• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Got any tips for Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach or Pleasuerewood Hills?

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
i'm going on holiday to Great Yarmouth on saturday for two weeks, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for Great Yarmouth Pleasurebeach and Pleasurewood hils?
thanks!

Last edited:
I've only been to the pleasure beach once to ride the classic woodie, can't remember much about it but there isn't enough there to keep you entertained all day. I don't think it gets particularly busy so you'd easily get on everything you want.

Never been to pleasurewood hills but I wouldn't of thought it gets that busy. Although I know Enigma can get long queues due to it only running one train.

Set your expectations low. Then take the stairs down to the basement and dig a hole to bury them in.

GYPB really has nothing of note other than their old scenic railway, which is not too bad at all in all honesty. Don't forget to take a walk down the prom to Joyland, it's a kiddy park but they do have some rather unique rides crammed in to an amazingly small space. Snails (at Joyland, not the one at GYPB) can almost approach an approximation of airtime.

Not sure if it's still there, but there was a rather good Quasar / Laser Quest (I forget which brand) somewhere along the prom that's worth checking out if you're in to that sort of thing. There's also a reptile house which not great, but if you're there for two weeks you'll need all the filler you can get.

I've not been to Peasurewood hills for a few years, and never in peak season, so I couldn't say how busy it will be. Enigma has dire throughput, having only a single three car train on a ride that is blocked for at least five. The queue can be so slow it moves backwards. But if you can eventually get on it, you'll find a nice punchy Schwartzkopf full of positive Gs.
Wipeout is a standard boomerang, in pretty good condition, but still a slight headbanger. Snake in the Grass is OK, but not as fun as the one at Oakwood. Tales of the Coast is meh. Have not been on Hobb's Pit so can't comment.
I've only been twice so am far from an expert on the place. Some of their flats (as well as Enigma) were rescued from Folkestone Rotunda, I can tell you that much.

But two whole weeks? Smeggin' hell, You can do the whole town in a weekend.
EDIT TO ADD: To be fair, me and @Kelpie did have a great weekend when we went years ago. ;)

How did I forget that? Yes, a powered junior Virginia Reel! Hardly anything special, but certainly unique. :)

Two weeks in Yarmuff? Poor soul.

Quasar that Diogo was on about is: http://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/Great-Yarmouth-Quasar/details/?dms=3&venue=0110990

Believe the reptile house closed down.

Rattlesnake in the grass is shut until end of season now.

As said, run to Engima first thing if it's open, as it has terrible throughput. 1 train of 8 people on a coaster that used to operate 4.

PWH also has the old wild mouse from Mingo, Marble Madness which isn't too bad if it's working!

Hobs Pit is a good little dark ride installed at the height of the park's recent boom period.

I hear a lot of people say Jolly Rodger is one of the best drop towers they've been on.

Fireball/Whizzy Dizzy has a poor operating cycle nowadays.

There's a lovely chairlift to take, but it's often a lot quicker to walk to the other end of the park. But it's not a large distance.-

Two minature railways (if they're operational). Also make sure you pop into Christine's Tea Rooms (Named after the Lady who has worked in there for years!). If Christine is working she's a lovely lady to talk too!

Go-Karts are worth a go, do the double person karts if you can!

Even in peak season, you should comfortably get the park done in a day, and even have time to see the Sealions (not seals.) and Parrot shows which are always worth a watch!

Last time I went in Peak season it poured it down with Rain.

Oh and if desperate. Try Yarmuff sealife.

I second (or third) Joyland, the most aptly named place you'll find. It is tiny, but I'd happily ride the snails and tubs for hours.

obviously going on holiday means that I'll be away from the site for the two weeks :(, unless there's decent WiFi.

I'm not sure if they even have phones in Yarrrrrmouth yet, never mind dial up. Wifi is the kind of witchcraft that can get you burnt at the steak to those folk.

I'm not sure if they even have phones in Yarrrrrmouth yet, never mind dial up. Wifi is the kind of witchcraft that can get you burnt at the steak to those folk.
That's Norfolk for you... Suffolk has lots of wifi because we're far more technically advanced.

If you are desperate, there looks to be a fair starting on Lowestoft's Royal Green while you're down. Such attractions usually include, A miami wave and a KMG Afterburner...

There are no parks in the area which I would class as 'full day' parks and I'm someone who likes to re-ride.

Having said that, GYPB is pretty good for what it is- a free entry seaside park, better than Adventure Island mainly due to its scenic railway style woodie. The back row is insane and your bum will do more than just leave the seat on the second, third and forth drops. It makes the Pleasure Beach although the log flume and fun house are pretty good too.

Joyland only charges £1 for each ride, not that you'd really want to re-ride anything there. The tubs are fun and definitely unique. Britannia pier also has a mini amusement park type thing with a ghost train (but no coaster so this park won't be found on RCDB).

Pleasurewood Hills is open for 8 hours a day but even at busy periods it's only a half day park. Enigma is annoying not only because of one train operation but also, as we discovered last year, if you visit on a quiet rainy Sunday when the park is dead, they require a minimum of 6 riders to send the train. So whatever happens you'll be waiting a while, it's the best ride at PWH though which kind of justifies the wait. The sea lion and summer dive shows are good too.

There's a few other attractions on Yarmouth seafront including a model village, roller disco and a few other bits and pieces.

The Pleasure Beach wooden coaster is the definite highlight of any trip down there though.

The summer fair is back in Lowestoft from this weekend for a week or two. Usually has a KMG Afterburner and a Miami Wave at least.

The summer fair is back in Lowestoft from this weekend for a week or two. Usually has a KMG Afterburner and a Miami Wave at least.
typical, as i spent today (Saturday) traveling back from my holiday :(. had a good time, though!