• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex

It's not a humid environment, it's a dry environment so it shouldn't do any damage.

Natalie said:
It's not a humid environment, it's a dry environment so it shouldn't do any damage.
But... hang on, that makes no sense to me. Surely if it's a dry environment, it should remain dry, and making it damp will in time cause damage?

For instance, our neighbours toilet cistern overflow pipe has been dripping for months, and although it didn't do any damage in the short term, now that it's been going on so long it's causing us problems, as it's creating damp in our wall.

In the short term, spraying water around the Octagon won't do much/any damage at all. In the long term, however, I can't believe it'll do any good.

I think people said it was removed because it caused the floor to be slippy, And with no staff members in there I guess it could be easy for someone to fall over.

I do like the UV hag but its not that noticable, mainly because of the hag that lights up on the scafolding. they should make the UV hag appear first before the rest lights up. It does look really freaky.

It was cut off due to the risk of legionnaires. Oblivions was cut off at the same time, until they got a wonderful filter system installed.

All other additions/installations have filter systems to comply with this legislation, it'd simply cost too much for so little gain with Hex it seems :(

thefatone said:
It was cut off due to the risk of legionnaires. Oblivions was cut off at the same time, until they got a wonderful filter system installed.

Oblivions was originally out because lime-scale blocked the pipes, no idea if legionnaires has ever affected it but I doubt it. As for Hex it was always said to be due to slippery floors, again it's not the sort of water system you would worry about for legionnaires.

If legionnaires was the reason then it's a damn silly one.

Legislation is legislation, regardless of whether it's silly or not. Why would drizzle on the floor make it any more dangerous than the slippery metal on a soaked sub terra floor?

thefatone said:
Legislation is legislation, regardless of whether it's silly or not. Why would drizzle on the floor make it any more dangerous than the slippery metal on a soaked sub terra floor?

There's no specific legislation on legionnaires, other than water systems should be clean. It certainly doesn't specify exact water systems to use. It seems an abstract excuse for the loss of the water systems.

There is indeed a UV Earl to the left of the scaffolding, but while the UV Hag has been faintly visible this year I don't recall seeing him light up at all, and if I have then certainly not since towards the start of the season.

At opening meet last year when I first saw them in action they were quite noticeable and were really creepy. It was only when we walked through Hex backwards with the lights on at TT@10 this year that I realised they weren't 3D!

The UV Earl probably just needs the same as what the UV Witch needed (a bit of TLC for the UV light). It lights up, just not very brightly!

Hex parks a lot better than it has done in recent months and with only the projector having minor issues the attraction is looking better than it has done for years. (shame the same can't be said for Duel)

If you want to thank anyone, thank Mr Tim Gaylard.

I had no idea about these UV figures, but I'll certainly have to look out for them. Although every time I go on Hex, I notice new things :-[

I wholly avoided Hex at the start of the season because it was looking very sad, and showing signs of neglect.

With the news of these improvements, perhaps I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

I hope the vault music is nice and loud....

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Have they sorted the final bit of the ride when the room goes dark and the eyes on the stone face flash? Last time I went on it, the lights didn't work and it didn't make the weird "gyyyyrrrrreeuugh" noise either! :p

Yes it is working again, it has been taken good care of this year. It is also parking at the end of the ride cycle better.

Ah, that's good to hear! The only thing left to sort now is the relentless crowds of people that play-up during the videos and shout whilst the ride is in-motion, then finally get off the ride and say "I don't get it".

-__-

Yesterday the ride itself was nothing short of awful. The ride started with a loud whining coming from behind the benches. This was followed by a very loud thud and bang as the gondola changed direction. It bounced and jarred several times. The whole cycle was accompanied by these horrible squealing and moaning sounds coming from the ride.

It was also rather concerning to notice that the concealed lighting in the floor appeared to have become unscrewed in their cages, and were sliding around and moving throughout the ride. Surely bashing hot electric lights around isn't going to do them any good...

Also, when the ride parked, it did admittedly move a bit quicker, but it was still taking far too long. We still had to wait a good 15 seconds before being able to get off.

One of the most worrying things, however, was the gondola itself. I noticed when leaving the exit doors that the solid floor and the gondola were really out of alignment. On the one side of the doorframe the floors were sat millimeters apart. However, the width of the doorframe across on the other side the gap was wide enough to get a hand in I would say. Now I know one of the arms is apparently bent, but from the looks of this it has gotten a lot worse. If it continues it won't be long until on side of the gondola is dragging over the drum (If you look in the top left corner on the exit face you can already see drag marks on the wall where they rub). If they aren't careful I can see some serious damage coming to the ride ???

Please Towers! Just get the thing sorted once and for all and secure the ride's future. It's one of the best examples of a madhouse I've seen. To have it in such a sorry state is nothing short of tragic :(

On another note, the rest of the ride wasn't too bad. Though where has the ambient audio from the armoury and post Octagon walkway gone? It was silent. Just the odd crackling and static buzzing here and there. It was strange not having it there...

Just to add to Ians concerns, the audio in the vault is still so low it makes the rest of the awful noises sound so much worse.
Also the vault seems to be very light all the time now. Boo.

Felt this topic needed dragging back up.

So Hex.... That ride we have all seen fall into disrepair despite being often cited as the best mad-house in the world. Well blow me have they not just gone and fixed the old girl up.

So a run down of what's been done:

- Projector fixed
- Cinema room audio louder
- Smoke machine in Octogan working
- VAULT MUSIC IS LOUDER
- Finale chant audio louder
- Finale lighting fixed
- Ride no longer bangs about during the motion
- NEW lighting on the machinery

Seriously I know we love to moan but this is really positive stuff to see from the park on this fantastic ride and really felt like some of the original Hex magic was back. Guests seemed to be truly moved by the ride again based on the expressions on people faces. Yeah there are still areas to improve (though rumour is they have more to do before opening) but quite simply for once I can truly say "well done" Towers.

Whoever was behind the improvements needs a promotion, they have made a Hex geek very happy!

I agree, Hex looked and felt better than ever today and the emotions the ride brings to people is quite simply amazing. Bravo Towers. :twirly:

The audio (the bloke speaking) right at the start of the vault ride cycle is still weirdly quiet.

Really did feel good riding hex over last weekend, just a few small improvements before opening would be fantastic.