• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica's Future

What would you like to see happen to Galactica?

• Keep the Galactica Theme

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • An improved version of air

Votes: 82 40.6%
  • A new theme to tie in with Nemesis and The Phalanx

Votes: 103 51.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters
A ride like mahuka would make a good replacement, or if they want to expand into the car park, (mahuka) is also only 18m which is convenient

Whilst I do like the ride design and layout, this is Merlin we're talking about!
They won't accept anything for a Secret Weapon unless it's a 'World's First' or a prototype coaster design.

I mean, if Merlin wanted to be creative but retain the flying coaster idea, maybe look at something like F.L.Y from Phantasialand from Germany! A LSM launched flying coaster, imagine if they did do something like that to spice things up!
(Heck, just look at this POV from F.L.Y! Now the question is, could something like this work in AT?
)

Last edited:
Towers need a people eater now something like voltron whilst similar in style to the smiler would be a great idea for towers with a similar capacity would be amazing

Whilst I do like the ride design and layout, this is Merlin we're talking about!
They won't accept anything for a Secret Weapon unless it's a 'World's First' or a prototype coaster design.

I mean, if Merlin wanted to be creative but retain the flying coaster idea, maybe look at something like F.L.Y from Phantasialand from Germany! A LSM launched flying coaster, imagine if they did do something like that to spice things up!
(Heck, just look at this POV from F.L.Y! Now the question is, could something like this work in AT?
)

Wickerman wasn't a worlds first or a prototype but was an SW. The marketing team did decide to try and say it was the world's first with fire and wood. But it would have been pretty clear when the contracts were signed, that the ride itself was nothing first or new. Tried and tested technology, so the precedent has been set for Secret Weapons to not need to be prototypes or world's first, as it was done in the form of Wickerman, what a great success it was too, proving to Merlin even more that they don't need to be world's firsts or prototype. That thinking was also under the old Merlin. Merlin of today is a very different beast. But even so, Wickerman was under old Merlin.

That said, those rides look far too low capacity for Towers.

I remember a Conference with John wardley at towers , regarding alton ever getting a woodie as the public seem to think they are not safe, he said he would eat his hat if it ever happened ….

Wickerman wasn't a worlds first or a prototype but was an SW. The marketing team did decide to try and say it was the world's first with fire and wood. But it would have been pretty clear when the contracts were signed, that the ride itself was nothing first or new. Tried and tested technology, so the precedent has been set for Secret Weapons to not need to be prototypes or world's first, as it was done in the form of Wickerman, what a great success it was too, proving to Merlin even more that they don't need to be world's firsts or prototype. That thinking was also under the old Merlin. Merlin of today is a very different beast. But even so, Wickerman was under old Merlin.

That said, those rides look far too low capacity for Towers.
Good point, but as I said prior, AT love to try and make every rollercoaster they have to have a gimmick or something to make it a stand-out and unique whilst obeying the tree height limit we all know AT has to follow.

Good point, but as I said prior, AT love to try and make every rollercoaster they have to have a gimmick or something to make it a stand-out and unique whilst obeying the tree height limit we all know AT has to follow.

I do agree to a point. Although Nemesis re track, was a cost almost the same as new rollercoaster outright. I am certain under the Merlin of 10 years ago, this would never had happened. As they couldn't market it for the above mentioned first gimmicks. It is only since Wickerman, then going private, that it seems Merlin are now loosening this. I hope so, because the attractions that have not adhered to this silly rule, have turned out so much better.

Last edited:
I remember a Conference with John wardley at towers , regarding alton ever getting a woodie as the public seem to think they are not safe, he said he would eat his hat if it ever happened ….
But something happened that caused more scared type people to then think steel coasters aren’t safe too. AT were then in a position where there was no reason not to go for a woodie.

But something happened that caused more scared type people to then think steel coasters aren’t safe too. AT were then in a position where there was no reason not to go for a woodie.
I'm not really sure joe public see it that way - a roller coaster crash, any roller coaster crash, is a roller coaster crash. They don't see a steel coaster crash and think "ah but wooden ones will be OK".

Everyone and their snotty nephew thinks the woodies at the Beach are death traps, because they look like, er, death traps.

Sadly, it is safer and easier to do timber checks on unpainted wood, paint can hide horrors of rot, bare wood/unrepainted wood shows rot quicker and easier.
So mandy saves a bomb in the interests of safety.

I'm not really sure joe public see it that way - a roller coaster crash, any roller coaster crash, is a roller coaster crash. They don't see a steel coaster crash and think "ah but wooden ones will be OK".
That’s not what I said. It’s that John Wardley’s point was that a wooden coaster wouldn’t be built by Tussauds/Merlin as the perception is they are unsafe. But once there was an incident on a steel coaster the sort of people who perceived wooden coasters to be unsafe would see ALL coasters as unsafe. Therefore the reason not to build one is no longer a problem.

It’s not that people would see a wooden coaster as OK, it’s the riders who thought the rickety wooden coaster is unsafe now see everything unsafe so why not build wood.

That’s not what I said. It’s that John Wardley’s point was that a wooden coaster wouldn’t be built by Tussauds/Merlin as the perception is they are unsafe. But once there was an incident on a steel coaster the sort of people who perceived wooden coasters to be unsafe would see ALL coasters as unsafe. Therefore the reason not to build one is no longer a problem.

It’s not that people would see a wooden coaster as OK, it’s the riders who thought the rickety wooden coaster is unsafe now see everything unsafe so why not build wood.
Still not sure I follow your logic.

A roller coaster crash is a roller coaster crash. The perception of the safety of wooden roller coasters was affected as much as any other.

Still not sure I follow your logic.

A roller coaster crash is a roller coaster crash. The perception of the safety of wooden roller coasters was affected as much as any other.
But the people who already considered wooden less safe might have gone in a steel coaster. Now if they feel that all coasters are unsafe they just won’t go to the park at all. Therefore why not build a wooden coaster for all the people who will still attend the park.

Basically the logic is just that the original thinking John Wardley had from Tussauds/Merlin could be thrown away as the overall goalposts moved.

My biggest complaint is that it’s the world’s first space themed coaster with zero space theming.

Surely they did not market it as that? I mean, there are many Space Mountains world wide, even Black Hole in the same park was space themed, Blackpool had Space Invader, there have been and is many space themed coasters. I guess they were letting the VR do all the heavy lifting.

Unless they were doing it on the cheap, space is full of well, nothing, so adding nothing space themed is correct when clutching on straws I guess.

Surely they did not market it as that? I mean, there are many Space Mountains world wide, even Black Hole in the same park was space themed, Blackpool had Space Invader, there have been and is many space themed coasters. I guess they were letting the VR do all the heavy lifting.

Unless they were doing it on the cheap, space is full of well, nothing, so adding nothing space themed is correct when clutching on straws I guess.

They didn’t market it like that no, I was messing.

It’s just always bugged me, as soon as they took the VR away the theme made zero sense.

Looking on literally, all rollercoasters make zero sense though.
Get on, burn energy needlessly, move round at speed, get off where you got on again.
Tick box on spreadsheet.
It is only fun because some people say it is.
Some people say the whole hobby is crazy.

I liked air, it just needed finishing.
The vr change was crap.