• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hotel Prices gone too far?

Ok guys/gals go easy on me, this is my first post. I don't understand half the terminology you use but here goes!

I have been staying over at Alton Towers Hotel from a wee nipper, and year by year it seems to be getting even more expensive? I understand its a supply and demand blah blah blah, I wouldnt mind if they actually refurbished ALL of the rooms as nothing has changed since the first time i stayed when i was 8! It is an awesome hotel but the rooms are none better than a Travelodge now!

Team Edit - Edited for spelling, please check your posts before submitting :)

Re: Hotel Prices gone to far.....?

Energetic_starfish said:
Ok guys/gals go easy on me, this is my first post,i don't undestand half the terminology you use but here goes! I have been staying over at alton towers hotel from a wee nipper and year by year it seems to be getting even more expensive? I understand its a supply and demmand blah blah blah, i wouldnt mind if they actually refurbished ALL of the rooms as nothing has changed since the first time i stayed when i was 8! It is an awsome hotel but the rooms are none better than a travellodge now! .......

I have never stayed in the hotels, the prices seem very expensive to me at certain times of year indeed. To be fair, they do have some ridiculous off season bargains though - and are in great demand in high season.

I did though squeeze in a quick post to welcome you, and ask members to remember you are a new member, and they are not responding to me lol! ;D

Oh and just ask if you need terms explaining, someone will always help I have found.

I was impressed though with the hotels overall more so than I thought, but they do need some things adding, and I hope to check some rooms out soon as they do seem to divide opinion quite strongly on this forum at times.

All the best!

I have to admit is doesnt stop my staying twice a year ( because i live in Wales ) but i will blag the hell to get it cheap as ive been coming since a kid, to be fair the best place i stayed was at Liz's place the chained oak farm!! Your right but who would want to stay off season? it seems to go ridic around scarefest time and simply cannot afford it especially given these economic times! haha nice one bud (y)

Energetic_starfish said:
I have to admit is doesnt stop my staying twice a year ( because i live in Wales ) but i will blag the hell to get it cheap as ive been coming since a kid, to be fair the best place i stayed was at Liz's place the chained oak farm!! Your right but who would want to stay off season? it seems to go ridic around scarefest time and simply cannot afford it especially given these economic times! haha nice one bud (y)

Haha yes very true lol! I thought that about off season also, but the prices for a decent hotel and a waterpark stay, with food included, add up to a decent break if you judge the surroundings etc in their own right and forget Nemesis is next door not doing anything ;D

I didn't see any point either I have to say, but some of the rowdy lot from here do it, have a great time, and for a great price you can definitely class it as an almost separate attraction if that makes sense - with value in and of itself. I have to visit the Oak too, haven't done that either! Fair play though for getting on a bargain hunt - gotta respect that haha!!

Noted you put this (y) - whilst looking a bit risque I assume you were trying to put a thumbs up?

If so, they don't have one here, but I am campaigning to have one installed haha!!

In the meatime (y) to you bud ;D

I've never stayed in them. They simply aren't worth it unless you have virtually nothing else to spend your money on socially. They are primarly used by families that have so much faffing around with their kids on a day at the park, that it's worthwhile to spend two days at the park. The rooms also provide a good experience to kids.

But yes, they are crazily expensive.

I think when you stop in the hotels, twice a year, all your life, they start to lose their shine as you are so used to them, and they never live up to the memories of the past. The last couple of stops I have had in the rooms, I have taken a step back, not tried to compare it to anything else, and just enjoyed the room, and the hotel.

Alton Towers Hotel, and Splash Landing are superior to Travellodge, but I have made that comparison myself, forgetting the little things that make the Towers hotels better. Yes, some of the rooms have seen better days, and the good news is all the room will be getting refurbished soon, but even then, the little things in the room make them special.

You also get two well themed lobbies, and a atmosphere impossible to find at a Travelodge. Annual Pass holders get a discount on the rooms, if you book another stop within 28 days of your previous visit you get 25% off, and there is always plenty of SUN discount rooms available if you plan and book early enough.

