• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gender Map

Just because animals have developed roles for survival does not immediately mean that people have a hardwired psychological gender. Anyway, what society has dreamt up as 'feminine and masculine character traits' are found in people of all kinds as it has nout all to do with pre-determined psychological genders, and everything to do with your individual personality and experiences.

I mean have we really progressed not an inch on sexism? How can it be that someone, without any degree of irony, could state that a nurturing role is property of females and if a male happens to have it, they must somehow be getting it from a psychological female gender?!

This is utter backwards nonsense! I am me and you are you. Our personalities do not develop from pre-determined biological attributes and they do not come from psychological stereotyped identities.

So rather than argue that gender doesn't exist, the argument is that the labels attributes have, shouldn't exist?

It's a fact that female brains are wired differently, and have different responses, concious or not, to stimulus, than male brains.

I don't think it's sexist to suggest that the people with traits "a, b, c" are X and those with traits "d, e, f" are Y. If you discriminate based on those traits, then I completely agree it's sexist, but if you don't I just see it as celebrating the differences in humanity.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, but I'm trying to understand as best I can.

I saw that article, quite an interesting read and will hopefully get people thinking about the issues involved. It seems that quite a few topics brought up in this thread are covered there too.

I think it's great that someone as high profile as Richard O'Brien is willing to discuss gender identity publicly, as it's a subject that's quite easy to forget about for most people (myself included). A large portion of our society is built around the concept of a sex/gender binary (I use both words deliberately as there is generally no distinction made between them), which leaves very little room for those that don't conform to the majority. It seems to me that raising awareness is a key step on the way towards acceptance.

I can see how they are different things, gender is in your head, sex is physical.

I shall comment no further due to not having done any reading in to it at this present time.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)