• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gruffalo & Friends Clubhouse (Merlin Blackpool - Project Tusk)

Adam James

TS Contributor
Favourite Ride
Wild Mouse, BPB
Following the addition of Peter Rabbit: Explore & Play to the Golden Mile, another IP-based attraction is set to be installed next to Sealife with a budget of £2.3 million, which according to planning documents is under the code name Project Tusk.
This also follows the news that Merlin Entertainments is set to take over operations of the Sandcastle Waterpark opposite the Pleasure Beach.

You can also see indicative planning documents under 22/0992 on the council website.

Last edited:
Following the addition of Peter Rabbit: Explore & Play to the Golden Mile, another IP-based attraction is set to be installed next to Sealife with a budget of £2.3 million, which according to planning documents is under the code name Project Tusk.
This also follows the news that Merlin Entertainments is set to take over operations of the Sandcastle Waterpark opposite the Pleasure Beach.

More details on blooloop

You can also see indicative planning documents under 22/0992 on the council website.
Merlin really like calling their new attractions Project something, don't they?

Just the running...it really needs the Merlin pass holders for it to run efficiently.
It is a very big shed to heat for a few hundred punters off peak.
But I would expect at peak times they would have to charge passholders a supplement as otherwise it would be a significant amount of guests paying very little when they probably could get who are willing to pay.
But yes off peak and particularly in the winter the passholders could probably make a huge difference to attendance and income.

Seems to be that this will be a harry potter themed magic show?

Or ive got the wrong building lol

Gruffalo theming was already made for the previous site they intended to use. It'll be that.

Always amazed me that BPB never attempted to buy/run or go into partnership with the Sandcastle.
Could've sold combined 2 day tickets, and as add ons for hotel guests.

Maybe they didn’t need to go in to partnership with them. BPB might have been happy to let Sandcastle operate as it was, serving as complimentary attraction in the town rather than being something they needed to invest themselves in.

I think because of the way that Merlin own and operate a portfolio of properties we can think that acquisition and the running of a chain is the norm but really would there have been any need for Pleasure Beach to get themselves tied up with a water park? They’ve had enough on their hands with owning and running an amusement park and hotel to worry about a water park that I assume I’d rather expensive to run. Besides, rather than selling a combined two day Pleasure Beach and Sandcastle ticket maybe they’d rather guests just spent two days on park.

BPB might have been happy to let Sandcastle operate as it was, serving as complimentary attraction in the town rather than being something they needed to invest themselves in.
I'm not convinced that's the case. I'm sure there've been major crossed swords over it in the past, in particular when Sandcastle have tried to do anything with their bit of the prom.