• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

But also be sensible about the prices, the current £2.20 for a stanard white coffee is expensive as it is.

That's cheap I think, I get a Costa in a morning from a machine at the local garage and it's £2.60. In Costa coffee shops, you wouldn't get much change from £3 for a regular coffee either.

That's cheap I think, I get a Costa in a morning from a machine at the local garage and it's £2.60. In Costa coffee shops, you wouldn't get much change from £3 for a regular coffee either.

I'm sure last time I was in Costa it was about £1.80 for an Americano.

Also Starbucks filter coffee is only £1.60 and Pret 99p, so it is possible to offer affordable coffee. I understand why latte etc is more expensive as there is more milk and milk costs more than water. But £2.20 is quite a lot for a basic coffee, particularly the quality and size that AT serve. I think I would pay £2.50 for a Costa Americano at AT, but more than that feels a complete rip-off.

I'm sure last time I was in Costa it was about £1.80 for an Americano.

Also Starbucks filter coffee is only £1.60 and Pret 99p, so it is possible to offer affordable coffee. I understand why latte etc is more expensive as there is more milk and milk costs more than water. But £2.20 is quite a lot for a basic coffee, particularly the quality and size that AT serve. I think I would pay £2.50 for a Costa Americano at AT, but more than that feels a complete rip-off.

You're right for their basic stuff, I was more leaning towards the latte and cappuccino pricing.

410110.jpg

Ah the classic retail trick of putting the base price up, then immediately applying a discount, so it doesn't seem there's been an increase.

Just out of curiosity, checked out a room for next Fireworks Saturday

with the 40% discount £275.00 for ATH
so without discount they are saying its a £470.00 a night room !?!

are they insane, is there not some sort or law about this

£470.00 a night

Fireworks Saturday gone a room in ATH was £160 with MAP discount, I know I paid it, I have receipts as proof o_O

Just out of curiosity, checked out a room for next Fireworks Saturday

with the 40% discount £275.00 for ATH
so without discount they are saying its a £470.00 a night room !?!

are they insane, is there not some sort or law about this

£470.00 a night

That's more or less what they were asking me for when I tried to book Splash.

WIth the terrible experiences I've had at the hotels in the last couple of years, I simply said "no thanks" and hung up. No one expects onsite hotels to be budget, but in all fairness there are better hotels for less than a quarter of that.

Fireworks Saturday gone a room in ATH was £160 with MAP discount, I know I paid it, I have receipts as proof o_O

That must have been a lucky strike.

Meant to post this ages ago... I thought the entertainment in ATH this year is a little better. The Scott Family are pretty decent, not as good as A-band-on-ship, but better than the years between that and now. They engage with the crowd well and the vocals aren't too bad (not amazing, but not horrific). I find it amusing that A-band-on-ship were removed because of noise issues (what with a band playing), yet this Scarefest we had vocalists, a keyboard and a guitar, if they had a drumset it would be the same as what they got rid of years ago... laughable.

Everything closed by 11pm I still find an utter joke. Hotel ents finished by 10:30, music and lights off by 10:45, bar closed shortly after. Splash arcade closed, restaurants closed, waterpark closed, quick it's 11pm everyone to bed! I hope with the addition of CBeebies Hotel this changes and there can be some quiet background music and a bar open longer for the older guests to enjoy a few drinks. Yes it's a family resort blah blah blah but it's not an 18-30s sexfest resort either, adults won't get pissed and start running up and down corridors naked at 3am waking up kids, people who want to drink late can act civil and stay at a reasonable volume.

Meant to post this ages ago... I thought the entertainment in ATH this year is a little better. The Scott Family are pretty decent, not as good as A-band-on-ship, but better than the years between that and now. They engage with the crowd well and the vocals aren't too bad (not amazing, but not horrific). I find it amusing that A-band-on-ship were removed because of noise issues (what with a band playing), yet this Scarefest we had vocalists, a keyboard and a guitar, if they had a drumset it would be the same as what they got rid of years ago... laughable.