The good news if you still can not afford the rooms, is there are some fantastic B&Bs which are a lot cheaper, and are just as nice and within walking distance. The Chained Oak is one I would highly recommend.

Ian

If I can, I prefer to stop in the hotels (ATH being first choice), but agree that some times the prices are just extortionate (but they still seem to fill the hotels!).

There are some good offers to be had on the rooms however, as Ian mentioned above, type in SUN13 to get 50% off the room. If you can go midweek, prices can be very reasonable indeed.

Obviously, if you go peak times, i.e. a Saturday night, particularly in the summer months, then yes, prices will be high.

In terms of local B&B's, the Chained Oak down the road is very good, i've also stayed at the Alverton Motel just on the entrance to Alton which has now been taken over by new owners, they have large rooms (with an upstairs in some cases ideal for families) and is a good price.

If you dont mind staying further out, then the Holiday Inn Express by the Britannia Stadium can be had for £50 a room sometimes, as can the Holiday Inn just off the motorway junction (J15) which has larger rooms and a pool/jacuzzi/sauna for a similar price. Obviously, staying further away you need to cost up petrol to get back to the park, time to get there, parking cost, breakfast cost, etc.

Like I said though, if I want a truely memorable experience then I try and stay in Alton Towers hotel (Splash is my second choice, not too fussed on that hotel!)

Personally I love the hotels, and as it's easy enough to find a discount you rarely pay full price. It was my first time in Splash Landings the other week, and even though it was more expensive than a Travelodge I'm happy I spent the money. From the wonderful lobby to the great theming throughout, the place was amazing and well worth it.

Hotel Prices gone to far.....?

They aren't crazily expensive at all! They are magical and wonderful and personally as someone who stays in them multiple times a season they never lose that magic feeling, along with the novelty of just waking up at Alton bloody Towers!

Had some really cheap nights there too :)

There are some really cheap nights to be had - or extremely reasonable nights - if you book ahead, like with majority of things.

I do recommend you stay in Uttox or Burton (northbound) travelodge if you believe they're similar. You'll think the hotels are pure luxury afterwards ;)

Thank you for the code there, Gary, I might use that for my September visit! Shame it doesn't apply to themed rooms ;) Do you know when the code expires?

I stayed in what used to be the 'Coca Cola' room for my 13th birthday. I remember it being a little run down then, but to be honest I was so tired from the park I didn't spend much time awake in there! So I think using the hotel off-season sounds a great idea, more time to relax and actually appreciate the rooms (hoping of course they are up to scratch) and the waterpark (I've never been) and surrounding area (never seen the oak either).

The code doesn't expire. But each date will only have a limited number of reduced rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I admit i do try using the sun offers all year round but they only allocate so many rooms which is a shame! I wont stop going as it is such a wonerdful hotel but it just needs freshen up!Anyone else remeber the early days when you would get a next day ticked included for free??

The waterpark is "OK" though dont expect too much - its actually quite small and generally I find 2 hours more than enough time to spend in there. If the weather is decent, the mini golf is good fun.

Depending on prices, if Alton Towers hotel is a good price (usually a bit more expensive than Splash, though sometimes not) then go for this hotel, the rooms are bigger and the hotel just has a more cozy feel to it than Splash.

In peak season they are well over priced for what they offer I feel, but if you're staying with friends and sharing the cost it's not bad at around £50pppn.

I have booked 3 nights in May (Sat, Sun & Mon) and it's cost me £280 and at around £90 a night it's great value. If I were splitting the cost its a no brainer to stay on resort.

The attraction is the feel you get whilst there - I love it. I maybe stay once or twice a year on resort and getting back to the hotel straight from the park is wonderful. It may not be a 4 or 5* resort but it beats any of the accommodation that is chosen on other meet-ups. There's just an air about the place that's brilliant.

They do do some great offers throughout the year but I feel the cost when you consider evening meals and drinks etc on top the cost can be wallet busting, but the demand is there so they can charge what they like and people seem to pay it.