• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Grime?

They don't have to let anyone know. But it is closed season so why shouldn't they tweet about what is happening? I don't see why you are hating a simple tweet?

Who said I hated it? I found it amusing because up keep is surely a given in most big parks in closed season anyway. :)

Now they have got rid of VR you can see the tunnel again. And it could do with a jet wash.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Ah the Air tunnel. Behold the immersive CRASH MATS. :smile:

ZMod64u.jpg

A big thing in recent years is the quality of the staff. The few staff that really care about that place are pushed out.

The majority of the staff don’t care, and don’t have any standards pushed on them from management (as they have also lost the love for the place on the whole)

It’s a vicious cycle that is difficult to stop once a team the size of Alton’s gets in to a bad work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big thing in recent years is the quality of the staff. The few staff that really care about that place are pushed out.

The majority of the staff don’t care, and don’t have any standards pushed on them from management (as they have also lost the love for the place on the whole)

It’s a vicious cycle that is difficult to stop once a team the size of Alton’s gets in to a bad work ethic.

I know what you mean. Uniform expectations for example have slipped considerably in the last ten years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I know what you mean. Uniform expectations for example have slipped considerably in the last ten years.

Exactly! I remember a time not so long ago that you’d be sent home for not wearing black socks, or sent to uniform for a dry shave with a bic razor if you had stubble

Exactly! I remember a time not so long ago that you’d be sent home for not wearing black socks, or sent to uniform for a dry shave with a bic razor if you had stubble

There has been a relaxing of uniform generally across all minimum wage employees due to regulation regarding pay. Uniform is to be given to (or paid for) by the company such that it doesn't force the employee to earn under the minimum wage.

This means if a company requires specific shoes, socks, trousers or other, they must be able to provide them. For a site like Alton which has many staff, who presumably change frequently, providing this uniform can be expensive.

Not to mention keeping stock of shoes, socks & trousers can be difficult, especially when they need to be in enough sizes for the staff and washed after every use.

There is a loop hole which says that if the uniform policy is lenient enough (requiring shoes and socks for example, rather than smart black shoes and black ankle socks) then it is not necessary to pay for or provide these items as the employee should have them anyway.

Therefore many companies have chosen to relax uniform policy to save from the bottom line. This can be seen mostly in restaurants, where plain clothes waiters (or waiters in jeans, trainers and a brand t-shirt) have become extremely common, especially amongst the low-paying casual dining industry.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but as long as the staff provide good service (which they staff at Alton always do, from my experience), I don't think it really matters what they're wearing, personally.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but as long as the staff provide good service (which they staff at Alton always do, from my experience), I don't think it really matters what they're wearing, personally.

Or if they have stubble!

Sorry, but I totally disagree.

It's a theme park. Not a fashion parade.

It's for the guests to wear their JD kicks, Fat Face tshirt or Seattle Hawks cap.

Not the staff.

Sorry, but I totally disagree.

It's a theme park. Not a fashion parade.

It's for the guests to wear their JD kicks, Fat Face tshirt or Seattle Hawks cap.

Not the staff.

Of course there should be a baseline uniform of sorts. But I don't think things like the colour of socks or stubble really affect the guest experience, personally.

It's just another example where Merlin or Alton Towers* seem to think that small details don't matter. They're wrong. Attention to detail is very important.

Having all staff looking presentable is an important part of the brand image, and high standards also enforce a higher level of discipline. If a member of staff can dress sloppy without any accountability then I'm sure a percentage will then be sloppy with other things like customer service, chatting to each other instead of doing their job, or using their mobile phones (I've experienced all three recently).

* I'm not sure whose remit this falls under.

Of course staff looking presentable to a degree is important. But I personally don't think it really matters if someone is wearing coloured socks or has some stubble (or a similar small, dress-related detail).