• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

Likely to be strong on the dark ride front (hopefully)
Even so, still a hell of a lot better than the flat ride front. Mind you I'm going off topic a little bit here but when Project Horizon opens, I reckon whatever the theme might be for it will give us a clue to what theme we might get for what might be going into the Dungeons building and perhaps maybe for Gangsta Granny and TWODW once the IP rights expire then which I have no clue when (2030 TWODW ends if it is on a ten year deal?)

Now regarding Hex, would you either it or Alton Manor be considered to be the flagship dark ride on the park?

I think they'd be willing to splash the cash for Hex if more indoor attractions are the way they're going. In a few years, they could have:
Gangsta Granny
Hex
The Curse at Alton Manor
Nemesis Sub-Terra
Project Horizon
A rethemed high quality attraction in the Dungeon building

Likely to be strong on the dark ride front (hopefully)
Plus Sea Life Sharkbait Reef and a handful of CBeebies stuff like the Pie-o-matic play area.

There is also the theatre sat empty that could get a new show or 4D film.

Plus Sea Life Sharkbait Reef and a handful of CBeebies stuff like the Pie-o-matic play area.

There is also the theatre sat empty that could get a new show or 4D film.
The Nickelodeon building too and maybe even the X-Cite building too if they decide to gut it all out and use the space for say a Black Mirror style mirror maze...actually, I didn't realise how much empty space the park has to utilise existing buildings for possible dark rides. If the park does want to go down the 365 day a year then they certainly going to have the infrastructure needing for dark rides needed for this purpose.

The Nickelodeon building too and maybe even the X-Cite building too if they decide to gut it all out and use the space for say a Black Mirror style mirror maze...actually, I didn't realise how much empty space the park has to utilise existing buildings for possible dark rides. If the park does want to go down the 365 day a year then they certainly going to have the infrastructure needing for dark rides needed for this purpose.
There is no way we will get 365 day opening, the most likely is the Christmas season getting bigger like the European parks and then keeping January, February, March as closed season as the weather is usually worse.

There is no way we will get 365 day opening, the most likely is the Christmas season getting bigger like the European parks and then keeping January, February, March as closed season as the weather is usually worse.
I did say IF remember, either way more open days throughout the year is certainly what seems to be the way whatever happens. Anyway, back to Hex before these comments are deleted.

I think you have to define what is meant by a 365 day opening before suggesting how likely it is.

How likely is it that they can provide an offering of something for 365 days a year in the short term ... Quite likely. How likely is it that they will move to a 365 day opening schedule reminiscent of what other parks have built over decades ? I think unlikely ...

I like having a closed season. Having worked in 365 day parks, the charm is somewhat lost on me.

I think even if we do not see a 365 day opening, of which we almost certainly would never see a full line-up. But, if they do plan to expand select offerings, for a longer period in the season. Hex, along with other indoor attractions would be a major part of this strategy.

Shawn says in his latest vlog that his sources on park say that they keep fixing Hex via the cheap option basically, and it keeps breaking. Essentially not opting for the longer term fix. He is usually right about things. If true, I’m not surprised in the slightest.

Shawn says in his latest vlog that his sources on park say that they keep fixing Hex via the cheap option basically, and it keeps breaking. Essentially not opting for the longer term fix. He is usually right about things. If true, I’m not surprised in the slightest.

Don’t think it’s quite that reductive if I’m honest. The regular fix isn’t the cheap option but the ultimately solution is likely incredibly expensive.

It'd be interesting to know how much a new 'bare bones' Mad House costs, not including site prep etc, relative to the cost of a whole attraction like Hex. My completely informed guess would be not all that much.

The problem with any investment like that is how you'd create a business case for it. Unlike Nemesis, people don't base their trip around a go on Hex. I suppose you could change the story a bit or whatever but if you marketed it as a new attraction despite the big climax being exactly the same I don't expect that'd land too well. Maybe there's more you can do with a Mad House but I can't really imagine what. It is a unique blend of heritage and ride experience, and has great throughput, but is that enough?

I fear the worst. I'll miss it when it goes.

It would sound sacrilegious to change the ride's story if changing it up is the only way to give it the full overhaul it needs is to change the story up like what they are doing with Nemesis.

Actually, speaking hyperbolic here but if they were to make a sequel version to the Hex story in which what happened after the branch has been found in the vault which turns out to have terrible powers, how would you make a sequel story based round that? Honestly, it sounds strange but it has always bothered me in my autistic mindset in which if workers did find a fallen branch that was really cursed, what happens next once you leave the vault, what would the aftermath be? (No cheeky comments that they'd close the vault which technically they already have done now!)

