• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex

I have to agree that it is much better now, it was the first time in ages that I went on it with a full load of guests, and it just seemed so much more like it was the first time I went on :)

Although when I went on it today it was still making the banging noise :(

That's worrying Josh as it was really smooth over the weekend.

One thing that I noted was how much guests reactions seemed to have improved nice the changes. Last year guests seemed to be almost slightly bored on Hex but this weekend people where absolutely loving it. I truly think the music is essential in adding the emotion to the ride.

Sam said:
The audio (the bloke speaking) right at the start of the vault ride cycle is still weirdly quiet.

I think that has always been quieter than the other audio for the ride, I guess it might have been done to make the music seem more epic or something. I'd imagine its the same audio track as the rest of the vault show, and that wouldn't have been edited.

Yeah it was nice to hear the reactions from the guests so it sounds like they are actually enjoying it, and there were a good few gasps at the end with the chanting now working again :)

The banging was in no way as bad as last year, it wasn't very frequent and you could only hear it if you were listening out for it, but it is a bit worrying that it was fine on Saturday :/

Josh said:
Yeah it was nice to hear the reactions from the guests so it sounds like they are actually enjoying it, and there were a good few gasps at the end with the chanting now working again :)

The banging was in no way as bad as last year, it wasn't very frequent and you could only hear it if you were listening out for it, but it is a bit worrying that it was fine on Saturday :/

Where did you sit in the vault?

Wilsy said:
Josh said:

Where did you sit in the vault?

Entered the vault on the left hand side, first in, and sat on the back row.

Definitely wasn't like that on Saturday, hopefully the relevant people will see these posts :)

The work by tech services and the rides teams can't be ignored, it's certainly not perfect but Hex is getting pretty close to that.

Dave didn't mention the spotlight which didn't work for the whole of last season that illuminates the doors after the pre-show has finished to guide people into the cinema :)

Well aside from the parking the ride was looking nothing sort of spectacular at the weekend! A massive well done to the team at Towers and Vekoma for getting the ride into a near perfect state :D

While the parking is still an issue (If not worse than last year) the overall experience is far more pleasant, with all the sudden jerking and bumping of the gondola which plagued the ride vanishing completely. The whole show feels more or less perfectly in sync, bar the first couple of seconds where the drum very quickly moved up in full light during our show, and the whole experience feels much more effective than before.

I'm still not overly keen on the new flashing lights in the pipes as you enter the vault. It's probably because they flash different colours, so look a little out of place. Just one colour pulsing would perhaps look a little better, like the ones which appear when the actual ride sequence begins. Even so it's something very small I am not doubt a minority on, and I'm sure I'll come to at least just accept it in time :p

Myself and John did notice on the back row on the left hand side that if you listen closely you can still hear a little creaking as the drum rotates, but given the rides age that really can't be helped. Thanks to the overhauled audio system the music is now more than loud enough to mask all the groans and whinnings the system was making last year :p

It's brilliant that time, effort, and money which Towers have put into the ride this year, and it really does show. Hex is at its finest I think I've ever seen it! :D

Now... Duel could do with a few pennies going its way for 2014 ;)

A much improved experience, smoke was brilliant! Not so sure about the disco lights in the pipes but it all adds to it, as well as the new red lights on the far wall (which were off on Sunday? :(). Music is perfectly loud now and all they need to do is sort out the Octagon generator's sparks and I'll be a happy Maggie.

Also loving hearing the chanting at the end really loud - completely adds to the experience. :)

This is great news! Hex finally getting the attention it's deserved for a long time!

I have one question, though. Forgive me if I've missed anything, but has anything happened regarding the curtain in the Octagon?

Does anyone actually know the words to the chant in the Hex soundtrack? I can pick out vocalisations, but not full words. For example the first bit sounds like "Trey-for-car-is-volt-a-mortis-brac-a-mor-pro-far-nis-sar-a" but I have no idea how they fit together or what it means. :p

Alastair said:
Does anyone actually know the words to the chant in the Hex soundtrack? I can pick out vocalisations, but not full words. For example the first bit sounds like "Trey-for-car-is-volt-a-mortis-brac-a-mor-pro-far-nis-sar-a" but I have no idea how they fit together or what it means. :p
As far as I'm aware, it's in Latin, but that's as much as I know. :p

JAMMYD778 said:
The Hex bookcase curtain was working yesterday. Not sure when it was fixed though.

