• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

I wounder how long it will be before that paint starts to flake off again?

I don't envy the person that have cleaned and polish half of the globe at the top, they've doing a great job so far...

I think it looks good, and long overdue. However, it always amazes me they do these things in peak season. Surely it would make sense to do this sorta stuff when the hotels are quiet. I'm staying there this week with some people who never been, and it dont look good as a first impression does it! Hopefully it will be finished by Thursday but im not holding my breath..

Anyway - moans aside about the timing, must not grumble, at least it is looking much better.

The fountain did need repainting but even if they tried they would never be able to restore it to its original standard I doubt they employ anyone with the painting skills to achieve the oxidised finish.

It looks bright and eye catching, but it's another lazy refurbishment attempt in this case with plain old green, silver and bronze paint. No skill required.

It was only a few years ago they repainted the Splash Landings entrance feature and now after only a few years it looks even worse than it did before the repaint.

Last edited:
It did really need a paint, but I'm not overly impressed with that. It's looks too clean cut.

I also find it strange they do these things during peak season. This week will no doubt be one of the busier weeks of the summer so it's strange they choose to paint it now, when it will look a bit of a mess to first timers. Not that it ruins your visit.

Yep sure would be difficult to repaint in winter

DSC02732.jpg

I've once seen the fountain frozen like this with my own eyes and yes it was sure beautiful to see :)

(Image taken for Tower Times site)

Why not March/April/September, which are typically quieter months for the hotels.

The last week of August running up to bank holiday weekend is busier.

Ah that poor fountain.

It's just as bad as all the Splash Landings repaints. The ruined and lost details in ATH. And of course, the super-duper-uber crap-tastic job they've done on Nemesis.

Ruining Nemesis is one thing, but I've still not forgiven them for what they did to Splash Landings. I just can't get over it.

1. It's nothing like the original.
2. It's not even half finished.
3. They put rust patches on the alien's skin. How stupid is that.

I prefer it to the original - the rust effects, whilst not sympathetic to the original vision, look very good imo. And I prefer the beige of the current station.

Ultimately, I'm not bothered what Nemesis looks like. It's the best ride in the World regardless.

1. It's nothing like the original.
2. It's not even half finished.
3. They put rust patches on the alien's skin. How stupid is that.

The station repaint could have been better but overall they have done a pretty decent job (sorry, half a job). It really was a mess before and literally falling to pieces.

They have really spoiled the track and supports though. Unless they were willing to restore the track to its original textured aesthetic and apply the proper faded rust effects to the supports they should have left it as it was...authentically grimy. They have betrayed the original colour scheme of the theme which was perfect and did not messing with by a bunch of amateurs.

It's a total embarrassment that they apparently couldn't find the time or money to finish a job properly though. It's stupendously stupid that a major park like Alton Towers has been as unprofessional as to open a ride half painted. It really has a negative impact on the ride immersion to see the track and supports of the loop in the pit painted plain black and white and just left completely unfinished.

It's woeful to see the state of Forbidden Valley now. There's two coasters side by side which have nothing in common other than the fact they were manufactured by B&M and the only other ride in the area to hold the post-apocalyptic theme together is a tatty and knackered old pirate ship.

Oops....nearly forgot what topic this is. Yeah the hotels and resort in general are basically descending into second rate theming mediocrity with all these cheap budget repaints and childish vinyl wall coverings. There's no class, quality or subtlety in any of it. Yes everything needs refurbishing at some point, but the finished work shouldn't look like it was carried out by the kids staying in the hotel!

Last edited:
Ah that poor fountain.

It's just as bad as all the Splash Landings repaints. The ruined and lost details in ATH. And of course, the super-duper-uber crap-tastic job they've done on Nemesis.

Ruining Nemesis is one thing, but I've still not forgiven them for what they did to Splash Landings. I just can't get over it.
I'll agree that personally I don't like the fountain repaint, and I haven't really looked at splash enough to judge, but you seem to hate the nemesis repaint, and I can't see why really. Your giving an opinion on a job that isn't even finished yet, and most people will agree that it is a drastic improvement on last year. Yes, it would be better if it was all done, but it's not really that noticeable. You can only see it from the steps or from airs lift hill.

And nothing like the original? That doesn't always mean bad. As someone who's been seeing nemesis from 2010, I can say it's the best it's looked in recent years.

Saw the fountain outside the hotel on the weekend and to be honest it looks good.

Same here. I saw the fountain Saturday evening and they have done an excellent job with it. It's looking very nice. Just got to give it a couple of years and there be green algae growing over it :eek:

I was on resort on the weekend too and admit the fountain looks nicer in person, there's some nice little detailing here and there. Will look nice and clean when it's back up and running!

You may have seen on our Facebook page over the weekend that The Coffee Portal has opened in ATH, serving Costa Coffee (despite Starbucks being sold on park all of last season):

15094484_1240588162678292_1989671676623608479_n.jpg

Whoever thought of the name "Coffee Portal" should lose their job immediately, how unimaginative and it hardly fits in with the ATH theme.

We also believe that Starbucks is being removed from the park to be replaced with Costa.

:)

We also believe that Starbucks is being removed from the park to be replaced with Costa.

Please can they replace all the standard Nescafe machines with Costa automated machines too. The Nescafe in the hotel for breakfast was particularly bad. But also be sensible about the prices, the current £2.20 for a stanard white coffee is expensive as it is.