Maybe bring up the fact that the actual Oak Tree has seen more of itself falling apart and has made the curse even worse that now affects the whole of the Towers?

That said though, as much as I do love Hex's queueline videos, they are starting to look a little old and could give a little update to it all such as the fact of the Oak tree's current state which does have potential to be part of a good storyline if done well.

So yeah 'Hex II: The Quest For More Lousy RAP Passes' anyone?

I’ve put in a thread elsewhere I’d love to hex become almost a pre-show for an Alton Towers Rise of the Resistance…with the exit instead leading into a walkthrough attraction possibly based within the towers, through the conservatory into the main buildings or ended with something else, maybe a flying theatre or another dark ride?

Consolidating the back of house and unused buildings around the driving school garage would allow more than enough room for this.

As others have said, an easy update related to the curse “changing” due to recent falling branches. Possibly tying in with some Algenon “folklore”.

Lots of different options

An updated Hex either regarding system or story is not exactly far fetch given how Merlin have put effort into both the conversion works Alton Manor, Ghost Train and possibly with Sub Terra depending on what they've done with itin which if one or all three are successful then it might allow the MMM team to have a bit more freedom for them to tackle another existing dark ride and gain a larger budget which could allow for a much larger overhaul like what many say Hex is needing.

I have no doubt that the thought of giving Hex an update in perhaps it's storyline would have crossed the minds of MMM with some already have written some rough story ideas for what they'd like to do ideally but for them to have a larger budget for future dark rides it all depends on how Merlin's converted/reopened dark rides for this year all perform.

I don't think Hex is far off. Fix some of the scenic details in the vault lost to damage/neglect (above the doors for example) and fix whatever is clearly knackered and they're on to a winner. Yes they could throw a sack load of cash at a huge revamp, but in this case it isn't needed. Nemesis the key thing they had was a world class layout/location, but with Hex the current theme is what makes it great. Retheming Hex would be akin to changing the layout to Nemesis.

There can be no doubt that Hex has a long term future given the increased focus on year long opening and indoor attractions.

Hopefully the money can be found to get the ride working properly and consistently.

No retheme is needed.

We might think that no retheme of Hex is needed, but if the ride did need major money spending on it, would Merlin see it that way?

Merlin’s current track record suggests that they don’t typically allocate money for major attraction refurbishments unless there is some kind of marketable change to shout about. Look at Nemesis, for instance; they’re altering the theme (seemingly) and the whole aesthetic of the ride, alongside a rumoured rename to Nemesis Reborn. And that’s one of the park’s headline coasters, as opposed to a filler attraction that’s more of a sideliner rather than a main draw.

If Hex did need major money spent on it, would Merlin realistically grant this money without there being some kind of marketable change to it?

We might think that no retheme of Hex is needed, but if the ride did need major money spending on it, would Merlin see it that way?

Merlin’s current track record suggests that they don’t typically allocate money for major attraction refurbishments unless there is some kind of marketable change to shout about. Look at Nemesis, for instance; they’re altering the theme (seemingly) and the whole aesthetic of the ride, alongside a rumoured rename to Nemesis Reborn.

If Hex did need major money spent on it, would Merlin realistically grant this money without there being some kind of marketable change to it?

Colossus retrack work counters this theory to a fair extent, but more to the point Sub Terra reopening seemingly unaltered.

If Hex needs work done to maintain park capacity then that is a priority at the moment and enough of a reason to justify the expense, even for Merlin.

The alternative is probably several more years of rented flat rides.

Many attractions will have considerable money spent on upgrades and we don’t necessarily hear about it. If Spinball hadn’t been late opening this year would it have been public knowledge that they had spent significant amounts on a new control system for example?

Hex potentially needing some cash spending on isn’t really out of the ordinary for a ride of its age. These things do cost money to keep them going.

Colossus retrack work counters this theory to a fair extent, but more to the point Sub Terra reopening seemingly unaltered.

If Hex needs work done to maintain park capacity then that is a priority at the moment and enough of a reason to justify the expense, even for Merlin.

The alternative is probably several more years of rented flat rides.
I grant you that those are fair examples, but I would say; would either of those cost as much as, say, replacing the entire Madhouse component of Hex?

Ultimately, I think it boils down to whether the work required to keep Hex going costs relatively little money or is a very big expense. If it’s a big expense, Merlin may deem spending the money to not be worth it without some kind of USP.