It was working Saturday from what I can remember, so I think it's come along with all the other improvements :)

JAMMYD778 said:
The Hex bookcase curtain was working yesterday. Not sure when it was fixed though.

The curtain there has been working since the start of the 2011 season, the curtain which blows in the wind in the Octagon on the other hand has certainly seen better days :)

Magrathea said:
the curtain which blows in the wind in the Octagon on the other hand has certainly seen better days
You mean it is broken or just not as windy as it used to be? Shame - that's one of my favourite moments in the ride. I also love how the device used to make it blow is so tiny it might as well be a desk fan.

On my last visit I thought Hex was doing pretty well, although lacking in theatricality. I didn't experience any off-putting noises in the vault, for example. And there were the usual missing effects, like the generator sparks and water spray in the Octagon. It's good to hear there have been improvements, the dark rides at Alton Towers always get a bit of attention over the winter which is great.

I wonder if they will ever update those enormous cathode ray screens in the queue and Octagon? It's not necessary but seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

electricBlll said:
Magrathea said:
the curtain which blows in the wind in the Octagon on the other hand has certainly seen better days
You mean it is broken or just not as windy as it used to be? Shame - that's one of my favourite moments in the ride. I also love how the device used to make it blow is so tiny it might as well be a desk fan.

On my last visit I thought Hex was doing pretty well, although lacking in theatricality. I didn't experience any off-putting noises in the vault, for example. And there were the usual missing effects, like the generator sparks and water spray in the Octagon. It's good to hear there have been improvements, the dark rides at Alton Towers always get a bit of attention over the winter which is great.

I wonder if they will ever update those enormous cathode ray screens in the queue and Octagon? It's not necessary but seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

Just looks a bit tatty right now... I know it'd cost quite a bit but in an ideal world it would be nice to see a water-spraying system installed too to bring that effect back, always enjoyed that catching people by surprise :)

As for the CRT TVs, I think their retro looks adds to the attraction in a way, and I can't see them being on anyone's list to replace given that they're all working perfectly well (unlike others on park).

The CRTs are perfectly suited for Hex if you ask me. It's the only ride which could pull then off properly, most likely due to the fact they are so well concealed. The ride doesn't have a "cutting edge" or "modern" image to uphold, like say Oblivion or Sub-Terra. It's meant to be the middle of a construction site (Essentially I'd put that in the same vein as restoration. Hard hats, tools, tarps, scaffold, etc.) so I for one would find it a bit odd walking through and some brand new flat screens being placed around the place. That's just how I see it anyway.

They fit the ride perfectly in this instance, plus I think some of the effect would be lost in the Octagon for example where the video feed is supposed to be interupted. Due to the way CRTs produce light and images they pull off flickering and flashing far better than any LCD/LED/Plasma I've seen.

The water sprays would be great to have reinstated, just to add another sense to the ride. Hex before the vault is all very visual, and aside from the smells there isn't really much which interacts with the riders directly. Bringing back the water could add this to the overall experience, and I think it could be very effective :D

As for the curtain, like James said it looks a little tatty. It doesn't really billow in the way it used to these days. Adding maybe another thin sheet of material aside, or overlapping the existing one so it flaps around a bit more. I've always thought the existing one looks a bit like it's caught at the bottom. It doesn't really flow out and flap around. More, puffs up :p Providing they could lay their hands on a bit of material big enough I doubt it would be that expensive to do. All they'd need is a techie with a ladder to put it up, and possibly move the fan a bit.

I think the ride is looking first rate at the moment in all honestly. We're just looking at the little details which could add to it further :)

They fit the ride perfectly in this instance, plus I think some of the effect would be lost in the Octagon for example where the video feed is supposed to be interupted. Due to the way CRTs produce light and images they pull off flickering and flashing far better than any LCD/LED/Plasma I've seen.
I had that effect in mind when I was typing my post. It does work very well, I like the 'softness' to the picture along with the subtle crackling sounds as the screen dies. A flat screen would technically never do that, it would just silently go blank. There are plenty of "flickering screen" effects on rides these days and it always comes across as a false post-production effect when viewed on a high definition screen.

I think I last felt the water in about 2009, and it came as a good surprise. As it is the Octagon is slightly lacking in theatrical devices; not that I want it to turn into some silly 4D cinema or something, perhaps just some more ambient lighting to reveal the beautifully sinister Gothic interior.