Everything closed by 11pm I still find an utter joke. Hotel ents finished by 10:30, music and lights off by 10:45, bar closed shortly after. Splash arcade closed, restaurants closed, waterpark closed, quick it's 11pm everyone to bed! I hope with the addition of CBeebies Hotel this changes and there can be some quiet background music and a bar open longer for the older guests to enjoy a few drinks. Yes it's a family resort blah blah blah but it's not an 18-30s sexfest resort either, adults won't get ****ed and start running up and down corridors naked at 3am waking up kids, people who want to drink late can act civil and stay at a reasonable volume.

This is why I hope the CBeebies hotel will result in significantly less children in the main hotels. If ATH is seen as less of a child friendly hotel, they might relax the bar times.

This is why I hope the CBeebies hotel will result in significantly less children in the main hotels. If ATH is seen as less of a child friendly hotel, they might relax the bar times.

Bar times are limited at ATH because of noise, that is why the late bar is at Splash because the bar is not above or below any rooms.

Yes it's a family resort blah blah blah but it's not an 18-30s sexfest resort either, adults won't get ****ed and start running up and down corridors naked at 3am waking up kids, people who want to drink late can act civil and stay at a reasonable volume.
Evidence from some of our meets suggests this is not always true.

Everything closed by 11pm I still find an utter joke. Hotel ents finished by 10:30, music and lights off by 10:45, bar closed shortly after. Splash arcade closed, restaurants closed, waterpark closed, quick it's 11pm everyone to bed! I hope with the addition of CBeebies Hotel this changes and there can be some quiet background music and a bar open longer for the older guests to enjoy a few drinks. Yes it's a family resort blah blah blah but it's not an 18-30s sexfest resort either, adults won't get ****ed and start running up and down corridors naked at 3am waking up kids, people who want to drink late can act civil and stay at a reasonable volume.

I thnk you've been lucky to see a close down that late. My 3 visits this year the entertainnment (disgraceful use of that word) finished between 10:10 and 10:15 and everything shut down by 10:30. ATH bar managed to quietly stay open until 11. I was disgusted.

Hotel entertainment has sucked for about 10 years now. Yes, A-Band-On-Ship were ok! But only ok! It was still similar set up to what they have now - bunch of teenagers who can't sing whaling out karaoke tunes. They don't even dance!!

Where's "the show" aspect?

I thnk you've been lucky to see a close down that late. My 3 visits this year the entertainnment (disgraceful use of that word) finished between 10:10 and 10:15 and everything shut down by 10:30. ATH bar managed to quietly stay open until 11. I was disgusted.
I had a similar experiance on fireworks sunday this year, Scott Family finished about 10:30 and thats about as late as I was expecting entertainment to go on until. The Scott Family were perfectly fine, but I haven't watched any of the ATH entertainment for about 10 years so I don't have a comparision. But it was exactly what I was expecting.
I was surprised when the bar started closing at 10:45. I wasn't expecting service to finish until 11pm and therefore people would be drinking until 11:30. Although given the noise issues with the bars in the centre of the hotel I wasn't expecting service to continue beyond 11pm.
Although as others said, I would expect Ma Garitas in SLH to close later, at least serving to midnight.

Hotel entertainment has sucked for about 10 years now. Yes, A-Band-On-Ship were ok! But only ok! It was still similar set up to what they have now - bunch of teenagers who can't sing whaling out karaoke tunes. They don't even dance!!

Where's "the show" aspect?

I think that is a little unfair to those performing.

Whilst there is no denying it's glorified karaoke, the design of the ship doesn't really allow for anything much more developed.

I do feel that as the new CBeebies hotel comes by though, that a more high-brow approach should be taken to ATH.

^ Most hotels aren't attached to a theme park though? Most stately homes don't have any rides, so we should be ok with the selection now? If you're staying in your local travelodge, you're probably going to pop down town and check out the entertainment there, but Towers is in the middle of nowhere with no other evening entertainment options.

If you're staying in your local travelodge, you're probably going to pop down town and check out the entertainment there, but Towers is in the middle of nowhere with no other evening entertainment options.

Every time I've been at a travelodge or similar hotel following a day at AT they have been in the middle of nowhere too. No option to find other entertainment.
And the pub attached to the travelodge would close at 11pm as well! ;)

Have an earlier night then. With your logic, young children, who deserve to sleep are being deprived from sleeping hearing all the noises from the bars :)