• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

Premier Inn's usually have bigger rooms and air conditioning not to mention the money back guarantee if you dont sleep (and this does work as I used it one night). And they tend to be cheaper.

BigT, your comparison is a little weak ...

So stay in a Premier Inn and fancy a snack or meal call room service? Forget it. - same as Alton
Charge a beer to your room? Forget it. - so? Just pay cash or card, no big deal
A nice swim or pamper? Forget it. - some you can. As for Alton, you can there if you pay extra for the spa or w.park
Ice to your room? Forget it. - cant in Alton either. Both hotels you can get a glass of ice and take it back however
Wifi? That will be £3 a day thanks. - granted, Alton offers free wifi
Breakfast? £9 for the worst breakfast bar none. - Alton breakfast aint exactly amazing....

What you are getting at Alton is the quirkiness of the hotel, its location. What your not getting ( unless out of season ) is value for money.

James, i'd err on the side of caution with regards the entertainments as being a perk of staying in Alton hotels..... it was pretty dire this year, especially with that young lad singing some off peak nights, was ruddy dreadful!

Oh yes, I'm not saying ents is good (it's average at best). I've been going to ATH since the 90s as a kid so I know how downhill it has gone since then. The band is the only real improvement of recent years.

It's still a perk nonetheless. Sure it's not much but it adds a little atmosphere. They just need to up the standard and expand, look back to the 90s and early 00s and see how offerings like that could work now.

Hmmm.... not sure the likes of the drag queens would work thesedays - people get offended far too easily nowadays and sense of humour in general is lacking in some people!!!!!

Breakfast? £9 for the worst breakfast bar none. - Alton breakfast aint exactly amazing....

I have to defend Towers here! Breakfast is usually one of the best parts of staying over at Towers.

:)

Hmmm.... not sure the likes of the drag queens would work thesedays - people get offended far too easily nowadays and sense of humour in general is lacking in some people!!!!!

I meant looking back at old ents in the sense of having a variety of offerings.

Tanya Hyde wasn't an off your shelf drag act as such. It was a character that played a role and was a part of the experience. I agree that wouldn't work now, I disagree it would offend, for me I think it would be a little cheesy for Towers now.

Breakfast is ok.

It's not as good as it used to be.

(No mushrooms anymore, smaller pastries, rubbish coffee, cheaper sausages )

Yes, quite. Looks likes orange juice, the picture on the machine looks like orange juice, smells like orange juice, but it dont taste like orange juice!! Think, erm, Tesco Value squash, diluted to 1 part per 100 water and your close....

But still better than offered by premier inn.

Look I've never actually stayed in the AT Hotels as I only live about 5 miles away but I have spent a good amount of time in them and they are not comparable to a Premier Inn full stop.
I've spent about 40 nights this year in various Premier Inns and they are not a hotel.
They are a bedroom (various quality at that) and that's it.
And they are not that cheap either!
I avoid them if possible.

Yes, quite. Looks likes orange juice, the picture on the machine looks like orange juice, smells like orange juice, but it dont taste like orange juice!! Think, erm, Tesco Value squash, diluted to 1 part per 100 water and your close....

These machines are used all over now, It tastes fine if you get it at the right time but once the concentrate starts running out it goes horrid and they seem slow at replenishing it.

To be fair the hotels that offer jugs of Juice tend to make it from the same concentrate, if you tell staff it's running low they tend to replenish it though.

Well tonight's busy in ATH as splash is being refurbished along with the water park
There is a total of 4 normal guests and 18 contractors

I bet it's rather nice though, peaceful and quiet
It was very peacfulnin ATH back in the Easter hols actually. Hardly anyone there, but is may be because I got there before park close lol. Was so quiet that Pirate Bill was going to the kids, rather than the kids going to him!

I know a lot of you will have seen this on Facebook. Although for any of those that do not follow Leek Signs on Facebook they have posted a few recent updates from Towers. Looks like the Waterpark is having a big refurbishment this year. There are rumours that the changing area has had a remodel too.

All pictures are from Leek Signs Facebook page.

10922635_826796124029926_8232837038136376947_n.jpg

11015_826796160696589_6628134497279938878_n.jpg

10520631_826796177363254_8342401510495986979_n.jpg

10394137_826796204029918_5874183957703860282_n.jpg

10347614_828459283863610_3793498341520693179_n.jpg

Vinyls :( Looking forward to see what has changed though! Wonder if they've finally got around to removing some of the Cariba Creek logos that can be found outside and inside the Waterpark...

To be fair I think we can forgive vinyls in this instance - provided they are kept looking good and aren't all peeled off in a few months.

For the sheer number of doors in the changing rooms, it's an acceptable measure to decorate them in this way. It's a step up from before anyway, since the previous changing rooms did not have themed doors.

They look great - and will hopefully make the changing area much nicer :)

It will be better than previous, so that is good. It just seems that all Merlin hotel projects now involve vinyls as the primary source of "theming".

I think vinyl's are right for this area as it easy to clean and will not get damaged by the moister in the air. If they use vehicle wrap type of vinyl, it will not peel for years to come, unless people start picking at it.

Even I will admit that in a changing room, wipe-clean vinyl is a better solution than real wood. If the doors were made from wood in that kind of woven pattern, it would start collecting grime and mold very quickly in the damp air.