people know about it and the vast majority of the public know where it is too, it may get busier in the mornings and near closing as the entrance/exit is used.