• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How do you pronounce the word “scone”?

How do you pronounce the word “scone”?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Apologies if this seems like a slightly strange poll, but yesterday, my family and I were having afternoon tea for my older sister’s birthday, and as is typical with afternoon tea, we each had a scone. As we were eating our scones, a discussion ensued about the pronunciation of the word “scone”. Now while I appreciate that everyone pronounces words differently, most will pronounce this word in one of two ways; most either tend to pronounce the word as “Sc-on”, with the “on” sound added onto the end, or they tend to pronounce it as “Sc-own”, with the “own” sound added onto the end. So I’d be keen to know; what side do you sit on in this very British debate? How do you pronounce the word “scone”?

Personally, I’m a “Sc-on” person. When I was a young child and spoke more formally (I had a really posh British accent as a child… like the sort of stereotypical posh British accent you often see in foreign media), I was a “Sc-own” person all the way. I also pronounced “bath” as “bar-th” and “castle” as “car-stle” back then, for some idea…

But I seem to have drifted into “Sc-on” as I’ve grown older and lost some formality from my speech… don’t get me wrong, I’m still thoroughly accentless, and have quite a stereotypical British accent, but I’ve definitely gained a more informal twang as I’ve aged, and “Sc-on” is now the way I pronounce that particular word.

Also, the joke about scones being the fastest cakes only makes sense if you pronounce it “Sc-own”. For those who have no idea what I’m on about:
  • Joke: What is the fastest cake?
  • Punchline: S-gone… (scone)
That nice joke only works with the “Sc-on” pronunciation unless you pronounce “gone” very differently to how I do…

Interestingly, though, most of my family seemed to agree on it being “Sc-own”…

But I’d be keen to know; how do you pronounce the word “scone”? Is it “Sc-on” or “Sc-own” for you? Or is it an entirely different pronunciation altogether?

Scone is southern, scon is northern...
Isn't it?
It’s hard to tell, as I’m not sure it’s quite that simple.

My late Nan, who had a fairly strong Kent accent, always used to say “Sc-on” like I do… it’s a weird one.

I’m from London, I say it like it rhymes with “gone”. My Geordie wife says it like it rhymes with “bone”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general I would usually say 'sc-on' but to be honest half of the time I do actually end up saying 'sc-own' but entirely in a sort of posh-person-impersonating way for the very small sad amount of joy that it brings me to do it.

iu

I've always lived in the greater Bristol area (old county of Avon) and moved from north to south of the area. In South Gloucestershire we always said "Sc-on" and I still do to this day. When moving just 35 miles away round the other side of the city to North Somerset, and they all say "Sc-own" round here. Including the Mrs who's a WSM girl herself.

But then she also does other weird things like pronounces lottery as "lotchree" where as I say "loh-erree". She calls dinner time lunch time and calls tea time dinner time. We had a passionate debate about it and I won, because why would they call them 'Dinner Ladies' at lunch time? Case closed.

She also lost the scone debate because scones are mainly associated with Devon and Cornwall and they tend to say "Sc-on" there so they must be right. I always associated the "Sc-own" pronunciation with posh people. Like people who live in Wiltshire, but then they're practically cockneys in Wiltshire anyway to me. I'm pretty sure the taffs say "Sc-on" as well (my dad and grandma are Welsh and that's how they say it).

Anyway, jam comes first so it soaks into the scone itself. Surely everyone knew that?

Interesting how it's a pretty even split in most places! This is clearly a very polarising issue...

In terms of what I take on my scone... I'm clearly doing something wrong, as I just have jam on mine! I've tried clotted cream numerous times, but I never seem to like it...

I'm from Kent, and I say Sc-on and in fact I only know one person why pronounces it Sc-own. It's interesting to see how split this poll is!

I was born a Geordie in Northumberland.

Therefore it's scone, to rhyme with gone.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk