• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gardaland

I think I'm still being grated far too much by the use of 'the ultimate rollercoaster' tagline.

A new photo from the webcame showing off the progress on theming:

image_10230.jpg

I spy some satellite related theming! :p

:)

To be fair I think the theming is far from finished. Looks like the theming for this may have some half decent potential.

Found the following press release from Gradaland on CoasterForce:

Gardaland said:
"Oblivion - The Black Hole” the new vertical plunge rollercoaster the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe

Gardaland unveils the theming, the interactive path and the mysterious space-time tunnel

Everything is almost ready at Gardaland. Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe is standing tall, with its magnitude, its vertical plunge and the dazzling white of its tracks, on all the Park’s attractions.

But if the track has already been completed, it’s the details of the theming that are now attracting attention, while waiting to find out what this attraction will offer in terms of emotions. Along with the vertical plunge fall inside a mysterious black hole and the incredible inversions, the added value of this sensational attraction is the theming of the area and the richness of the special effects: from the interactive path leading up to the entrance of the attraction, to the boarding stage and to the out and out rollercoaster experience. It is going to be an extraordinary, incredible journey that will ideally cross a mysterious space-time conduct, a link between planet Earth and another space and time.

The white colour of the track- a very original choice for a rollercoaster – was chosen to harmonise the attraction with the vast themed area – which also includes Space Vertigo and Flying Island – and to offer an atmosphere NASA style. The fearless ones who will dart aboard lightning-fast trains, devised and made to resemble space vehicles, experiencing a journey like the ones we dream of as children. And who has never dreamt, even if for just a second, of being an astronaut? Who knows, maybe a future Samantha Cristoforetti, the young Italian astronaut, will also climb aboard Oblivion - The Black Hole, ready for the fantastic emotion of a “launch” into space…

But on top of the space inspiration, Guests will be attracted by the crux of the Oblivion experience - The Black Hole: a hole with enough gravitational field to attract and suck in everything. Besides the mouth of the tunnel there will indeed be unusual elements, completely distorted and sucked in; it will feel like being “dragged” inside the conduct, almost like being “swallowed”: part of the roof of a saloon, a windmill, a little cart, a water tank, 3 TV aerials and the van of a TV crew which had arrived to document the strange phenomenon…

Everything will appear deformed by the powerful gravitational forced generated by the “black hole”.

But this is not all, because another captivating characteristic of Oblivion - The Black Hole is the interactive path preceding the boarding of the new rollercoaster. The waiting line will be, in itself, an unforgettable experience! The path will indeed start inside a technological training centre where, through advanced software that enrich sensorial perception – you will be able to immerse yourself in the adrenaline-filled experience that leads to the train. Special effects, sounds, light games and innumerable new gen LED screens will open the way to the overwhelming and sensational journey. But will everybody be capable to climb aboard? To erase any doubt, the fearless visitors, during the wait, will face tests and pass trials; a voice will guide them through each required action. A mission in perfect NASA style: from the feeling of being launched inside a tunnel, to the balance test, to the mind-blowing 3D optical effects and the out and out boarding, inside the station. The Oblivion - The Black Hole shuttle is ready to welcome all passengers! Then, between sky and earth, among twists, turns and unexpected obstacles the extraordinary and exciting rollercoaster will bring the most fearless passengers to fall from vertiginous height, at mad speed, in a vertical plunge into oblivion, through the mysterious space-time conduct on the way to a new dimension. And contact with reality will inexplicably vanish…

“We began from the concept one year ago, moving from a planning-creative phase to the realisation of important sculptures that we are currently positioning in the area. Specific professional positions where needed for this project: architects, planners, sculptors audio/video technicians, carpenters, painters, experts in iron manufacturing… a coral organisation of many companies for the development of this great new area” - says Gianluca Ghedini, Gardaland Division Creative Manager.

42.5 metres high, 87 degrees of inclination and a speed of 100km/h: those are the numbers of Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe.

Only for true daredevils, from 140 cm in height to 99 years of age!

And the following images:

B-tFWxjW4AEJP9A.jpg

B-tFXldWoAIygkR.jpg

B-tFBa4WkAAtztJ.jpg

Certainly some interesting theming on show. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how it looks once it's all finish, it might be half decent! We know with Mammut and Raptor that they can do very good theming.

Finally something original :)

That is kind of cool. It's a shame really it's opening the same year as Baron which will no doubt push the theme and story even further.

That theming around the drop is superb.

They haven't just bought that from a scrapyard - that's taken time to craft.

I think the theming and general ride area looks very impressive! The white track really stands out amongst the landscaping. A lot better than I was expecting.

Does anybody know why the B&M Dive Machines no longer use the two rows of eight style trains used on Oblivion? Everything seems to be three rows of six now?

The white colour of the track- a very original choice for a rollercoaster – was chosen to harmonise the attraction with the vast themed area – which also includes Space Vertigo and Flying Island – and to offer an atmosphere NASA style.

I thought they were forced to use white track? :p

Last edited:
They were. This is just a desperate attempt to retcon a reason why a space themed ride has white track. Remember, the concepts and early advertising showed it black. ;)

A lot of people only wrote this off because of Baron opening and because this is Merlin. The use of the 'Oblivion' also doesn't help - I mean this ride is themed nothing like Oblivion.

Merlin can deliver well themed projects and Gardaland often benefit from this the most. Although the park is a mish mash of clashing themes overall...!

I think this looks great and am confident that the on coaster theming will actually better that of Baron.

The theming around the hole looks great, completely unique and different...

CCTV theming </3

I'm intrigued about the queueline in the tent, as according to the website it's meant to feature just a few things of the interactive variety... Hopefully I can find out when I visit next month...

I won't lie, that van has me rubbing my eyes and wondering if it's real or photoshopped. But what's with all the cameras on the entrance? Was ripping off two X Sector rides not enough, so they had to throw in a bit of Smiler as well?
Does Gardaland have much trouble with queuejumpers? If so those fences are going to be a problem.

I love the entrance arch with the cameras, much nicer than The Smiler's entrance - although I don't like the white wall around it. The van and the other theming elements around the hole are brilliant.
I won't lie, that van has me rubbing my eyes and wondering if it's real or photoshopped. But what's with all the cameras on the entrance? Was ripping off two X Sector rides not enough, so they had to throw in a bit of Smiler as well?
Does Gardaland have much trouble with queuejumpers? If so those fences are going to be a problem.
They are the same queue line fences as Oblivion at Alton Towers.