• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Has anyone been to Oakwood via public transport? Is it worth it?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. With the recent reopening of Megafobia following its big retrack, I must admit that I was quite spurred to try and go down to Oakwood for my first visit in 4 years. However, I had a look at the train situation to try and get there… and it did not look good. From where I’m based (less than 10 miles from the South Wales border), the train situation to get to the nearest train station entails multiple changes and 4 hours+ of total train travel. And that’s before you consider getting from one of the local train stations to Oakwood itself… that would almost certainly require a bus or taxi of some description.

So basically, my question is; has anyone been to Oakwood on public transport or been to the park as a non-driver? What are the easiest ways to get there as a non-driver, from your experience, and is it worth the hassle? Any route I’ve planned myself would almost certainly entail at least 1 night in a hotel, possibly 2, and I remember from my last visit that I only spent a few hours at Oakwood last time I went and had more than an adequate fill rides-wise, so I was wondering whether anyone knew of any easier methods of getting there and whether going to Oakwood on public transport would be worth it.

If not, I guess I coild put a pin in doing retracked Megafobia until I pass my driving test, which I’m hoping might be within the next year, but with how driving has been for me so far, I can never tell and I wouldn’t like to be too hopeful. With that in mind, I do think pondering public transport arrangements would be important to ensure that I can get places in the future if I ultimately end up being unable to drive.

So has anyone been to Oakwood on public transport? If you have, what methods would you recommend? And in your view, is it worth the hassle?

Never managed it by public or private transport from my home Matt...simply too far away for a couple of decent coasters for me.
Could I politely suggest helicopter, as I don't think personal jet packs have sufficient range yet.
Could also possibly be quicker by pushbike, road bike that is, not mountain.
Just get your test passed and "borrow" dads car.

Ask yourself, is this worth it for a retracked coaster in an otherwise ailing park?
If it wasn’t for retracked Megafobia, I probably wouldn’t even be considering it, but with it having recently opened and getting absolutely rave reviews, I am quite tempted to try and go down there.
You could probably take the train to Parc Asterix or Plopsa De Panne with significantly less stress. And ride some better coasters in the process.
Not from where I’m based, sadly. I’m based in Gloucestershire, less than 10 miles from the South Wales border at Chepstow, and getting to London St Pancras (that’s where European trains go from, isn’t it?) from here would be an expensive and stressful affair in itself before you even consider the EuroStar.

Besides, I’m not sure that I currently feel comfortable with the idea of travelling abroad on my own. The furthest I’ve been on my own via train is Drayton Manor, which was just under 2 hours away, entailed no changes, and only required a 40 minute walk to the park. I’d like to push my boundaries solo trip-wise, and I feel like a more complicated UK train journey with a change or two and the requirement to get a taxi or bus at the end rather than walk would be the next logical step. I figure that if I can get to Oakwood via public transport, I can get to pretty much anywhere in the UK!

I’ve actually had another look, and on closer inspection, the situation isn’t as bad as I’d thought. If I go on Thursday 27th July, the train situation is as follows:
Journey There (Chepstow-Narberth)
  • Time: 3h 59m
  • Changes: 2
  • Trains: Chepstow-Newport, Newport-Carmarthen, Carmarthen-Narberth
  • Departure Time from Chepstow: 07:22
  • Arrival Time in Narberth: 11:21
Journey Back (Narberth-Chepstow)
  • Time: 3h 16m
  • Changes: 2
  • Trains: Narberth-Swansea, Swansea-Newport, Newport-Chepstow
  • Departure Time from Narberth: 16:01
  • Arrival Time in Chepstow: 19:17
The cost of a return train ticket would be £31.70, which I thought was incredibly cheap, and Oakwood claims that they are a 15 minute taxi ride from Narberth station.

I can get a reduced price ticket to Oakwood as a student if I present a valid student ID (which I have), which if booked 3-6 days in advance would cost approximately £29, so assuming that a taxi costs less than £40 (which I’d hope it would for a 15 minute drive), that would get me a day out for less than £100!

