• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How the i newspaper could potentially save Britain

Tom

TS Member
With a lot of public opinion and thought processes being driven by lying and fascist newspapers, the rise of the i newspaper could be good in adding a little intelligence back into society.

At 20p per adition, its circulation has been rising quite rapidly since its launch in 2010. Readership rose by almost 40% on last year's figures, while ALL other newspapers suffered falling circulations.

Granted, many people that buy it will alreday have a good level of common sense and probably never bought the scaremongering tablouids in the first place, but if it catches on and becomes popular with more people who perhaps can only afford cheaper newspapers - I feel that can only be a good thing.

Regardless of what you think of its views, I'm sure many people will agree that it's a great deal more intellient and factual than the red top offerings.

If it was released ten years ago it would be a hit, but launching a new newspaper (as good as it is) in an age where every mobile phone on the market can give you up to date news 24/7 seems a little futile to me.

It's great. I'm not a regular buyer but for 20p it's fantastic. A more 'intelligent' version of the tabloids or alternatively a cut down and easier to read version of the broadsheets... It's been a massive success anyway in an industry which has been on rapid decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I quite like the i, but I assure you, it won't save Britain unless it starts including mean spirited misogyny and stories about benefit cheats. People know what they like, unfortunately.

Just because you don't read the other tabloids doesn't mean no one does. People should be free to read whatever paper they want. I personally am not to fond of the i newspaper, I read the Metro because it's free and it does the job. What you deem as a tabloid that people should read. Does not make it a tabloid they will read.

I also find it very strange that you judge someones common sense by what paper they read. I could sit on a bus and read i and people wouldn't find me any more or less intelligent than if I was reading The Sun for example.

The i has news. The Sun has tits. So yes, I am going to judge your common sense and intelligence if you're basically showing the world haven't worked out there's much more tits on the internet for free and without the fascist overtones and lies about people eating hamsters.

LewisNavex said:
Just because you don't read the other tabloids doesn't mean no one does. People should be free to read whatever paper they want. I personally am not to fond of the i newspaper, I read the Metro because it's free and it does the job. What you deem as a tabloid that people should read. Does not make it a tabloid they will read.

I also find it very strange that you judge someones common sense by what paper they read. I could sit on a bus and read i and people wouldn't find me any more or less intelligent than if I was reading The Sun for example.

That largely makes no sense, to be frank. The rest is inference about judging people or having determined what people should be reading.

Just let people read whatever paper they want. Why does it seem to bother you so much?

Um, no one has said people can't read The Sun...

This topic has said nothing more than "The i is better than The Sun because it's an actual news paper consisting of news, and this is a good thing for society."

Fair enough, however basing someones intelligence over what paper they read is just plain ignorant. Newspapers offer different news for different people. It may not float your boat, but it certainly satisfies others. If it didn't contain news it wouldn't be called a newspaper now would it? ;)

LewisNavex said:
Fair enough, however basing someones intelligence over what paper they read is just plain ignorant. Newspapers offer different news for different people.

I have no idea what your getting so worked up about. If a couple of throwaway comments about trashy tabloids being filled with exaggerations and tits are all you can find to get upset about today then you need a reality check.

I challenge you to find me someone who reads the Daily Sport who isn't a total mong. Do that, and I shall bow down to you sir. Otherwise, chill out.

LewisNavex said:
Fair enough, however basing someones intelligence over what paper they read is just plain ignorant.

There are people of high intelligence and high cynicism, sitting in offices and meeting rooms, working out how to make their tabloid newspapers more appealing to people they see as having low intelligence.

I cant remember the last time I read a newspaper (well, the paper type anyway). I tend to read a multitude of news sources during the day and then make my mind up what is believable and what isnt! I find Google News online one of the best places to go as it brings all the sources together.

Novas said:
I challenge you to find me someone who reads the Daily Sport who isn't a total mong. Do that, and I shall bow down to you sir. Otherwise, chill out.
HIIII!

Nah, I don't seriously read it... But buying the Sunday/Midweek/Weekend Sport (yes, there's three a week now!) while at Uni became a house tradition because it was utter filth and trash and made for a hilarious read! Totally made up stories and ridiculous crap filling the pages kept us entertained anyway...

I don't think having the odd browse of the Sun etc is a problem in itself. Having newspapers such as that as your only intake of news, however, would not be advisable. It's rare that I actually buy a newspaper nowadays (apart from my local one occasionally) but I do browse the Sun website on my phone occasionally just to see what rubbish is being aimed towards the spanners in any given week, for a laugh (Usually while I'm on the toilet, which is probably appropriate).

On the whole, I think that if you're one of these people who are SERIOUS about newspapers and what's in them, it would only be right that you do read several different publications with a view to developing the most informed opinion possible by comparing the differing reports, rather than just picking any given broadsheet, trusting it completely, and feeling that you're better than anyone who reads a tabloid publication. Most papers have an agenda or a target audience who they feel compelled to serve with regards to the way that they comment on certain situations, so whatever publication you read, it's usually not likely to be completely impartial.

Read whatever you want (not too much tabloid), but be sceptical, would always be my advice.