• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hotel hairdryers and irons

The Hotel we were in near Efteling for new year (please don't ask me to spell it!) was 4 stars... apparently. (I would have said 3, but hey, what do I know?) It had a wonderful 80's charm to it - clearly renovated, but keeping the original style and BROWN colour scheme... And the rooms were the hight of luxury compared to Towers hotels.

...They had hairdryers.

I'm certain both the Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings are classed as 3 star hotels.

That's even worse if they are actually 3 star hotels but self classifying as 4 star!

Surely not even Merlin would be that brazen? ;D

I have to admit I find it strange, if they have a decent rating, why they don't play on that more actually. Leads me to a conclusion, perhaps they don't have one after all, and we've all just assumed they did? (Which I most certainly did).

EDIT: I can also imagine the head of PR/Marketing, reading this with his fingers on his lips, going "SHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone, nobody knows!!" ;D

Thinking back the hotels were 3* and used to have plaques outside, and I think mentioned it on their website.

They were hilariously downgraded to a 2* when the Waterpark was no longer free to hotel guests neither was the original ATH pool (now the spa). Since the hotels then only offered a B&B service with no additional included services they were downgraded. After that they stopped advertising their * rating at all, rather unsurprisingly.

So to see them remove even basic facilities from a room is no surprise, its just further cost cutting. Although you have to wonder was the cost of replacing irons and hairdryers that backbreaking for hotel rooms going for £250 a night? Hmm. Pinch and penny come to mind.

Oh my word Ben! So they are actually potentially not even 1* as defined for every other hotel in the land? Yet they advertise themselves as 4* self classified??

That's the kind of thing you see on Hotel Inspector!!

It's also very stupid, because people go to 4/5* hotels, for the 4/5* experience and pay very handsomely for it. Those hotels make decent money, all year around, because top money is never missing - in fact arguably, in a recession, they do better than mid range (who tend to suffer most).

Those surroundings, and what I consider to be quite lovely looking buildings, could easily be genuine 4* - and to be honest, that is what I expected them to be having not stayed in one, for the price and fanfare.

Turns out, they may not even be 1! That is inexcusable.

I really don't think the removal of hair dryers or irons will be a cost cutting measure. They hardly cost much when it comes to Alton Towers and I personally don't think the hotels have to make cuts as they do well. In fact there is always money being spent on touching up the hotels, something we do not see in the park at all.

:)

Having not stayed in one though TheMan, you can't truly judge what they are like. Not meaning it in a harsh way, but... :)

Star ratings are a load of tosh anyway because they can mean different things to different authorities and peoples perceptions of each level is different too. I think the hotels are great. They're bloody expensive but they do provide a great experience.

The problem with the hotels are the rooms. The bathrooms are in dire need of updating in ATH, some of the beds are shocking, windows broken, no air con, peeling wall paper etc.

The actual rest of the hotels are ok, the public areas seem to be well maintained. Its a pity really as I love staying in ATH (not so much Splash), the hotels have a lovely atmosphere about them. I would rather have seen Alton spend money on updating and modernising the hotels over the next few years rather than build this new village of accommodation.

Having to request a hairdryer at reception would reduce the hotels to your average Travelodge!

What irritates me is, more often than not, hotels where you have to request a hairdryer usually insist that they are returned within an hour or two, which means you can't get one before you go to bed for a shower the following morning :(

Scott said:
Having not stayed in one though TheMan, you can't truly judge what they are like. Not meaning it in a harsh way, but... :)

Star ratings are a load of tosh anyway because they can mean different things to different authorities and peoples perceptions of each level is different too. I think the hotels are great. They're bloody expensive but they do provide a great experience.

No Scott, completely agree with you! I can't judge what they are like, but then, that kinda is the idea behind Star ratings lol!

I've never stayed or visited a 4* hotel, that has been anything less than excellent all round. Decor, service, food, bedding etc. It has to be. There is pretty much a standard to hotels etc to meet, to achieve these star ratings - and on the whole it does work very well.

With lots of hospitality industry experience, I seldom trust a restaurant or takeaway unless it's very highly recommended, but I most certainly trust the star system of hotels to assess potential value/quality prior to a visit.

The trouble again with * ratings is that, unless you undertake a lot of research, each rating means something different to each person. People just take 3 as average and 4 as being a bit better than that usually... Whereas in reality 2 is probably your 'average' hotel with 4 being on the edge of luxury.

Either way, I'm not sure if Towers even advertise a star rating anymore, as they tend to sell the hotels on their individual qualities and the uniqueness of a resort stay these days.

That's true Scott about their USP essentially.

Also, I take stars in general to be a decent indicator of quality, but it is most certainly true that a lack of stars, doesn't necessarily mean lack of such. As you say, an experience of an enjoyable stay is most certainly subjective on the whole.

Jordan said:
Having to request a hairdryer at reception would reduce the hotels to your average Travelodge!

Reduce??? ;D I've stayed in Premier Inns that have a higher level of comfort than AT hotels.

Oh lord, you know it's closed season when... :p

We've got no actual evidence to suggest that hairdryers and ironing stuff HAS been removed from the rooms, it may just be dodgy wording on the site!

We've got a couple of members staying at the hotels this weekend so before everyone jumps at Towers's throats let's see if it's relevant or not :)

I will check this out for you this weekend and post photo evidence if that is what you require! Although I do like taking my own hairdryer as it's more powerful, Alton Towers ones take too long to dry my hair.

I doubt hairdryers will have been removed. They've had them in all rooms since the hotels were built! Irons, ironing boards and fans have been in all rooms for a good few years now. There's no reason for these to be removed, it makes no sense whatsoever.

DiogoJ42 said:
Jordan said:

Reduce??? ;D I've stayed in Premier Inns that have a higher level of comfort than AT hotels.

Without causing an argument, have you really?

I've stayed in way too many Travel Lodges and Premier Inns, and while at Premier Inns are superior to TL (IMO) and the price reflects that, both do not compare to either of the AT hotels.

Natalie said:
I will check this out for you this weekend and post photo evidence if that is what you require! Although I do like taking my own hairdryer as it's more powerful, Alton Towers ones take too long to dry my hair.

I think we need a trip report of you discovering the iron and hairdryer, just to be on the safe side.