With the times I’ve specified, I could probably get to Oakwood by about 12pm and leave by about 3:30pm, so I could probably spend about 3.5 hours there. That doesn’t sound like very long, but based on my last visit, where I spent no longer than 3 hours there and did 10 rides, I think that would probably suffice.

Call me mad, but I’m ever so slightly tempted to give it a go…

The park is crap. Honestly, it really is. If this doesn't bother you, fill your boots. Why not?

The park is crap. Honestly, it really is. If this doesn't bother you, fill your boots. Why not?
I’ve been to the park before, so I know what’s there and what it’s like. My main reason for going would be to try the retracked Megafobia out, as it seems to be getting absolutely rave reviews from those who’ve done it so far.

Wait until you can drive. From where you are it would be an easy-ish day trip max 2hrs each way. There just isn't enough to do at the park to justify an associated overnight stay, let alone two, unless you are exploring the area anyway.

Not sure I'd go as far as 'rave reviews', it's had a partial retrack and is hopefully more comfortable to ride now but probably not worth rushing to if you've done it before.

I will concede it is running well now; but honestly it’s still a huge effort to get out there for just Megafobia.

I (very stupidly) went on Friday before the meet this weekend because I had a spare day, and being from the SW it’s not completely horrendous for me to get to, and I can say that if it wasn’t for the fact the park was quiet I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed it. Especially as the thing is only on one train right now so any queue would just end up taking an age.

And the rave reviews are a bit strong. It’s good, it’s smooth, but it’s not mind blowing.

Thank you all for your advice.

After consideration, I’ve decided to scrap this idea. The more I think about it, the more complicated it seems for the amount of park day I’d be getting, and if I’m being honest, it also seemed fraught with risk in terms of things to go wrong (one of the layovers was only 5 minutes, and any significant delay would have set me back another 2 hours).

I think Oakwood seems like it would be a vastly easier trip once I’m (hopefully) able to drive, overall.

I'm absolutely sure you are able to drive Matt, you just haven't completed the paperwork.
When you do eventually drive in a car yourself, pick me up on the way will you...Lancashire isn't much of a diversion.

A trip to Oakwood is worth mixing with a holiday in Pembrokeshire. You've got Tenby nearby and plenty of other seaside towns to visit, beautiful coastlines and plenty of other tourist attractions around the area.

Oakwood is a 2-hour drive for me. I live in Wales. The last time I did a day trip to Oakwood was in 2010… for me, it's not worth it for a day trip.

A trip to Oakwood is worth mixing with a holiday in Pembrokeshire. You've got Tenby nearby and plenty of other seaside towns to visit, beautiful coastlines and plenty of other tourist attractions around the area.

Oakwood is a 2-hour drive for me. I live in Wales. The last time I did a day trip to Oakwood was in 2010… for me, it's not worth it for a day trip.
I’ve holidayed in the area more times than I can count since I was little; Pembrokeshire has always been my family’s seaside spot of choice!

With that being said, I have only been to Oakwood 3 times, in 2010, 2016 and 2019, with the 2016 visit being a school trip rather than a trip with my family… the other 2 visits were day trips as part of a wider holiday to the area.

The fact that I’ve been to Pembrokeshire countless times over the years and only visited Oakwood twice during any of our holidays there is possibly a telling sign of what my family thinks of the park…

I definitely think waiting until next year is the way to go. By then Drenched will have reopened, the reimagined Spooky 3D and whatever the new investment for that area will be.

If you’re keen to go this season then I would try and go for an After Dark evening (the fireworks are pretty good) or for their Halloween even if scare mazes are your bag - it’s a decent offering for a small park.

Getting their on public transport is a ballache. I did it in 2011 - the taxi price was obscene even back then.

I have a season pass and go semi regularly so could always give a lift from Cardiff.