• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland 2015

Maelstrom

TS Member
Its almost time for Winter wonderland to open again and will run from Friday 20th Nov until the 3rd jan. And while its over priced and too packed its been expanded this year and has a very impressive ride line up.

The site has been expanded is now nearly double the size and it also has a brand new layout which should help with the crowds especially at peak times. This year there are around 69 rides compared to around 40 last year. The Line up while doesn't include any new big coasters (just two additional kids coasters) there are lots of new rides coming over from Germany and others areas of Europe. This includes the below major new rides for 2015, along with many of the UK's other top traveling rides such as Air and a return visit for the giant KMG XXL that made is debut last year.

Bayern Breaker: Huss Break Dance -(Germay)
Airmaxx Smashing Jump – Fabrice Dotremont (Belgium)
Heartbreaker - Mondial Heartbreaker (The Netherlands)
Trapeze- Maxximum 2 Capriolo- Mondial Capirolo (France)
Daemonium Giant Ghost Train – Worlds largest traveling ghost train (Germany
Hangover Gyro Drop Tower - 100m drop tower (Germany)
Megaspin Twin Spin -
Airwolf Inferno - Mondial Inferno (Germay)
Top Spin - Huss Top Spin

Just a shame you need a new bank loan to ride the rides! its worth a wonder around though if your in London and worth trying a couple of the rides from Germany, such the break dance and Airwolf Inferno and the KMG XXL is a fantastic ride.

That's one of two things that puts me off Winter Wonderland: the stupidly high price to ride the rides, and the horrendous crowds.

OMG OMG A BREAKDANCE!!!,1111111111

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
(Also looking forward to finally riding Airwolf.)

Reactions: Dan
It's been a few years since my one and only visit to Winter Wonderland so far. The increasing amount of hardware being brought across from the continent is good to see, although quite frankly it would take a Schwarzkopf to get me back there.

I did Daemonium at Dusseldorf Kirmes earlier this year on the basis that the transit system looks similar to a Mack powered coaster with rotating seats. Unfortunately the ride as a whole is dreadful (I can't speak from experience here, but that apparently is not unusual for travelling ghost trains). Avoid.

I did Daemonium at Dusseldorf Kirmes earlier this year on the basis that the transit system looks similar to a Mack powered coaster with rotating seats. Unfortunately the ride as a whole is dreadful (I can't speak from experience here, but that apparently is not unusual for travelling ghost trains). Avoid.
Spük is probably the best of the large ghost trains I have done. And even that is pretty meh.

As a local, I tend to go there for an evening in the beer tent over ride whoring. Though obviously with a few rides between steins.

I'm heading here on Monday the 23rd of Nov which with any luck should be fairly quiet. I also had bad experiences of it being horribly crowded so am going early on and during the week.

Well I finally got to visit tonight. Unfortunately I some very bad news to report: The beer hall no longer sells 2 pint steins! :cry: Only single pints were available. For £5.50!!! Even by London standards that's a rip off. The entire event is ruined for me now.

Ride wise, it's not much different from the last few years, with the notable exceptions of Airwolf (great ride, horrid restraints), and Bayern Breaker. I am happy to report that the Breakdance was being run on maximum German settings :D Also worth mentioning that Air was running very well. I've not had a ride that good on it since it was at Tilburg several years ago. Hard to believe it is the same ride that was at Hull a couple of months ago, where it was an insultingly bad cycle.
Of course, the fact that it was nice and quiet may have had a lot to do with this. ;)

Most of the queues were caused by people attempting to pay with cards rather than cash. Some of the rides now accept contactless payment at the "kasse", but it's infuriatingly slow, and requires receipts to be printed etc. Quite often we found a huge queue just to enter the queue... while the queue itself was empty and the ride should have been walk on! I also want to rant about buying printed tickets, then handing them over at the ride in exchange for other printed tickets, only to hand them over again when you get on for them to get binned... JUST SELL BLOODY WRISTBANDS ALREADY! Even if they were £100 you could still get your money's worth out of them with the prices they charge. (That's only 20 rides on the Breakdance...)

As far as coasters go, there is nothing of note if you have been over the last few years. They really need to start getting some better tacks over from Germany, Alpina Bahn would be ideal. Hell, I'd settle for Test Trecke. And for smeg's sake, get rid of that abomination of a Reverchon spinner in a tent and get Hollenblitz over here (OK, that one may be pushing it since it requires even more truckloads than Olimpia Looping). But either way, the event has now grown beyond stupid mouse coasters.

The atmos was great, the ride line up is mostly good, and the event overall is far bigger than ever before, with a much better layout. But the stein embargo has ruined it for me. :cry:

I wish I read this thread before I paid to go on Daemonium, it was dire. :(

Only other ride I went on was the Waltzers which are always a laugh. Prices for pints are ridiculous even by London's standards however it's still a worthwhile day out with a welcoming atmosphere. If you work 9-5pm, book a weekday off and go then (well I guess that's a tip for next year...).

I'd say that Wilde Maus XXL (think I spelled that right) is the only ride of any interest to me at this event. I'm not a massive fan of flat rides but this Wild Mouse is the best I've ridden, and I'm including BPB's Wild Mouse here. Well worth a ride even if it is £7. I doubt that they ever will sell wristbands since the rides come from a variety of different companies.

The thing is with Wild Maus XXL is that the queue line in itself is an attraction. The £7 is essentially for a fun house and a solid coaster together.

Thing that worries me is the rate that the prices are increasing. Alpen Hotel was £4 last year, now £6 this year!

It's safe to say that we'll be seeing a few rides costing £10+ next year.

Been reading through the forums for a while now but never really had a chance to post. However, I thought I would like to share a couple of my videos from Winter Wonderland this year. My youtube channel is Ridelover123, and if you could subscribe it would mean the world to me as I'm almost at 100 subs! I'd like to share a couple of my favourite videos from this years event and I'll hopefully be creating a montage soon so stay tuned!

I also have a few photos to share if anyone would like them and hopefully I will start to post on this forum a bit more often as I am big towers fan from my one(and unfortunately) only visit back in 2014 at Scarefest where I had an absolutely fantastic time and got on some of the big rides such as Air and Oblivion for the first time.

Here's an onride of air, a offride of Airwolf and an offride of Hangover the tower for you to enjoy. More videos can be found at Ridelover123 including on rides of XXL and Bayern Breaker and offrides of Ski Jump and Turnpike. Your subscription would be extremely appreciated :)