• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How do you like your restraints?

I try to have it as tight as possible on overhead, although a few people sway me to have my blivvy restraint a little loose to experience the 'free fall feeling'. I don't mind on lap bars tbh. On grand national, the tighter you have your lap bar the more bruises you have!

As loose as possible, to an extreme that some people would say is dangerous, stupid and unnecessary, but I'm still alive. The ultimate has to be Detonator which is amazing on 3 click, just stunning. I do not condone doing this though, it is stupid, against park rules etc etc

Exception is flyers which are much more pleasant nice and snug.

I've noticed a lot few people seem to object to the idea of "lap bars", claiming the feel unsafe. I believe this is because the term usually refers to a simple bar as found on non inverting family rides, not modern lap restraints.

I propose that we need to update out terminology to keep up with the new generation of restraints.

How about OHLR... Over Head Lap Restraint, for the Mack style ones? At the very least, I think we need to remove the word "bar" from the discription. "Lap restraint" would be more apropriate.

Maurer X Cars are a whole weird type of their own. Though "waist clamp" doesn't sound very comfortable.... Oh, wait, that name fits perfectly :p

Thoughts?

My first coaster was Big Thunder Mountain when I was 8 years old and I thought I was going to be flung out, but since then I've never experienced any fear with lap bars. I've become so used to coasters now I didn't realise until the third visit that the restraints on The Swarm were not standard OTSRs. I just trust whatever they've provided without a second thought.

I imagine now that some of the GP and some thrill seekers will both 'make a call' on a ride based on the restraint system - GP: is it safe? vs Thrill seekers: how intense is the ride? I do have a vague recollection of being disappointed to see there were not OTSRs on X:/No Way Out at Thorpe some years ago.

In a nutshell: I want something I can hold on to easily. OTSRs generally offer this better than lap bars, in my experience. For me, that's all it comes down to. Not whether it's safe or not, but if I can comfortably hold on.

I like everything at Towers pretty snug to me with the exception of Blivvy where the extra room to just drop always adds and extra bit of fun :)

I like my restrains relatively loose, especially on Blivvy at Towers. Going down that drop with a really loose restraint really adds something to the experience. Then I obviously try and keep my restraint loose on any airtime machines!

Spinball on the other hand, as tight as possible!

:)

There was a time when I loved my restraints really tight, but as time has gone on im not too bothered now. The only time I like it tight it when I have things in my pockets, and im scared that they will fall out! But most of the time I have a bag with me, or zip pockets. Its pretty hard in the UK to have loose restraints, as most staff push them down, but you do get one or two who just lift your restraint up to check its locked.

The best was at Europa park, most of the staff just check that they are locked and dont care where they are as long as they are locked.

DiogoJ42 said:
I've noticed a lot few people seem to object to the idea of "lap bars", claiming the feel unsafe. I believe this is because the term usually refers to a simple bar as found on non inverting family rides, not modern lap restraints.

I propose that we need to update out terminology to keep up with the new generation of restraints.

How about OHLR... Over Head Lap Restraint, for the Mack style ones? At the very least, I think we need to remove the word "bar" from the discription. "Lap restraint" would be more apropriate.

Maurer X Cars are a whole weird type of their own. Though "waist clamp" doesn't sound very comfortable.... Oh, wait, that name fits perfectly :p

Thoughts?

Agreed, but finding a name that people will stick with is proving difficult. Lap Restraints is the most accurate but doesn't have the same ring to it. OHLR works for some rides but as Gerstlauer have shown just because it comes over your head doesn't make it any different to the T-bar restraints that come from in front of you. The lap is the important part.

I always loved the name Clamshells from B&M's Hyper coasters but again that doesn't always fit as that's based on the way they look not function.

I think you've got the X-Car right though ;)

As for my preference I honestly don't care. As long as I'm held in place and not getting bashed about it can be as lose or tight as it wants, (excluding Maurer Spinners of course).

I'm not keen on tight restraints, apart from Spinball & Fury!

I LOVE loose restraints on air time machines like Silver Star. I'd have been over the moon with a loose restraint on Expedition GeForce, but their seatbelt and lapbar checking system is REALLY strict and doesn't leave any room for manouvre!

Good old "lapbar" eh? Indeed technology has come a long way in the last few years with the likes of Blue Fire, but the general public will still see nothing on their shoulders and get the heebeegeebees!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Lapbars I tend to have fairly tight as they allow greater movement of the body anyway. I always think the only way this is keeping me in is by pressing on my lap, so tend to have it tight if the ride is forceful. OTSRs I have loose. By design the restrict movement by caging you in. So a loose restraint doesnt matter so much.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not really bother with OTSRs to be honest. Although lap bars are more or less ideal for me on airtime machines.

I generally pull them down as tight as possible - don't really enjoy the feeling of thinking I might fall out and die!!

In terms of the style of restraints, the ones on Air and Swarm are actually my favourite type. I find them really comfortable and you don't smack your head on the side of the bars when going round.

Worst ones I've experienced are on G-Force at Drayton Manor. Uncomfortable and I hate rides that go upside down and only have lap bars...

As I'm stupidly tall, anything over the shoulder feels tight whatever I do (Furios Baco damn near removed my trapezuis muscles) and lap bars have tocope with my seriously bent knees so they tend to be ball-crushingly tight too. The hazards for a big lad.

Ill second that. In fact I only done it after reading this topic a while back. And my god! I feel I have been missing out since I first rode oblivion.

Push your shoulders forward and put your thumbs up whilst under the restraint when the ops come round. You will not regret it! Scared the day lights out of me the first time ill be honest. But, you literally free fall. It's awesome.