• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland 2019

The individual ride prices are expensive but to be expected. What's disappointing is the lack of any sort of wristband.

It's not so bad for a single person but for a family you're going to spend a ridiculous amount of money very fast. Some sort of daytime only wristband would help.

Help them make less money.

Queues have been pretty grim all weekend, they're not struggling to get folk through the doors and wanting to go on the rides.

Queues have been pretty grim all weekend, they're not struggling to get folk through the doors and wanting to go on the rides.
Sorry I'm not sure from your post, do you think they're struggling to get people on the rides, even though there's plenty through the gates?

Sorry I'm not sure from your post, do you think they're struggling to get people on the rides, even though there's plenty through the gates?
I don't think they're struggling with either. There will be some quieter days between now and the schools breaking up, but the higher prices allow them to work with that.

The nature of the event means it has to be pay per ride, really.

Was also at Winter Wonderland yesterday. Waited about fifteen minutes to get in and then around twenty for Wilde Maus XXL (excellent fun, including the fun house elements in the queue!) The event really comes alive at night, especially with the lighting package on Olympia Looping. It reminds me of BPB of yore.

I really like the event in many ways, despite it being such an enormous rip-off. Could do with a few new ride additions to bring me back, plus, while the German village and traditional Christmas areas are great to hang out a drink in, the central ride area is far too hectic when it's busy. I left just before six and people were absolutely streaming in, while I waited another ten minutes just to navigate the barriers at Green Park. Central London is a lot at the best of times, but the festive season really is overwhelming.

People are suckers that's why.

Not really... it's a pretty good Christmas event! It just isn't cheap but what is these days. Cheap days out aren't in abundance in any European cities - London, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam visits all cost a small fortune now.

If you want a Christmassy event with food, beer and rides your options are not extensive. Plus, I think there are a lot of people who go there and don't spend a fortune, there's lots to see - some people are there just to 'be' there.

If you go there and take full advantage it can be a very costly endeavour, there's no doubt about that and I certainly don't doubt you could do a trip to a European park or city for not entirely dissimilar amount if you chose to.

If you are one of the 15m people that live within pretty easy reach of the Tube network, the value proposition is different than for those of us that make up the Northern contingent.

Did anyone get a beer in the Bavarian village? I thought the Bavarian Gold beer was pretty awful.

Yea seems to be the main lager choice, I'll agree it's not the best, abit too fruity for me. Luckily there's afew places still that have Bitburger. And ofcourse, Erdinger

Yea seems to be the main lager choice, I'll agree it's not the best, abit too fruity for me. Luckily there's afew places still that have Bitburger. And ofcourse, Erdinger

I found a bar that had London-brewed German style craft lager that was better too. But the Bavarian Gold was just a bit grim tasting.

I was also not sold on the Bavarian Gold... It didn't taste very German to me. I did spot a better selection over by the rides, albeit, just London Ales etc.

We headed down to WW yesterday. It was super quiet when we arrived around 3.
Headed to daemonium first which was awful and I wish I’d have spent my fiver on haunted mansion instead. next we headed to Santa land to pick up the coasters we didn’t do last year, 9 laps on racing coaster because we were the only people on the train isn’t bad for £3 haha.
next we headed to it’s a small world... just don’t bother this was a fiver I’m never going to get back.
Once it got dark I headed over to my favourite drop tower, hangover, again this was walk on and we got two drops and he held us at the top for what seemed like forever.
Our final ride was a very intense back row ride on looping, it’s still one of my favourite coasters but I don’t remember it crushing my shoulders to death last year but we sat near the front.
overall we had a nice time with it being so quiet, it’s just so damn pricey! £10.50 for a small chicken burger and some chips I’m never complaining about merlin prices again :tearsofjoy:

I wasn't going to bother this year but now I'm tempted. May head down to London for a day. I also want to visit the Transport Museum, just need something else to do in the morning as the sleeper gets in 7:49.

I'm impressed by the vegetarian and vegan options. At least, it looks good on the website!

I've never seen that before!

I thought these were always computer controlled... Imagine if they rolled the car off the end! Or worse, sent a full car out before theyd slid the track back into place

I've never seen that before!

I thought these were always computer controlled... Imagine if they rolled the car off the end! Or worse, sent a full car out before theyd slid the track back into place
Well they wouldnt be very good at their job then!

There must be a blocking system involved somehow, the video makes it look like they just pushed it along and let it join the flow though, weird!

There must be a blocking system involved somehow, the video makes it look like they just pushed it along and let it join the flow though, weird!
It still operates on a block principle (although the storage is one 'idle' strip - you can have multiple vehicles there, sometimes with intelligence in the PLC, sometimes without).

The car is pushed onto the lift, which is a clear block. If you pushed the car onto the lift when it was occupied, it would e-stop.