• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland: General Discussion

A friend of mine is at HPWW and said that ride prices haven’t really increased this year. Olympia and Archibald remain at £9 with other major attractions and big rides topping out at £8.
I presume they haven't increased because they were already too cheeky. 9 quid for one ride is stupid money.

Have to cover the extortionate costs involved with transporting it across the channel though. 50 trucks it takes.
The amount of money they must make off of that thing more than covers the cost of transporting it accross the channel plus a sizeable profit margin. It's too expensive and out of the majority of the countries price range. I admit it must cost a fortune to get it over here but surely not enough to charge that much.

The amount of money they must make off of that thing more than covers the cost of transporting it accross the channel plus a sizeable profit margin. It's too expensive and out of the majority of the countries price range. I admit it must cost a fortune to get it over here but surely not enough to charge that much.
As others have pointed out before though, it is a premium event.

A friend of mine is at HPWW and said that ride prices haven’t really increased this year. Olympia and Archibald remain at £9 with other major attractions and big rides topping out at £8.
I honestly don't think Archibald is worth 9 pounds but it is probably because of the VR. At least it is a good ride, unlike DBGT.

I paid £9 for OL at last year's event and paid $10 in November for The Santa Monica Pier Rollercoaster at the rubbish current exchange rate.

Looking back now £9 for OL doesn't look like bad value.

Last edited:
OL is typically €7-8 in Germany, €10 at Oktoberfest.

£9 is the going rate given transport costs, red tape etc.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I don't have an issue with the price. After schlepping that thing across the channel, I suspect that they could charge more than they do, but suspect that could perhaps dent the number of repeat rides. An inflation busting £9 feels ok to me, there's definitely a perception thing when you hit double figures.

I've always argued that it's a premium event and the prices reflect that. It will be interesting to see how the squeezing of disposable incomes (hate that phrase) will affect things for events like this.

It's in London, its catchment and proportion of middle-class users is extreme. Not sure it'll be affected too much by current inflation in terms of revenue.

It's in London, its catchment and proportion of middle-class users is extreme. Not sure it'll be affected too much by current inflation in terms of revenue.
I'm not so sure.

Anecdotally, I know so many people who earn pretty well but considering their income, they don't have much of a buffer and have committed spend on lots of things that will go up substantially - completely outside of their control. The middle classes have been pretty intoxicated on cheap credit, after all.

It's hard to be certain what the demographics of the visitor base are, but i suspect some folks who are really going to struggle, if they aren't already, will make up a not insignificant proportion of the guests.

It's a good collection, Olimpia Looping and Wilde Maus XXL would be great coasters anywhere let alone as travelling rides.

Ice Mountain is really well done but as they've had different coasters under the sheets it's difficult to rate the coaster. I enjoyed my ride at Fantasy Island when it was there in 2020 more than I did it 2018 at HPWW.

Not done Time Machine but Heidi The Coaster which it's a clone of is a really good update of the spinning wild mouse.

Racing Coaster is good fun, think in 2018 I counted I got about 15 laps.

Eurocoaster isn't good, but it's pretty unique. Basically an inverted wild mouse layout.

The wacky worm and runaway train are just the generic staples you find everywhere.

Perhaps controversially, I didn’t especially rate any of HPWW’s coasters when I went in January 2020.

I’m not overly keen at all on wild mouse coasters, which make up a significant proportion of HPWW’s lineup.

Olympia Looping was a ride I personally found underwhelming. It’s a very impressive beast from an engineering and visual standpoint, and I really wanted to like it, but it’s not a ride I especially enjoyed at all in terms of the actual ride experience. I personally found it a touch too intense for my own tastes, and I also found the shoulder bars were extremely uncomfortable and detracted from the ride for me.

My favourite ride at HPWW by some margin was HangOver. Now that is an awesome ride, in my view! I love a good drop tower, and HangOver is a truly superb one; it’s very tall, but that drop is so punchy, yet surprisingly sustained in terms of sensations! Talking honestly, it’s probably one of my favourite drop towers, and I’d quite possibly go as far as to say that it might beat any permanent UK drop tower for me!

Just got back from an afternoon there. Despite being daytime, midweek in November it was surprisingly busy, with a good atmosphere. Olympia Looping was excellent... just an incredible piece of machinery and engineering. People above discussing the price of it, but I can't imagine how much it would cost to transport... no issues here with the £9 price tag.

Hangover was only doing one drop - I'm sure it used to do a midway drop then a top drop??

Ice mountain surprised me with the amount of spin, but during the day the tent is light and doesn't really do much.

Haunted mansion was unique, but short.

As for Eurocoaster... its a +1 I guess.

Prices for beer etc were OK for London. £6 for a pint wasn't terrible.