• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hillsborough files released

Tom

TS Member
Well after years of being wrongly dismissive of the 'Justice for the 96' campaign, I am now quite shocked by what has emerged today. As per the BBC News website, the key points of the files released today are:

The panel finds that a total of 41 people out of 96 "had the potential to be saved".

The report finds 164 statements were "significantly amended" and 116 "removed negative comments" about policing operation.

Attorney general must decide whether to ask High Court for fresh inquest after report casts "doubt" on adequacy of original inquest.

The report finds flaws in the police operation and new evidence that the police carried out checks on those who had died in order to "impugn their reputations".

Finally. Whilst not being a supporter of Liverpool, I've believed for a good number of years that the truth deserved to be known. And now we do. It's been a long time coming, it really has.

Kelvin MacKenzie, infamous for that headline about Hillsborough in the Sc*m, is not answering his phone, according to numerous reports from journalists. I wonder why...

I am a Liverpool fan, and I was lucky enough to see the game when there was two minutes silence for the 96 people. And I think that the atmosphere of that game was amazing, better than any game I have ever seen. So I think them releasing this information will finally tell the truth behind the deaths and it will give te families some justice, although nothing could ever make up for losing a loved one like that.

And the way the Sun published the story, it's no wonder why no one buys the Sun in liverpool.

Being a Sheffielder these papers are of great interest to me. To hear such amounts of corruption........ :(

Regardless the Scum should not have published what they did.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

This is why we couldn't just 'let it go'. Now everyone knows what we've known for years.

The cover up, the attempts to shift the blame, the lies from the police and media, it's all finally exposed.

As for MacKenzie, no one will accept his apology, it's clear he means it just as much as he meant the last one. I.e. not one bit.

The only way The S*n can come close to making amends would be to print the headline 'WE LIED' as large as they wrote 'that' headline, and take back every other venomous article and piece they wrote in the aftermath.

Now it's out in the open the fans weren't to blame, those that were can now be brought to justice. I can't even begin to imagine how the families of the victims feel right now.

As anyone with Scouse connections should be, I'm truly delighted this has finally happened. Not really much I can add that hasn't already been said, but I seriously hope the vile rag known as the s*n will finally apologise for that disgraceful bit of "journalism" they wrote all those years ago. :)

It's absolutely disgusting. Shameful. Distressing. There should be huge shame for those responsible for this needless atrocity, and I hope prosecution will follow, not just for mass negligence but also for tempering evidence/perverting the course of justice. A sad but informative account can be found here.

As an aside - I remember there was a discussion on TTF a few months back about Hillsborough in which I expressed a sentiment that those involved move on. This was clearly wrong, and I apologise. I was clearly ill-informed, and I admire the families of those involved for their continuing pursuit of the truth.

So now, along with the Liverpool fans who turned up without tickets and forced their way through security gates etc, we can apportion some blame to the emergency services and the operational side of things at Hillsborough that day.

A disaster caused by several factors which started on the day that the first football hooligan threw the first punch in this country which eventually led to the fact that all football supporters had to be caged in like animals at their local football stadium.

Such a shame that 96 people went out for the afternoon to watch the football and never went home.

The cover up of the Hillsborough tragedy. The illegal collaboration with the News Of The World. The murder of Ian Tomlinson.

All this leaves us to come to only one rational conclusion - With coppers like these, who needs criminals?

I don't know what exactly it is that needs to be done but it is of the utmost importance that this inherent culture of corruption that is rife in the Police force needs to be reformed. In its present state, we cannot trust the police to police themselves, and I find it terrifying.

Institutionally, the police have always been corrupt and incompetent. Yes, there are many - maybe even a majority of - fine individual officers, but until all the bad is erradicated you can't trust them.

To be fair the police who covered this up where from a force many years in the past now, since the disaster safeguards such as the IPCC have been created to reduce corruption. I know many police officers and they are as appalled as anyone about what has been revealed. You will never get rid of corruption in any organisation completely but the Police are not as bad today as some would like to believe.

Meat Pie said:
The cover up of the Hillsborough tragedy. The illegal collaboration with the News Of The World. The murder of Ian Tomlinson.

...and the ever changing stories about the killing of Mark Duggan and Charles de Menezes.

From a few posts on Twitter, there are abnormally large piles of The Sc*m in shops across the country, whereas they'd normally be sold out. Good. That piece of trash deserves to go out of existence for the lies it told about Hillsborough, and for other lies it told.

Jack Straw has blamed Thatcher for creating the 'culture of impunity' the police had that led to the disaster.

Interesting from the media today. Most papers leading with powerful front pages, even including The S*n, but The Torygraph make no mention of Hillsborough, because they obviously can't bring themselves to print anything that could go against the Conservatives, and The Express, which is written by aliens who live on another planet, lead with some made up, racist scare story and relegate one of the biggest stories in recent British history to a banner smaller than some pathetic gossip story about Kate Middleton's reproductive system. Even the New York Times puts Hillsborough on the front page but our right wing rags can't be bothered. Interesting.

And then there's the Scottish Mail who's Hillsborough headline is next to a gossip piece about Robbie Williams' new haircut, which is "too dye for". Wow. Someone seriously needs firing for that.

Jonathan said:
The palm of my hand has hit my face repeatedly. Kelvin MacKenzie wants South Yorkshire Police to apologise to HIM over 'lies told by the police' regarding Hillsborough.
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/kelvin-ma ... lification
What an utter moron. ::)

"Liverpool fans didn’t turn on other media, only the Sun. That has always puzzled me. Was it picked out because the paper had always backed Thatcher, while the city had always been pro-Labour?"

OMFG? Is this man a thick twat or what? The reason we boycott that rag is because of what YOU wrote, not because of any political reasons. Seriously, what a utter twat he is, I really hope one day someone in the street gives him what he deserves. This prat makes Nick Clegg look like a saint.