• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heide Park

German theme parks are curiously flammable it seems.
No no Dave, just EP. EP is the one that needs closing down, all others are fine! In fact it was probably Roland that set Heide Park alight to make it seem like EP is more fire retardant than it is, I’ll have you know!

No no Dave, just EP. EP is the one that needs closing down, all others are fine! In fact it was probably Roland that set Heide Park alight to make it seem like EP is more fire retardant than it is, I’ll have you know!

Roland the pyromaniac strikes again!!

Heide Park was looking in pretty good shape when I visited this week. All rides were running, most of the abandoned rides have now been well hidden/disguised, which was nice to see, all water features and theming elements were working and the gardens looked very well kept. A very pleasant park and enjoyable experience. The staff were great too.

But my goodness, a park of this size closing at 5pm in the height of North Germany’s school holidays is just down right ridiculous. Especially when considering that (the much smaller) Hansa Park was open 11:00-21:00 on the same day. I guess this is the inconvenient reminder that the park is run by Merlin.

Least they are getting a new ride, seems like they are the German Thorpe park, with very few investments for years.

I’m guessing this will be located somewhere near where the old log flume and stuff used to be if it’s themed to Flug?

The new attraktion will be a darkride named "Dämonen Gruft (transl Demon Tomb)". Located near Flug der Dämonen.
And of course it has a dark theme. Merlin never misses. I hope this got the same scary vibe like curse at alton manor.

Bonus point for a Merlin mention of a mysterious discovery made during recent excavation works! In the opening line, no less.

Damonen Gruft has now opened, and Dark Ride Database was invited down to experience it. It sounds as though they had pretty good things to say about it; here's their review: https://darkridedatabase.com/report-taking-the-catacombs-tour-at-damonen-gruft-heide-parks-new-ride/

It looks like a very resourceful use of space, actually! Even if the theoretical capacity of 380pph is mildly concerning... those initial queues could be long!
That looks brilliant. The theming throughout seems like it is great.

It's small size gives me a "Dungeons" vibe. Reminds me of the coaster that used to be in the Amsterdam Dungeon.
Only without the coasting.
And better theming.

Mixed reviews on this new dark ride from Merlin then, if judging the POV it doesn’t look anything outstanding but perhaps better in person? I still believe The Curse At Alton Manor still stands as one of the more interesting dark rides Merlin has had its hands on!

Maybe the two Johns mixed with Merlin magic were a great combination, they also had the upper hand utilising what was already there to free up the budget for more creativity I guess.