• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Health and Safety Gone Mad?

Re: TowersStreet news

So the two applications to have fencing around Battle Galleons, parts of the Ruins and parts of the lower gardens have been approved.

Two applications for fencing in the upper gardens have been denied.

Where do Towers go next? I imagine redraft the plans and resubmit?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I was really irritated by the amount of 'checks' on the main rides during my visit.

Th13teen was the worst, my restraint was checked four times! Twice by one member of staff, then checked again by two separate members of staff... absolutely ridiculous. Do health and safety not trust the theme park staff?

The check changes this year are completely unneeded for. There's never been a problem with many rides now for the past 10+ years (3 years in Th13teen's case) - and no rides have had fatalities recently regarding safety checks. It really annoys me that H&S have just splattered themselves all over the rides.

On a positive note I've got to commend the staff for working as fast as they can, even with the added number of checks needed. The Oblivion team especially I was impressed with how quickly they checked the restraints. The staff are working really well, just a shame H&S is causing so much faff for rides!

A lot of restraints are being checked extra at the start of the season due to the training which is going on for new staff :)

The restraint checking on Thirteen has been ridiculous so far this season. Every time I've been on I've had my restraint checked at least twice, usually by the same person.

As for the planning applications for the fencing. I'm pleased that the application for fencing around the Towers and Battle Galleons has been approved. The existing fencing isn't in the best condition in places. I'm also pleased that they application for fencing in the Gardens has been rejected. Looks like the council have come to the conclusion of common sense. I hope this means that the temporary rope fences all over the Gardens are taken down as they look awful.

:)

I can understand them putting fencing round the boating lake, as that is a fairly high fall into fairly deep water, from a fairly busy path. The rest, on the other hand, is a daft idea.

Looks like Disneyland is having a few problems too. I suppose health & safety world-wide is having a step up and Towers just want to watch their back. Just to clarify - Disney's own safety team imposed these restrictions and not an external company as expressed later on in the report.

Click me about Disney

Health and Safety is the number 1 priority for any theme park owner.

Bad publicity due to an accident could ruin any company.

Wilsy said:

Guest numbers at chessington haven't suffered this year as a result of the little girl falling through tomb blasters queueline... In fact they've hit full capacity a few times this year already!

The fencing in front of the Towers and around the boating lake needs to be improved. Nowhere else needs any new fencing really.

Had a nice walk through the Gardens yesterday due to the Skyride being out of action because of high winds. Not once did a member of the group throw themselves off a ledge and, I assume, not once did one of them have the urge to.

Saw a family having a wander, and they seemed quite content to stick to the paths and walk around.

I get the impression that a lot of the H&S "problems" faced by the park have been made up in a meeting room somewhere and blown out of all proportion.

Re: Re: Health and Safety Gone Mad?

RustyRider said:
Wilsy said:

Guest numbers at chessington haven't suffered this year as a result of the little girl falling through tomb blasters queueline... In fact they've hit full capacity a few times this year already!

Chessington only hit capacity due to the lower capacity they have during the zoo days.

Even if Chessington hasn't lost out in guest figures, they certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the negative publicity.

Regarding fencing in front of the Towers. Me and my parents had a wander by there during our visit and having looked properly at where said fences will be going, we honestly don't see why fences need to be put there. The path is big enough and quite easy to stick by. It's one hell of a drop if you fall down in front of the Towers, although it's such a big ditch it's highly unlikely anyone will be tempted to walk across the wall.

If teenagers or parents leave their kids to mess around near drops that far, then honestly, they deserve to fall down there. It's a pretty obvious place NOT to be messing around on - and if you do, well more fool you.

The boating lake makes a bit more sense, as it's not clear how deep the water is, which results in people sometimes walking near it.

The Towers though. There's a clear enough danger in front of you. If people want to mess around by there a fence ain't going to stop them anyway.

Rob said:
The restraint checking on Thirteen has been ridiculous so far this season. Every time I've been on I've had my restraint checked at least twice, usually by the same person.

As for the planning applications for the fencing. I'm pleased that the application for fencing around the Towers and Battle Galleons has been approved. The existing fencing isn't in the best condition in places. I'm also pleased that they application for fencing in the Gardens has been rejected. Looks like the council have come to the conclusion of common sense. I hope this means that the temporary rope fences all over the Gardens are taken down as they look awful.

:)

I think the council came to the alternative conclusion that less obtrusive fencing could be used.

I expect we'll see almost identical plans put through but for a thin wire fence or the like that doesn't obstruct the view.

Surely just wacking a few signs up saying take care and then putting a few fences up where people are likely to fall would do. Sticking fences everywhere is just a waste of cash and makes the place look ugly.

Ironic that one of the largest terrain drops on park (on the hotel end of the Woodland Walk) is completely unfenced. Whereas elsewhere a 2ft wall has roping all along the edge. :p

Some of the new fences have now been installed on park.

Before Scarefest this fence (which replaced an old one) was put in Her Ladyships garden:
1526525_592578497479265_372384078_n.jpg

However more fencing has now been installed in Her Ladyships garden, this one looks particularly horrible in person:
1526583_592578517479263_790681314_n.jpg

Fences have also been installed in front of the towers, these actually look quite good in person, and much better than what was there before, I don't think they are quite finished, as they hadn't been concreted in or anything yet:
1521819_592582787478836_445593187_n.jpg

1560701_592582774145504_1366874245_n.jpg

That second one is dire! I wonder what made them use that kind of fencing?

Just need some barbed wire on top of that second fence!

The ones around the Towers look pretty fine. Although tbh if you're idiotic enough to walk across the wall then you deserve to fall down there.

Nice to see the crazed H&S people are at it again anyway. Once they've done the fences I think it's time they bubble wrap the trees - leaves can be very lethal when they drop!

For the second fence, you would of thought if it was needed they could install one in keeping with the look of the area.

The other fences do fit nicely with the look of the area they are in, and I like the new ones at the front of the towers.

The second one I don't really see why it is there. It is not near a path, and no one ever wonders around that bit of her ladyships gardens. It just looks cheap, and in a few years it will be half hanging down I imagine.

The other ones look OK.