• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hotel hairdryers and irons

GaryH

TS Member
After booking the hotel for two nights I just noticed something on the booking screen.... It now says that hairdriers and irons are available upon request, please ask reception upon arrival.

I'm sure these things used to be in every room in the hotels , always remember an ironing board and iron hanging up behind the door or am I mistaken?

Also noticed the water park is now an eye watering £16.50!!

To be fair, on a trip to Alton Towers, how many people use an iron? Unless your a business visitor attending a conference, it seems very unlikely...

I use an iron on my visits - and I'm no business visitor. :)

That is right though, an iron, ironing board, hair dryer and fan have been in all hotel rooms for quite a few years now. Would be a bit weird if they have removed them from the rooms. Makes no sense considering the money spent on getting them for each room.

Sam said:
how many people use an iron?

Bloody students :p

Nothing worse than an un-ironed shirt, so not the end of the world, as long as you can still ask for them. I would be tempted to push it, and get someone to bring it to the room though :)

Ian

josht said:
Surly these are standard items within hotel rooms along with the bible

Don't mention that to Europa Park, there rooms don't have Irons (At Colosseo at least when I last visited), but they do have a fantastic laundry service :)

Ian

If they aren't in the room any more, just so you know, there's the family facility rooms which include an iron, ironing board, washing machine, microwave and fridge. A lot of people don't seem to know about the facility room. It's not well advertised so you have to ask at reception where it is. But I went in the Alton Towers Hotel facility room a year ago and it's pretty good in there. Always good if you have baby food to warm up or something. :)

IanB said:
josht said:
Surly these are standard items within hotel rooms along with the bible

Don't mention that to Europa Park, there rooms don't have Irons (At Colosseo at least when I last visited), but they do have a fantastic laundry service :)

Ian

Haha mighty europa, at least there hotels look amazing :)

Alton Hotels are three star, are they not?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan said:
Alton Hotels are three star, are they not?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I always thought this yes! And I'd say that's just about right.

:)

Kelpie said:
Alton Towers hotels aren't meeting the quality hotel standards, room requirements of a 1* hotel by no longer providing a hairdrier in each room.
So by removing hairdryers presumably in a cost cutting move, Alton have inadvertently reduced their hotels to zero stars?! You couldn't make it up.

LateRooms.com has both Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings as 4* Can't find any mention on AT's own website what rating their hotels are.
http://prntscr.com/onxev
http://prntscr.com/onxcj

However it also adds that this is 'self classified', meaning it hasn't been assessed by either The AA or Visit England, and is the opinion of the owner.

Which pretty much means they're making theirs up! :eek:
Huh, no wonder they can now get away with removing hairdriers then. But yes, under Visit England's requirements (linked to under the European Union scheme to try and unify ratings) AT hotels do indeed technically rank as 0* :p

Towers don't advertise or say it's an any star rating - as something to do with themed rooms means they cannot receive ratings (either that, or they use it as an excuse to hide the low star rating).

They're sexy though, regardless of the oh-so-unsacred stars. Sexy in a 1990s way.

Fairly sure I saw the hairdryer comment on the booking page before but I haven't ever experienced a room with no hairdryer in the hotels. Perhaps its a throwaway remark in case one is missing for whatever reason?

Seems odd though. And inadvertently hilarious that it makes them 0* if they disappear.

I've always thought of the hotels as 3 star. I think for 4 star the rooms would need to have air con.

Going back to the "who uses an iron" comment - well, me for a start, I chuck all my clothes in my bag and when I unpack them with all their creases after the 4 hour drive I give them an iron! Happy days!

I always remember when ATH first opened - colour changing kettles and duck hairdryers - yeah man!

Kelpie said:
LateRooms.com has both Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings as 4* Can't find any mention on AT's own website what rating their hotels are.
http://prntscr.com/onxev
http://prntscr.com/onxcj

However it also adds that this is 'self classified', meaning it hasn't been assessed by either The AA or Visit England, and is the opinion of the owner.

Which pretty much means they're making theirs up! :eek:

Wow Kelpie, great detective work there, this is one of those times they may detest enthusiasts lol!!

There are rather a lot of things, I wouldn't imagine Alton Towers hotels provide on the 1* list - luggage service for example? Iron and board only have to be available, so they may get away with that one, but hairdryers is definitely there.

How weird, I thought they'd have proper star ratings, especially the prices they charge.