• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

Hex thwarts me again, it seems. Going for three days starting from tomorrow. 🤣 😥 😥 😥 😥
I’d expect it to be closed unfortunately. The same thing happened with the Rapids where they said it’d be a few days , which it was, but it sounds like they’re expecting at least a few weeks. This could all be wrong obviously.
I do wonder if the parking issues have become too much of an issue and this is causing problems.

Apparently it was Hex's birthday yesterday, so maybe it just wants a break? 😛
This extended closure is worrying though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the parking issue again.

Hex must surely be very near end of life now?

Scary the age of a lot of the ride infrastructure. Cough up Merlin.

I guess the park of the 80s was mainly temporary rides or things with shorter life-spans by default, but the stuff added by Tussauds in the 90s/2000s was more permament and have had long-lasting appear. Of course things do need regular replacement as they won't last forever, they are doing it with Nemesis but multiple other rides will need work.

I’m now quite glad I did go on it at the start of the season! And it was honestly the best ride I’ve had on it in a while!

I wonder why it’s been so unreliable as of late? In both 2022 and 2023, the ride seems to have had problems…

Hex is only 22 years old, though; it can’t be at the end of its life, surely? Plenty of older Madhouses operate; Villa Volta at Efteling was built in 1996 (I think?), and that still operates problem free, as far as I’m aware.

If you look after things they last a long time, if you don't, they don't.

It’s not quite as simple as that really. You can look after something of poor design and build quality as much as possible, it’ll still likely fall apart sooner than by rights it should…

(This definitely 100% isn’t the case with Hex though lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look after things they last a long time, if you don't, they don't.
Unfortunately pluk, life isn't like that these days.
I can purchase a cheap cordless lawnmower for the price of the annual service of my fancy petrol mower, sadly.
The first spare "cheapie" cordless has lasted three years of abuse.
My other decent cordless has not had a penny spent on it in two years either.
In the end I only got the posh petrol Stihl mower out once all season last year, despite the hundred quid service.
Back on topic, when did Hex last put a decent length of working service in?

With Hex suffering from increasing reliability issues, discussion has now started to occur about whether the ride is hitting the end of its life and whether the park would replace it like-for-like in the event that this needed to happen.

To be honest, I do sometimes wonder if Hex would be viewed by the park as important enough to replace in the event that the whole ride system needed replacing.

The fact that nothing else can be done with that space rides-wise definitely works in its favour, but it is only a filler attraction rather than a headliner, and I don’t see a replacement of it making business sense from Alton Towers’ standpoint like a replacement of Nemesis or another of the park’s major coasters does.

If it needed major money spending on it, would Alton Towers really view that as viable? It’s increasingly looking like Nemesis may reopen next year with some changes to make the retrack marketable, and that’s a major coaster rather than a filler ride.

Seeing as Hex is only a filler attraction, would Alton Towers really view it as worthwhile to dismantle the current ride mechanism and rebuild it from scratch? As much as enthusiasts like Hex, it is more of a filler attraction than a headliner, and doing a like-for-like replacement of it would cost a lot of money… does that really make business sense from Alton Towers’ standpoint?

Last edited:
Unfortunately pluk, life isn't like that these days.
I can purchase a cheap cordless lawnmower for the price of the annual service of my fancy petrol mower, sadly.
The first spare "cheapie" cordless has lasted three years of abuse.
My other decent cordless has not had a penny spent on it in two years either.
In the end I only got the posh petrol Stihl mower out once all season last year, despite the hundred quid service.
Back on topic, when did Hex last put a decent length of working service in?

That's true, but hex is a fancy petrol mower we already own. Its not a Zamperla.